Advice on buying an A3 3.2 V6

Lenny213

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be buying an A3 3.2 and would like tips on anything I should be looking out for. I've seen a couple of models which have about 50k miles on the clock (years 2005/2006).

Any advice you can provide so I know what to look out for before putting my cash down is greatly appreciated. (Apologies if this has been asked before but could not find anything on the forum :unsure:).

Thanks for all your help,

Hi Lenny, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have you had a look in the faqs threads in this section? Where are you located? Enjoy the forum. :) x

Thanks Sandra. I have looked but cannot see anything (probably me just being blind)... I'm an Oxfordshire lad :)

It would be worth giving some beer tokens to someone that has access to VCDS local to you and getting them to run a scan on a car you're considering buying.

VCDS. Just Google it :). Sounds indeed like a good idea. Will do that

​If you go down the forum page to the vcds section, we have a map with vcds cable holders, just click the blue balloons in your area, the members details pop up at the top. Just send them a pm and tell them what you looking for Lenny. :) x

Give it a good test drive, listen for whining from the running gear as i had a bad transfer box and it's an know issue. also how it pull's in first, mine is a real pain sometimes get the clutch wrong and it bucks like a b****. I've heard a ECU update helps with this but the stealer i went to seem to think i have it and it's still bad. is it DSG or manual?
If you want good economy don't buy it lol. i get high 20's on the motorway maybe just breaking 30's, and if you boot it expect to be getting 10.
All that said i won't be selling mine for some time i love it the sound is beautiful and she is a pleasure to drive.

Going with DSG all the way. Wow, you only getting high 20's MPG on motorway - thought I'd get a little more than that :sign_omg:... Good thing I don't do a lot of miles.

Fair enough i've heard it's a good box but never driven one myself.

yeah you could tease more out of it sat at 70 just doesn't seem to be comfortable there. Round town is quite poor but that could be different with DSG.

Enjoy it!

I'm an 05 with 56k, I'm only down the road near Heathrow, come and have a look.

Kai 07729229928

Hi I have a 05 3.2 with 68k my advice is simple for full service history with proof of haldex and dsg service, at idle these are so quiet there should be so clunking or other noise from engine or box., MPG not great i average 21mpg on a run 28 mpg.
On test drive when you select drive it should pull clean no jerking in fact I don't even feel it change gear that smooth I love this car being a sportback extra 2 doors and even more room for my carp fishing gear with rear seats down and 250 bhp to play in sport mode with or without using the paddles to change gear, and with the added benifits of it being a Quattro for when you need the extra grip ( great fun with ESP off in right conditions)

Enjoy Dave

Cheers Dave. I cannot wait to pick up the new wheels. Done all the calculations to make sure I can afford running one of these and had a friend go look at the car. First impressions are that it's mint - will test drive on Saturday and hopefully all is good and will be able to drive away a happy man. Can't wait! feeling like a kid in a candy store :)

i think some of the dsg ones had problems, and needed a reflash by the dealers.

I had mine scanned with VCDS, there were a couple of radio errors, corrected by recoding, and a handful of old MAF sensor errors, which wer ecleared and not come back. I've also had the coil packs changed under recall and the software update applied.

Must say, it is a bit smoother now with the software update; the hesitation around 2k has gone and it's less jerky on gearchange (6speed manual). I can also now quite easily get close to mid 30's mpg on a run and it's not as bad round town as you'd give credit for - being a v6 and quite torquey it doesn't mind tootling around as low as 1000rpm. Drive sensibly as you can get decent mpg, I managed 400 out of a full tank the other day which was rather pleasant :)

As I mentioned on another thread, the v6 engine is so versatile as it can tootle at low rpm yet pull like a train up to redline and give a nice smooth whoomf up to licence loosing speed without seeming to try.

Made a small comparisant on costs here

Should give you an idea on the costs.

Just wanted to thank you all for the feedback and advice. Picked up my A3 (DSG) this morning and it runs great :) Got a great price also - £6,250, 57k miles, December 2005 (registered before the road tax increase :)), 6 months tax, 3 door, full Audi service history (checked & last one 3k miles ago) & 1 owner.

So, I'm as happy as Larry now and and about to go out and 'lay out the vibe'... lol.

Yep same as me 2005 v6 so at least I get couple hundred extra towards my fuel . Lol

Ahh, just a bit too late on this one!

I have a manual 2004 3.2 Quattro in central Oxford. My mpg is not so bad on motorway. I averaged 32mpg from Edinburgh to Oxford. Stuck the cruise control on at 80 and got home in five and a half hours. Having said that, round Oxford city centre it's a different story.

Mine has been well looked after by the previous owners but has had the Haldex system replaced and I'm having a wheel bearing sorted at the moment. Having said that its a great car, makes a great noise too :p

Hope you enjoy it Lenny!

So, I've had the A3 V6 for a few days now - how am I finding it...

In a nutshell, it's the best car I have owend! I've owned 8 cars in my life (always hatches as I like them) from a few GTI's (Golf & Pugs) through to standard injection cars - always about 2 litre engins (a mix of new and used)... They have mostly all been a lot of fun to drive. Now that I'm in my (ealry :sm4:) mid 30's I was looking for something with more power & comfort.

So, what do I like on this car:
- The POWER... It goes like stink and always has tork when you put your foot down. Feels and sounds really good!
- S line. I just like the finish - sporty but understated.
- Nice interior. Feels good to sit in.
- DSG spec & Paddles. I've always had manuals but this is really good. Feels fast and smooth - I'm sold! Also nice to be able to switch to auto in town & traffic. Think Auto S mode is also a nice touch.
- Smooth drive when cruizing.
- Quattro. Enjoying that grip :)

The not so good:
- Crappy roads. when driving in town you'll feel the bumps if roads are poor but not too bad.
- Poor MPG... What do you expect though. That said just driving normally in town you'll get 20-25 MPG, 27-33 on Motorway and an average journey that has both will average at about 26 MPG. If you take it to a track you'll get much less of course :) (I look forward to finding out).

So, if anyone is considering buying one of these I'd say its a fantastic choice and take a look at some of the responses above - some good things to think about when buying one.

:thumbsup:

Good stuff Lenny, glad you're enjoying it. You may find the mpg will improve after the first month or so - after the initial buzz of the newness wares off you might not boot it so much ;) Also might need a bit to get used to the fact you can use lower revs when bimbling around town.

Chillout > I did indeed mate. All the coil packs were changed under the recall and the software update went in with no issues. It feels that bit smoother and the 2k hesitation is gone. Also a little slicker on gearchange, even though it's manual. I found it was slightly sensitive to engine speed v road speed when changing down, could be a touch jerky, but it's not quite as sensitive now. Not sure if that's part of the update or something I've done differently, or maybe just the warmer weather making it all a bit slicker. Either way, I'm pleased :)