Mixing Engine Coolant

Wilonso

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This morning my missus was on her way to work and her engine coolant light came on (even though she had the car serviced just 2 months ago) none the less she asked the chap in the petrol station if he could help her pick the right coolant. I havn't seen the bottle that she used yet but she told me that he mixed a green coolant in with the pink coolant that was already in there and he didnt dilute it he just added it straight in.

Is this going to cause any major issues ?

Too late now, but in the short term in this mild weather adding water only would have sufficed.
I'd have the coolant system checked for leaks, then completely drained with correct pink antifreeze added.
Some antifreeze donot suit aluminium heads.

Reactions: Wilonso
Ok so i am going to drain it anwyay just to be on the safe side as i have just seen that it should be fairly simple.

Please kindly correct any of the following:

1) Remove the draining cap from the bottom ride side of the radiator.
2) Let all the fluid drain out
3) Put the cap back on
4) Fill up with water, Let the engine run for 3-5 mins put heating on
5) Let it drain again
6) Get G12 Coolant Mix 50/50 and fill

Is that everything or is there something more i should do or know ?

Cheers

Remove the cap from the header tank as well otherwise you will create a vacuum !

Reactions: martinivw and Wilonso
For what it's worth, I had this done at Halfords the other week - £37.

Mixing colours isn't necessarily going to cause any issues, but I'm pretty sure the bottle of G13 concentrate I have is pink too. Pretty poor that the garage attendant couldn't help pick the right one, would take 2 minutes to read the manual and then find a bottle than meets the requirements. Buying from a petrol station, it might have been pre-diluted or "ready to use" though too.

I'd say check the bottle they added before going to the trouble of draining and replacing the whole system (which, granted, isn't exactly the hardest job in the world, but still a nuisance).

Reactions: Wilonso
Its a pre-diluted ready to add mix from what i can see apart from that it doesnt say a lot else, looks as if he picked up the cheapest bottle they had and gave her that one.

I have just had a look under the car, I cant see anything at present because of the under tray, so i presume i am going to have to remove that first, Once i have done so what is it that i am actually looking for just a small cap on the underside of the radiator ???

Mixing coolant types (red 2 year protection and blue 5 year protection) can interfere with it's corrosion-inhibiting properties so well worth flushing it out and putting new stuff in to be safe. It's an easy job and if you shop around can be as cheap as £10 or so for more than enough to do the job.

I got the new stuff already :) I bought 6 litres of purified water as well. I just need to know what im looking for ? I know its an easy job but do you think i could just pop into a garage and let them do it for the sake of just getting it done ?

If there's an independent garage you know and trust then they probably won't charge you a lot to do it as it won't take very long. I'd expect some garages will charge over the odds for the work though. Could you phone a few and get them to quote for doing it and agree on a price before you go there??

Yep thats exactly what i will do tomorrow! Thanks for all the clarification everyone.