Help & Advise needed. (Private plate & mot issue)

gazzer_s3

Reaction score
Hi, bought my S3 from a independent garage approx. 4 weeks ago. At the time it had private plates on the car but was told I could take car & they would let me know when the log book was sorted so I could swap back to the original plates. Today I phoned the DVLA to check as dealer had told me earlier today that log book had been sent Monday & to wait till I got it back to change plates. Dvla said I shouldn't of been sold car without original plates on & that the plate I had on wasn't registered to the car & hadn't been for several days!! I phoned the dealer to which they told me the Dvla don't know what there talking about (really???). I am obviously not happy but wasn't sure if it was worth reporting them? or who too? As my insurance said I could of been uninsured in event of accident. The other thing is the garage put a years mot on car when it was still on private plate, do I need a new copy of the mot certificate with the original number plate on it or does it not matter as it has chassis number on? Again dealer said it doesn't matter, but no confidence in what they are telling me now!! Any comments or advice welcome. Thanks

Your MoT should have been sent to DVLA with the plate transfer forms and the DVLA would have issues a replacement with the new reg on!

We bought our s3 4 weeks ago with a private plate on and they sent the log book away and our private plate was on our range rover we traded in, it's took up to a couple of days ago to get the log book back which is now in our private plate and also got a new mot certificate and tax disk as they were in the old private plate. Everything ok with selling a car with old private plate on as long as its registered

We bought our s3 4 weeks ago with a private plate on and they sent the log book away and our private plate was on our range rover we traded in, it's took up to a couple of days ago to get the log book back which is now in our private plate and also got a new mot certificate and tax disk as they were in the old private plate. Everything ok with selling a car with old private plate on as long as its registered
But they have had log book back with original plate number on it but didn't even tell me so ive been driving round with private plates on that aren't regd to car! Ive not got tax disk either so im displaying disk with reg that's not on car + mot cert that has private plate on it as they put mot on it whilst the log book was being updated at Dvla. The log book has now been sent off by garage to update me as the new owner, will the dvla send a amended mot cert back with log book? Thanks

They should have sent dealer a new tax disc and MoT with the updated v5.

When you transfer your reg the first documents recieved will be new mot and tax disc in the new plate. The garage should have forwarded you this to display tax disc so that you can change number plates. Off the top of my head i believe you get 7 days grace to display the new plates on recipt of the new tax disc. You also then need to tell your insurance company of the new reg. shortly after dvla will return the log book in the new reg, this will either go to yourself or the garage depending on what section was filled in at the time of transfer/ retention. If it went to the garage they will need to re fill it in with your new keeper details and send it back to dvla and then will be sent to you. Either way the garage should give you the new tax disk and mot for you to display.

They should have sent dealer a new tax disc and MoT with the updated v5.
Log book went back to previous owner who then dropped it into dealer, dealer saying he hasn't got tax disc so is going to ask previous owner if he has sent it to me?? Absolute shambles

So the previous owner sent the V5 to the DVLA? You don't have to send the original tax disc (just complete the details from it on the retention form); I thought you had to hand in the MoT though.

DVLA then send new tax disc and MoT with a letter saying you can get new plates made. You are then supposed to return the original tax disc. This part is usually quite quick, can be done same day in a DVLA office i think. Actual V5 arrives a week or more later.

So the previous owner should have had the new tax disc and MoT and given them all to the dealer along with new V5 when it arrived.

It's your dealers responsibility to sort this out, I'd be worried the original owner got the tax disc back and cashed it in. Not sure is DVLA will give you that info?

If you've got v5 now then you can check MoT status online.

Should have v5 slip in next few days as dealer said he has sent it to me. Got a feeling the mot will need sorting as not sure if it was done whilst log book was being uopdated by dvla? The tax disc runs out in a month, not that that's any concellation if he has cashed it in?

You will need full V5 to check MoT I think. You need the serial number on the front. I think the MoT will be fine, you just may not have the paper certificate (these can be ordered - for a fee!).

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status-vehicle

If tax disc only has a month then wouldn't be worth cashing it in. You can check tax here https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax[/QUOTE ] Thanks, mot showing as on original plates which is good, gather I just need to goto local Vosa & get new copy as my cert has old private p[late on it.

Yeah, any MoT station can print you a copy for £10 or so. Have to question if you really need it anytime between now and when its due?

Tax disc you obviously need though!