S3 Clunking/Knocking noise coming from front end even after changing drop links!!

muzzy1990

Reaction score
iv got a 2008 s3 that was lowered before i bought it. not sure on what but recently ive had a clunking/knocking noise coming from the front left of the car which after a bit of research changed the drop links. the noise is still there and is getting worse! the smallest bump and im getting noises and its driving me insane!! any ideas guys would be much appreciated!

Anti roll bar bushes maybe? They'll knock when you hit bumps if the rubber (or poly, depends what you've got fitted) bushes are worn.

im not sure, the car went into audi for a mot 2 weeks ago and i did mention it but they said theres nothing wrong. it even went for a service lat week and again not a peep!

i would take a guess at ARB bushes also. Took mine into the garage 4 weeks ago for them to investigate a knocking noise i had on the front which i was only experiencing when going over pot holes. Took it for a road test and it didn't knock at all - no potholes. They then got it up on the ramp and couldn't really find anything obvious except for some very minor play in one of the ARB bushes.

So i booked it in to have these bushes replaced and when they took the old ones off they both had massive holes in them

Will likely be subframe shifting, fixed with tyrolsport deadset subframe kit. Or worn strut mounts.

I've got the dreaded clunk over uneven surfaces as well and it's doing my head in. The arb bushes are fine so I'm going to try new top mounts and bearings.

If this doesn't fix it is the Tyrolsport Deadset kit available in the UK, or do I need to order it from the US?

Order from US but shipping is quick. I got mine in NZ within 2 weeks.

Thanks mate. Didn't realise you're in NZ! Awesome GTI in the UK stock the ECS Tuning Spacer kit @ just over £14 so I'll probably try that as a much cheaper alternative.

I had similar issue when turning at parking speed, took it to Audi and they gave me a new set of front Coil Springs and Top Mounts

Racks have been mentioned in older threads causing this. A bit of slop in the steering arms/tie rods can cause this problem. You can check them by wiggling them up and down or for and aft. Have this fault on the daughters Corsa at the mo and they are well known to have loose steering arm/tie rods.

I've got a similar sound coming up the farm track to my house. It's not affecting handling so far so just going to hope it lasts until I get round to buying bushes and coilovers.

Yeah this isn't the same noise. It's a knocking over uneven ground. I'm worried it could be the steering rack.

More then likely the rack, hit the right handside inner track rod with a rubber mallet down or upwards you will hear a slight rattle from inside the rack. Had mine changed recently.

I had this on my 3.2 sport it clunked liked something hitting as it went over drain cover or uneven surface. I replaced both front arms which cured it. The culprit was the alloy bodied rear lower control arm bush was worn out but i couldnt spot it by usual means , pry bar etc. only once it was off and o compared it with new one. Thus bush is bolted to body and the lower conrol arm locates in it with a worn bush the noise you hear is the alloy of the control arm hitting the bush housing.
You can buy bushes of ebay seperatly although i decided as the arms were coming off to replace as complete components.
Heres a pick its the silver alloy bush on end of arm

Reactions: JimK