A3 Hissing Noise

mumble5

Reaction score
I have a 58 reg A3 1.9 TDIe and a hissing noise has started coming from the foot well as I rev or drive along. If I put my foot on the brake it seems to stop. I have read a few articles which say it maybe the brake servo which is bust. Half the articles have a noise which stops when the brake pedal is pressed and some it starts and im not sure which way around is of concern. I have just taken it to a garage and they say the vacuum is all fine and that perhaps as its when I accelerate perhaps there is a noisy bleed valve inside there so when revving the pressure doesn't get to high and cause over aggressive breaking. Can anyhow help this is a bit of a concern as I do many miles and don't want the brakes to fail if there is a fault but also don't want to spend hundreds on something normal. Thanks in advance mike

It's not a charger leak is it ? You could blank off your brake servo vac pipe and try and simulate the fault but don't drive like this as your brake pedal will be solid or if you could smoke test for leaks.

I will check but I don't think its the charger, its only noticeable in the cabin on the driver side. Not to loud either and is there at standstill until the brake pedal is pressed and it all goes quite. - Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Had the car checked and its not the charger :) but not sure what it is :(

Hi mate, its the servo.

I had mine replaced on my 2007 S3 for £715.

It is perfect now. Sorry to break it to you!! Where do you live?

/Down in sunny Poole... That seems expensive for a servo replacement!

Part is £221 inc VAT.

Labour from Audi UK is around 4 hours at £150 ish an hour.

I went independent and got it for £40 plus VAT labour plus 10 hours labour with part at same price.

I fought with warranty company for months for them to authorise it for 4 hours instead of the specified 1.8 hours for a LHD car.

Good luck!!!!!!

My cars out of warranty so no chance there I don't think... how come it took the independent 2.5 times the quoted time?

Audi do not have book times for this procedure....only 1.8 hours for a LHD, and as yours is RHD, it will take ages.....

remove front end, remove engine mounts and move the engine forwards.

Awesome GTI quoted me 10 hours but I got my work done by JVW in Leigh and it took them 10 hours as well as it was the first one they had ever done....

Warranty companies also just go through the book times as mentioned in that link I put up.

I would ask about for labour rates mate as its going to take a while to complete the job. See if you can get the servo for a bit cheaper....I lost confidence in my car for ages but now have it back as the brakes are superb. I have the old servo in the box here but as mine is from an S3, im not 100% if they are the same part numbers to hit Audi with it......

The sound will get worse....have a mess about behind the brake pedal and you will hear it more.

Shame I don't have a warranty at least that would help a bit. :( Did you have any problem with the brakes why you had the noise?

Well basically the servo is loosing air causing less pressure to be applied on the brakes under heavy breaking.

Yes the brakes juddered under very heavy braking, they are fine now though. I researched alot...... heres a link to something similar!

Hissing sound that stops when braking - TDIClub Forums

The older A4's etc had a problem where water used to leak into the servo therefore causing no vacuum therefore causing NO BRAKES!!

Suppose juddering brakes under hard braking is better than none... Glad I don't have an old A4! Ringing about for prices.

Let me know how you get on and if you need any advice etc. As its the brakes.....I would get this sorted asap. No hissing any more from mine! Thought it was the stereo at first haha!!

Still waiting the garages don't seem to want to have the work!

So far to update... Part plus 7hrs labour... £654 as a quote.. waiting on more. :(

Why not take out a warranty? If under 100k? Then claim?

Yeah its only on 64k. What sort of price are they and which would you recommend? Not thought about this before but would it be cheaper to pay for one that covered it?

Yeah its only on 64k. What sort of price are they and which would you recommend? Not thought about this before but would it be cheaper to pay for one that covered it?

Actually- come to think of it, they would only cover you for 1.8 hours unless you really fight for it and get a proper written quote from audi to state you will need covering for 4 hours maximum then you will have to foot the bill yourself after that.....

So.....Warranty will pay £221 for part and 4 hours labour at say £65 an hour is your garage charging?

Warranty will pay £221 + £260 or so labour= £481 leaving you to foot a £200 or so bill..... Thats what I paid anyway but I had to fight for them to pay over 1.8 hours as that is what there systems for book times comes from.

Does not cover worn pipes but covered my failed DV valve and paid within a week. I use Warranty Wise although the quotes the provide should be cheaper if you leave your number and they call you.........