covering number plates

harvz

Reaction score
Hi lately I have seen loads of audis especially a5 and a4 with sosomething over there numberplates. It looks quite good

I tried googling it but don't know what they are called or if they are legal

There are 2 types I have seen. 1 makes the numberplate look darker and the other one hides the numberplate from a side angle but as you walk Head on towards the car you can see the numberplate again.

I have only seen it in audis in Notts does any1 know what this is or if it's legal and where to get them?

I think it stops you getting caught by speedtraps its a film the reflects the light.. Its naughty.. I know nothing :ninja:

Yh the police in Notts really don't care about illegal car mods people are driving with front windscreens tinted and illegal numberplates. My plates are not illegal tho I would never have illegal plates my profile pic shows that :eyebrows:

If any1 sees a link of some1 selling them It would be interesting to see but not buy obviously... Yh we all obey the law

At first i thought you meant the show plates that look kind of rubber almost, normally the same colour as the paintwork on the car, i have always wondered what these are but what i think you are referring to is similar to this picture (on the MK2 Focus RS http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/knighty99/20120121_115033-2.jpg)

If anyone can enlighten me as to the coloured plates that look like they are made of rubber i would be interested to know - similar to this picture http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8301/7916740056_b3641b11aa_z.jpg

Yh the st that is at the back is what I'm referring too. Is that a show plate? When I saw it on the a4 it looked as it was mounted on the original plates....

Hi lately I have seen loads of audis especially a5 and a4 with sosomething over there numberplates. It looks quite good

I tried googling it but don't know what they are called or if they are legal

There are 2 types I have seen. 1 makes the numberplate look darker and the other one hides the numberplate from a side angle but as you walk Head on towards the car you can see the numberplate again.

I have only seen it in audis in Notts does any1 know what this is or if it's legal and where to get them?

To be honest, don't bother. Whatever it is will be illegal.

It won't be 100% guaranteed to work and you'll feel rather annoyed if you get caught. Plus it will encourage you to drive a bit faster.

- I remember a case where a dude had front jammers fitted to his porsche and knew he was coming up to a speed van and gunned it past at 120mph whilst sticking his two fingers up. Needless to say he didn't get caught speeding as he jammed the gun but he did have a couple of cops visit his house after a few days. Think he was fined for something or other though.

The same sort of principle applies here I feel.

Yh the st that is at the back is what I'm referring too. Is that a show plate? When I saw it on the a4 it looked as it was mounted on the original plates....

Its not a cover the plate has a different reflective lacquer or something on it, a lot of cars have it on, i think Rob (who owns the RS in question in the pic) just wanted it as it matched the matt grey wrap he had but as Cruiser89 says it will be illegal so why bother. i have the legal german pressed plates (from Dubmeister) and they have the correct lettering (UK Style) no slogans, also carry their address and the BS at the bottom so fully compliant and they look great :)

I bought some number plates off ebay, look totally normal and no weird spacing or anything but the postcode at the bottom is a bit blurry... The seller on ebay says they conform 100% to DVLA standard, does this mean they illegal?

I bought some number plates off ebay, look totally normal and no weird spacing or anything but the postcode at the bottom is a bit blurry... The seller on ebay says they conform 100% to DVLA standard, does this mean they illegal?

Yh u will be fine, it's not like u purposely done it, that's what u get told off for. If u say I bought the car like this and u establish its not done on purpose when u do get pulled over and in a rare case they even notice it they will issue a advisory notice. Like if u try to hide or deceive what your plates show ur in the ****ter.

My spacing is out on my plates but they can be read and I'm not changing what it says so police aren't bothered had it for 3 years now

I guess these dark plates are obviously illegal but I'm so confused why police don't say anything the number of audis with them on is a joke that's why I asked