EGT Protection Mode

NobberUK

VAG Junkie
Reaction score
Morning All,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this as I think this maybe what's happening to my car?

Symptoms are it boosts to 1.5bar then instantly drops to 1bar which is then holds until further up the range.

I'm going to try and do some logging today but wondered if anyone else has/had suffered with this?

Spec:

ITG Maxogen
Rev D Valve
Full non res Miltek with 100 cell sports cat.
LOBA/Sachs 550nm SMF kit
Revo Software
RS4 Fuel Return Valve
Autotech Internals

Errr, think that's it!!

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Nobber

I believe that EGT protection mode will also add extra fuel so you really need to get some logs to have a better idea of what its doing.

I'm using DashCommand on iPad for logging and a wifi dongle. Do you know which items (PID's) I need to be logging?

Lambda, EGT, Specified Boost, Achieved Boost, Injector Duty, Fuel Trims, Fuel Pressures and anything else that would be relevant.

Reactions: NobberUK
Ok so turns out my EGT's are shooting up to way over 1000, which is then dragging the boost back down to 1bar or less.

Spoke to REVO, only other time it's been seen is on Milltek's Golf R, which was a suspected Cat Collapse. Spoke to Milltek who say even after swapping the cat the problem returned after a short period of time.

Anyone any other ideas at all? Kinda getting a bit pi$$ed off with this.

What car? Assuming S3?

One option is to try a standard map first, see if it still happens as to point to the map or a physical problem. Would expect that to be an exhaust blockage though as you've said so removing the downpipe for inspection would also be an avenue to pursue.

Thanks mate. I'm making a list of possible causes and plan of attack on ticking them off one by one. Problem is I need to get money together as I spent my last 'slush fund' penny on getting the car sorted to stage 2+ and now to be left with this is a bit of a ball-ache!

Ok so turns out my EGT's are shooting up to way over 1000, which is then dragging the boost back down to 1bar or less.

Spoke to REVO, only other time it's been seen is on Milltek's Golf R, which was a suspected Cat Collapse. Spoke to Milltek who say even after swapping the cat the problem returned after a short period of time.

Anyone any other ideas at all? Kinda getting a bit pi$$ed off with this.

It's very odd,as I'm sure you've already worked out.

Mine ran at Stg2+ with no problems apart from a misfire early on,which was down to airflow limiting through the stock airbox,and was trouble-free after.

Running an EGT of 1000C is not far short of what a race turbo will endure,and something is far wrong for yours to be seeing those temps.
Do you know if the car is running excessively lean,or running a lot of advance?

I honestly don't know Alex. I gave it to the tuner 1 day, picked it up 2 days later, after they'd done the work on the car. I saw the graph on the dyno screen and was impressed with the figures so paid the bill and left. For the first week it was incredible, loved it but since then it's poor.

I've been back up to the tuner a few times, once to get the exhaust re-aligned, another with a strong fuel smell and a third to do some logging which got me the EGT temps.

I know the guys up there very well and have used them for years, but this whole thing is concerning me, especially now after you saying that a race turbo only endures that sort of heat.

Did you manage to see what the lambda reading was before/during/after the 1000c run? It's either backing up exhaust gas of getting stupidly lean.

Definetly sounds something wrong somewhere as there are a lot of people happily running stage 2+ without issue.

Car is going back to the tuner on Tuesday for them to sort the issue.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Thought I would update the thread with the latest info:

CAT has not collapsed as per previously thought
Not running excessively lean
Not running a lot of advance
Everything is tight/connected!

Car has dropped down back down to around 300bhp or less mark according to the calculations from the g/s data logged.

No errors being logged.

The hunt continues!

Good luck.

Replied on VAGOC.

Reactions: NobberUK
Here's another update:

Got the car back.

Long and short of it, ECU has been removed and replaced with a stock one and the issue has magically gone.

Custom map then applied and the car is now an animal again! Boosting 2 bar holding 1.7 at present.

Will update again when I've run it/tested it for a while.

Here's another update:

Got the car back.

Long and short of it, ECU has been removed and replaced with a stock one and the issue has magically gone.

Custom map then applied and the car is now an animal again! Boosting 2 bar holding 1.7 at present.

Will update again when I've run it/tested it for a while.

Very glad this has been sorted at last for you......sounds like the ECU was corrupted or faulty.

Very glad this has been sorted at last for you......sounds like the ECU was corrupted or faulty.

Yeh certainly looks that way.

What are your thoughts on 2bar peak and holding 1.7bar Alex? Seems quite high but perhaps I'm just paranoid now!?!

Yeh certainly looks that way.

What are your thoughts on 2bar peak and holding 1.7bar Alex? Seems quite high but perhaps I'm just paranoid now!?!

That sounds pretty well maxed out.

A K04 would probably just about hold 1.7 bar but it would be at its limits.

That of course is the benefit of the BT kits producing bigger boost with lower turbine speeds and lower EGTs.

Good news though that's its back to full health.