Issues since cambelt change

immo

Stop me
Reaction score
I had my cambelt & waterpump changed last week (not at Audi) and since then there has been a rocking motion coming from underneath the car, you can feel it when sat in the car stationary with the engine running on idle, to the point where the whole car is juddering.There's also much more movement from the engine itself when you lift up the bonnet than what there was before. Obviously my initial instinct was that the timing was off, but the tech has shown me the markers are lined up so he reckons that's not it.The car's already booked in at Ipswich Audi this weekend to have recall injectors fitted...tech says that might be the issue but it's too much of a coincidence that these problems only occured after he'd worked on it don't you think?Anyone know what it might be?

Last edited:
Could any of your engine mounts have been loosened when cambelt was done to get better access maybe and then not tightened up correctly??

I would check your lower rear engine mount especially it might be a good idea to do this before your appointment as you don't want your engine to land on the Tarmac !

Could the timing be out?

I'm guessing its a TDI?

If so they done your cambelt with the standard locking tools which still allows movement on the cam & haven't set your KW/Crank angle/Torsion Value... Mainly because they know sweet FA about it!

Do a search for someone local on the forum with VCDS to measure your settings. Then adjust as required, 3 bolts on the front cam, 3 on the rear. Search the forum for a how to as its quite a common issue & been covered extensively. :)

Did you fix this?

I've just spoke to two different VAG garages about this and they're both pointing me to injectors.

As this has been happening since November (when I got the cambelt changed) I'm either living on borrowed time or it is the timing!

How much is it to get the timing checked and adjusted?

On the 2.0tdi engines when changing the timing belts there are locking pins which should be used to lock the cams.

With the cams locked you then slacken off the cam pulleys and tension the new belt. This is to ensure that there is even tension on the belt all the way round and that any minor differences in length of the new belt don't affect the timing.

Pretty much exactly what a fella a couple posts above said. You need to check the timing values with VCDS.

I had a look for an how to before on this.

I have VCDS - can you point me in any right directions?

Did you fix this?

I've just spoke to two different VAG garages about this and they're both pointing me to injectors.

As this has been happening since November (when I got the cambelt changed) I'm either living on borrowed time or it is the timing!

How much is it to get the timing checked and adjusted?

Well, it went in to Audi and had the injectors changed and yes when it came back out, the problem was sorted. However I can't say for sure if it was the injectors which made the difference for all I know they tightened something up like engine mounts while it was in and could have been that...

Well, it went in to Audi and had the injectors changed and yes when it came back out, the problem was sorted. However I can't say for sure if it was the injectors which made the difference for all I know they tightened something up like engine mounts while it was in and could have been that...

How much did that cost? Eeep...

Mounting bolts should not be re-used. Perhaps Audi tech torqued to right setting without knowing if bolts were changed.

Have a read of my post that I have just put up: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/192817-broken-engine-mount-bolts.html

Seems like Audi have no idea what a torque wrench is these days.....