JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Gearbox noise

  1. #1
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    592

    Gearbox noise

    Hi
    i seem to have a bit of a whine from my gearbox at low speeds in 1st and 2nd not sure if its the gearbox or transfer box I also have a bit of klunk when I realease the clutch although the gearbox is still very smooth however I would like to check the fluid levels of both the gear and transfer boxes not sure on level plug location ? I also wondered it it could be my clutch release bebearing

    anyone had similar issues ?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,352
    Quite a few threads on this now.

    The selector forks and synchros wear,as do the gearbox bearings,and the transfer case can also whine.

    A lot will depend on what sort of power you run,and how well you treat the transmission,but none of those are cheap fixes.

  4. #3
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    592
    I treat the the gearbox pretty well, it's only done 36k it's totally standard kinda just a run around really i only hear it probably up to 10 mph I have a slight seal leak on the output shaft of the transfer box drivers shaft side

  5. #4
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
    I treat the the gearbox pretty well, it's only done 36k it's totally standard kinda just a run around really i only hear it probably up to 10 mph I have a slight seal leak on the output shaft of the transfer box drivers shaft side
    The transfer case is a bit of a pain,as VAG don't sell parts for it,and will only replace the whole thing.

    Hopefully it would be something simple like selector forks or bearings.

  6. #5
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    The transfer case is a bit of a pain,as VAG don't sell parts for it,and will only replace the whole thing.

    Hopefully it would be something simple like selector forks or bearings.
    How simple would it be to identify the fault and repair my self I can get use off ramps occasionally , it seems more obvious when coasting or overrun down a hill I got a friend to price the transfer case seal it was only £5 but am unsure on how to check the levels in each box or if the oil is shared I thought it would be a good place to start with fresh oil
    cheers

  7. #6
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
    How simple would it be to identify the fault and repair my self I can get use off ramps occasionally , it seems more obvious when coasting or overrun down a hill I got a friend to price the transfer case seal it was only £5 but am unsure on how to check the levels in each box or if the oil is shared I thought it would be a good place to start with fresh oil
    cheers
    Without opening either and looking for wear on bearing,selector forks and geartrain,it would be very difficult.

    Simply draining the oil,looking for brass filings(mine certainly had some of that from the worn bearings) and then replacing the oil after a thorough washout would be a good start for sure.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. gearbox noise on 2.5Tdi V6 1999
    By Neutech in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th July 2010, 16:47
  2. Gearbox Noise 5th Gear
    By david_phillips95 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd October 2009, 10:01
  3. gearbox noise
    By raver100 in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th October 2009, 05:20
  4. 1996 1.8T FWD sport gearbox noise
    By billybravo in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th August 2006, 21:40
  5. gearbox noise
    By 663KAY in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th April 2005, 13:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO