Is it okay to move it a few meters when engine is cold?

G

_G_

My sister will be staying with us for a bit and as it's permit parking only. I figured I will park on the street and she can use the drive. She will be taking my nephew on trips like London Zoo etc. you can imagine that when she returns I will need to have moved... blah blah blah.

I've messed up a Nissan engine before doing this but I think they are suseptible to flooding... so my question is... cold engine... first thing in the morning when she arrives tomorrow... is it okay to just start it.. move it.. give it a few seconds and turn it off?

Bit paranoid about my 2.0 TFSI.. wouldn't want to cause any damage.

Thanks

I do this with the S3 all the time to let the missus out in the morning; doesn't worry me!

Reactions: _G_
its not gona hurt the car

Reactions: _G_
Should be safe as long as you don't rev the engine too high :p

It's not ideal long term but for a few days it won't be too bad.

Blip the throttle then immediately switch the engine off - the engine runs on as the revs come down naturally and should clear the engine if that is your concern.

It's not ideal long term but for a few days it won't be too bad.

Blip the throttle then immediately switch the engine off - the engine runs on as the revs come down naturally and should clear the engine if that is your concern.

I would've thought this could lead to turbo damage. I always let my engine sit at idle for a few secs (longer if I've been out on a blast) before turning off the ignition.

Clipping the throttle before killing ignition is for carburetor engines and defo not a good idea in turbo cars plus not needed in fuel injector cars

Clipping the throttle before killing ignition is for carburetor engines and defo not a good idea in turbo cars plus not needed in fuel injector cars

U got there before me!

Yup blipping the throttle before killing the engine is defo not good in newer cars. I hear diff reasons for it, mainly that people want to clear the injectors of fuel, but then near empty injectors will make the fuel pump have to work more when u start the car back up again

I didn't mean red line it lol, just a small blip up to 2000rpm or so and kill the ignition at this point, this will not harm the turbo at all as it wouldn't be spinning much and would be no load on it. It used to work for my 205GTi which was prone to flooding if it was switched off whilst cold.

The fuel pump working harder on next start is a bit far fetched IMO. Even with dry fuel lines the pump will prime and pressurise within seconds as they flow over 100litres/hour.

The day cars can't handle being started, moved, and turned off I'm handing back my driving licence and buying a bike.

Reactions: wanton and poli84
been doing this every morning for almost a year, car still works :$

Last edited:
Hmmm... I'm worried now....

Is it ok if I turn my steering wheel before my car has warmed up? If not I'm going to have to start driving straight through the brick wall that I usually drive around when pulling out of my garage.

Reactions: JudderMan, leeds2592, Brodster and 1 other person

Is it ok if I turn my steering wheel before my car has warmed up? If not I'm going to have to start driving straight through the brick wall that I usually drive around when pulling out of my garage.

No comment. Don't like to engage in exchanges of sarcasm.

Reactions: Brodster

No, but mainly because you own a shizzy VW. Had you still got an Audi you'd have been fine to have done this. Instead, you must wait.

No comment. Don't like to engage in exchanges of sarcasm.

Do i sense sarcasm here? I think I do...

You're out?? With such a gay reaction I think you are.

This is not the time, or the place to discuss such things Ads. We're discussing whether we can drive our cars with cold engines or not! Personally I use an electric heater under my car to heat my engine before I turn the engine over. I find it heats the oil nicely.

In fact after that comment forget this forum. I'm out.

15732930-beautiful-black-leather-handbag-made-from-crocodile-leather-isolates-on-white.jpg

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Reactions: sliced, crazy88 and Ads
66987-vader-rods-2307890-anchorman-well-escalated-quickly_super-jpg

Reactions: sliced, chris.vincent3, JudderMan and 4 others
Ooooh you're so strong. I can just about lift my bonnet.

You know what, you're being silly. You clearly know i'm on about turning it over with the key.

In fact, after that comment forget this forum. I'm out.

On a side note, if you still had a proper make of car you wouldn't need to use any strength as we have hydraulic bonnet lifts. Just sayin.

Right, now i'm out.

Reactions: CHEZ

You know what, you're being silly. You clearly know i'm on about turning it over with the key.

In fact, after that comment forget this forum. I'm out.

You're out?? With such a gay reaction I think you are.

On a side note, if you still had a proper make of car you wouldn't need to use any strength as we have hydraulic bonnet lifts. Just sayin.

After that comment forget this forum. I'm out.

Hello I'm here was secretly watching like a :ninja: but now ........ I'm out! :undwech:

Reactions: Ads
I'm sure chez is still here. He'll be along to smash any other hopes of dignity that ___G___ has.

Ah well if there is one bit of knowledge that has come out of this thread it's finding out what G stands for.

Ah well if there is one bit of knowledge that has come out of this thread it's finding out what G stands for

what would that be then adam?

I've been looking at this forum for a few days... getting a bit of advice... really couldn't be bothered to register.

Then I saw this... definately in. haha.

Reactions: Zak0123 and NickB
I've been looking at this forum for a few days... getting a bit of advice... really couldn't be bothered to register.

Then I saw this... definately in. haha.

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Im sure you will enjoy the forum. What car do you have? Where are you located. :) x

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Im sure you will enjoy the forum. What car do you have? Where are you located. :) x

Was already enjoying it to be honest... some really useful stuff on here.

I have a 2004 A3 2.0 FSI Sport - tidy car, was really happy with it until I started reading about 'bumper mods' and 'light retrofits' :) Since then I've been ebaying daily to look at more and more parts.

Located in Bedford!

Thanks for the welcome :)

Reactions: Sandra