Climate control smelling horrible

mike-y90

Reaction score
If I turn my climate control onto LOW or anything a bit cold it f***in stinks! After a few mins the smell does appear to go but its horrible.

If it is on a warm temp or anything from like 18 degrees onwards its fine and there is no smell. It does this every time you turn it onto something cold when driving the car and only last the first few mins of it be on. Any idea?

If I turn my climate control onto LOW or anything a bit cold it f***in stinks! After a few mins the smell does appear to go but its horrible.

If it is on a warm temp or anything from like 18 degrees onwards its fine and there is no smell. It does this every time you turn it onto something cold when driving the car and only last the first few mins of it be on. Any idea?

Have you tried an a/c cleaner you can get them from places like halfords you set them off and put the car into resurculation with the a/c on full blast they fill the car with vapour you may also want to change your pollen filter and worst case your drains blocked but that's unlikely.

yep it the bacteria in your vents causing the smell

as said above get the vapour spray and there is also a auto glym cleaner that you spray in the vents with air con off that also removes the bacteria / smell.

Definitely replace the pollen filter .

ok thanks people, thats very helpful I am having a service soon and it says they check the pollen filter. If it is that do you think they will replace it or just suggest that I need to get it replaced?

Audi probably offer a separate a/c service the pollen filter is under the dash in the passengers footwell when vw offered me it didn't fancy it as my line of work and they wanted £80 ish .

ok,, i had this problem and now i dont!
i tried the air con bombs which did not work!
the way i solved this is as follows,
go on a a pretty longish drive, (50 mile plus is ideal)
turn on the climate control to high for 10 mins until very toasty, and then down to low for 10mins until very cold!
and repeat, and repeat etc!
keep doing this on your journey and the constant high and low temps gradually eradicate the bacteria build up in there!
short trips, and wet/damp weather causes this nasty stink! wet mats etc and not much time to cycle correctly!
try this and good luck. :arco:

People, there are two types of pollen filter available for the A3. One is just a simple paper filter, and that is for cars fitted with heaters only. The other one is an "Activated Carbon Filter" which is designed for cars with full climate control. The carbon filter is specifically for combating smells that may arise in climate controlled cars. Make sure you buy the right one. Activated carbon absorbs smells very well, but also needs to be changed about once per year. That's what I do, and the car smells as sweet as a nut. Good luck.

So you would recommend changing the Activated Carbon Filter and not the paper one under the dash?

Where is this carbon filter located?

So you would recommend changing the Activated Carbon Filter and not the paper one under the dash?

Where is this carbon filter located?

Its under the dash on passenger side genuine ones are carbon filters when I said £80 that was for the dealer to carry out an a/c service not just replace the pollen filter generally if your suction pipe is sweating under the bonnet with a full load your refrigerant charge is correct and your a/c will operate to full capacity just a bit of extra info.

to keep it smelling fresh, you ned to clear the condensation in the system. therefore, turn off a/c for a few minutes before you turn off the engine. as you are approaching your final destination always turn off the a/c and just let air blow through the tubes

Just ordered a new Carbon Pollen filter. Will fit and let you know how it goes.

Thanks !