NEW A3 2012

harmeetsaggu

Reaction score
HI Guys

I am looking to get a New Ish A3 1.6 TDI Sport on 2012 plate 10,000 miles from the main dealer.

Have any of you got any tips to look out for or know of major issues that this model has.

thanks Harry

HI, There has been a lot of info and comments about this model not been as economical as people think, so if economy is not the key factor for you, then I would consider the 2.0 TDI, more refined and more powerful without a big difference on economy.

that's pretty much all I've heard too, but at that age, it should be like new anyway and have warranty

Got the 1.6 TDI engine and finished a 30 mile journey this morning at 50mph with 67mpg. Normally get around 60 mpg. Has been very economical for me but does lack power if thats what you're after!

Got the 1.6 TDI engine and finished a 30 mile journey this morning at 50mph with 67mpg. Normally get around 60 mpg. Has been very economical for me but does lack power if thats what you're after!
Just goes to show it can be done... :)

HI Guys

I am looking to get a New Ish A3 1.6 TDI Sport on 2012 plate 10,000 miles from the main dealer.

Have any of you got any tips to look out for or know of major issues that this model has.

thanks Harry

Well...

1. If you want one then move quickly - I've missed three deals in the last 5 days by dithering !

2. I've secured one tonight, swapping in my Mk 6 Golf with the same engine and gearbox.After 63k miles in the Golf I can safely say..

a - you can get good economy from this engine - i used to do a regular north to south wales run on the A roads and when traffic conditions or my mood dictated, I would just go with the general flow at 50-53mph, then I could get 67+ mpg. My best for the trip was 76.3mpg using the cruise and tootling at 52mph for most of the journey (61mph on dual carriageways).
b - you can also get poor economy - a 20 mile motorway run at 80mph on the cruise will give you 44-45mpg
c - the engine isn't the best for A/B road overtaking - i fitted a tuning box for a while and it did make a big difference but i got fed up taking it off for servicing so it stayed off. I learnt to be more patient and preserve my license !
d - tyres and wheel size make a big difference to mpg - I got 5mpg more on average on my lighter, thinner 15" steel wheel winter tyre combination than on my 17" summer wheel set, based on 3 winters and 24k miles.

3. - Faults - I had a high pressure fuel pump failure after 14 months, 21k miles - fixed under warranty otherwise £1200. And in the last month a EGR valve failure that VW paid 95% of the bill, even though out of warranty (would have been £1000).

These faults could happen to any make or model though - all Bosch units

My fathers A3 1.8TFSI Sport (MY10) has been faultless - not a single fault in 3.5 years.

Last edited:
Well...

b - you can also get poor economy - a 20 mile motorway run at 80mph on the cruise will give you 44-45mpg

lol you guys crack me up. If I see anything above 25mpg im happy. 17-20 up hills around town.

Reactions: Zak0123
Well i guess its all relative - if you do 20k miles a year and pay for it all out of your own wallet then eventually your head and bank balance say find something comfortable and economical.

Your 25mpg would translate into an additional £4400 fuel bill over three years for me - or put it another way nearly £11k in fuel over three years.

Well i guess its all relative - if you do 20k miles a year and pay for it all out of your own wallet then eventually your head and bank balance say find something comfortable and economical.

Your 25mpg would translate into an additional £4400 fuel bill over three years for me - or put it another way nearly £11k in fuel over three years.

Yea I try not to think about it thanks :p

Hi Guy this is some good info.
to be honest the car is for the parents. They are more concered about the fuel than power.
Good feed back thanks.
Seen a 1.6 TDI 14000K on a 12 plate at the main glasgow dealer. Going for a test drive this weekend. not sure is i should go for the S-Tronic or Sports manual.
Harmeet

If they don't do lengthy trips on a regular basis then diesel with the dpf may not suit them. Diesel for short urban trips are a real no no unless they are going to give the car a decent run once a week (30+ miles) once a week

check out the usual car related things, and leave the rest to manufacturers warranty + dealers preparation!

pick out anything that you see/think is wrong, and tell them to ****** well sort it, AND give you a discount!!! :)

Also look at othe dealers, I found £1.5k difference in prices for the same car across dealers within 100miles of me !