Gearbox noise

Chillout

Reaction score
Hi
i seem to have a bit of a whine from my gearbox at low speeds in 1st and 2nd not sure if its the gearbox or transfer box I also have a bit of klunk when I realease the clutch although the gearbox is still very smooth however I would like to check the fluid levels of both the gear and transfer boxes not sure on level plug location ? I also wondered it it could be my clutch release bebearing

anyone had similar issues ?

Quite a few threads on this now.

The selector forks and synchros wear,as do the gearbox bearings,and the transfer case can also whine.

A lot will depend on what sort of power you run,and how well you treat the transmission,but none of those are cheap fixes.

I treat the the gearbox pretty well, it's only done 36k it's totally standard kinda just a run around really i only hear it probably up to 10 mph I have a slight seal leak on the output shaft of the transfer box drivers shaft side

I treat the the gearbox pretty well, it's only done 36k it's totally standard kinda just a run around really i only hear it probably up to 10 mph I have a slight seal leak on the output shaft of the transfer box drivers shaft side

The transfer case is a bit of a pain,as VAG don't sell parts for it,and will only replace the whole thing.

Hopefully it would be something simple like selector forks or bearings.

The transfer case is a bit of a pain,as VAG don't sell parts for it,and will only replace the whole thing.

Hopefully it would be something simple like selector forks or bearings.

How simple would it be to identify the fault and repair my self I can get use off ramps occasionally , it seems more obvious when coasting or overrun down a hill I got a friend to price the transfer case seal it was only £5 but am unsure on how to check the levels in each box or if the oil is shared I thought it would be a good place to start with fresh oil
cheers

How simple would it be to identify the fault and repair my self I can get use off ramps occasionally , it seems more obvious when coasting or overrun down a hill I got a friend to price the transfer case seal it was only £5 but am unsure on how to check the levels in each box or if the oil is shared I thought it would be a good place to start with fresh oil
cheers

Without opening either and looking for wear on bearing,selector forks and geartrain,it would be very difficult.

Simply draining the oil,looking for brass filings(mine certainly had some of that from the worn bearings) and then replacing the oil after a thorough washout would be a good start for sure.