stalling a 3.2 DSG?

slimbloke

Reaction score
Website
www.underwired.com
stopped at a pedestrian crossing. went to pull away, and the engine died... after starting her up again, the ENgine management light is on all the time... booked it in, but can't be seen for another week.

it's driving now as though nothing ever happened (other than the light on the dash), so am I right to presume I can carry on driving until taking it to the dealer on Tuesday?

any idea what it might of been? never had any problems before, other than once I had the same light come on for a few seconds (twice) when excellerating hard, and the dealer said it was a single missfire probably due to bad petrol.

My understanding of the engine management light is that you should do as little driving as possoble and take it to the dealer ASAP..

when mine come on they said it was OK to drive about like. God knows why it did though

Something as stupid as a blown fuse will cause the engine management light to come on. If theres a problem and the car shouldn;t be driven yuou'll get a buzzer come on and STOP in the DIS display will appear.

The chances are it is nothing more than a glitch in the ECU that will have reset it self. Is the engine management light still on after leaving the car turned off for a while?

I wouldn't worry.

J.

yeah, I looked this morning, and still on after leaving it all night.

called the dealer about driving it, and they said that if I can't feel any difference in the drive of the car, it's ok to carry on driving it.

under warranty, so it's their loss if anything else crops up in the mean time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Put a call into the Audi breakdown service, get them to look at it today.

Ideally you shouldn't drive the car with the engine mangement light on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above, if the dealer can't see you for a week use Audi Assist - that's what they are there for.

Kev.

I've used them 3 times, each time easily within the hour, although they sent the RAC on one accasion and needed their help on another.

Kev.

hopefully it's just a case of plugging in for 30 mins, and saying it was "a glitch that happens sometimes" and reset it... fingers crossed.

thanks for the Audi Assist advice!

I presume their details are in my manual/pack I was given when the car was delivered(?)

Not sure but heres there number if not: 0800 699999

You can always ring them today and book a time for tomorrow if you like, they're very good like that.

J.

As I left my number with the dealer in case anyone cancelled during tomorrow, they have just called and I can take it in at 2pm... sorted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thx anyway!!!

I've had a few leccy probs. Including a complete breakdown in the wet (long story).

Audi Assist / RAC said that the yellow ECU light means there is a non-critical error that needs attention, take it to the dealers at your leisure. Anything critical would give a red indication and buzzer (had those too).

Always found if I just turn up at the dealers (any dealers - been to 4), they'll take it into the workshop immediately and do a diagnosis (takes 5 seconds on-line)

If I phone them up, they're always too busy. Plus you book in, take time off work, wait patiently, then they say:

"computer says Naaaah - we've looked and it needs a new o-ring/clip/washer (cost 5p) so you'll have to book it in AGAIN / more time off / hassle when we've got the part"

Useless.

Dealer said it was a faulty Air Mangement something-or-other, which I'm getting swapped out on Tuesday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like a faulty MAF (mass air flow) sensor then - fairly common VAG problem. Mine went on my MKIV 4Motion after about 45k miles - 5 minute job to swap. I'd kinda hoped they'd sorted out this problem by now.

Those MAF's must be a pain on cars in general.
My mate's Alfa 156 has just had all sorts of problems with his.
Stalling and poor running in general.
He tried all sorts before replacing the MAF.
Quite an expensive part too (around £100).

[ QUOTE ]
Those MAF's must be a pain on cars in general.
My mate's Alfa 156 has just had all sorts of problems with his.
Stalling and poor running in general.
He tried all sorts before replacing the MAF.
Quite an expensive part too (around £100).

[/ QUOTE ]

VW does an exchange for about £30 iirc - the part is around £100 if you don't exchange your old one.

If the Maff is faulty surely there would be other problems like - poor acceleration and poor top end power etc ?

If it has been gradually getting worse over a period of time, you can be hard pressed to tell that it is down on top end power. Poor acceleration is usually more noticeable, but again if the degradation has been gradual you can start questioning whether it's the car or in your head. Most obvious is the stuttering/misfire under acceleration, but this doesn't happen all the time, and usually only starts when the MAF has pretty much died. When I did the swap on my Golf, it felt like the car had a new lease of life, and I was like whoa - this is how it should have felt for the last 3k miles. Was kicking myself for not having done it earlier, but the error codes that were being thrown were isolated mis-fires, not much else.

[ QUOTE ]
Most obvious is the stuttering/misfire under acceleration

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that, as I've 2 misfires in the past 3 months... only enough to make the engine management light come on for a minute then go away, but enough for the dealer to tell me it was a misfire due to "possibly bad petrol". I guess we know know the real reason.

I'm now looking forward to seeing if the car is suddenly back the normal performance, if it's been gradually degrading over time.

According to an Alfa forum,a faulty MAF will not show on diagnostics.
So,presumably,'lazy' dealers can miss it and look for any old thing to blame.

Ive had a couple of POPS and bangs from the exhaust when driving hard, but its never missed a beat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mind you it only gets used on a Sunday.
During the week i use a van to keep the miles down on the A3.
Had the A3 nearly a year now and its only done 3500 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif