Fault Code Reader

salam0506

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Bit of a newbie here to the Audi - I have a 2006 2.0TDI A3 and when buying it from my mate the engine management light has been on for quite a while. He said he got it checked and its the MAF sensor and describe it as a butterfly valve which needs changing. I was thinking in investing in a fault code reader off ebay for cheap and checking myself:

Audi A2 A3 A4 A6 A8 Fault Code Reader Scanner diagnostic scan tool | eBay

That seems a bit too cheap to be any good - has anyone got one? Does it work ok?

Also if it is the MAF sensor I have had a look and it seems quite easy to change as its just located at the top of the engine with the air box? She described it being expensive due to labour costs as it is hard to get to - maybe she was thinking of something else? Currently the car drives fine but the engine does vibrate a bit more than expected during idle.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

cheers
seenan

Hi Guys,

Bit of a newbie here to the Audi - I have a 2006 2.0TDI A3 and when buying it from my mate the engine management light has been on for quite a while. He said he got it checked and its the MAF sensor and describe it as a butterfly valve which needs changing. I was thinking in investing in a fault code reader off ebay for cheap and checking myself:

Audi A2 A3 A4 A6 A8 Fault Code Reader Scanner diagnostic scan tool | eBay

That seems a bit too cheap to be any good - has anyone got one? Does it work ok?

Also if it is the MAF sensor I have had a look and it seems quite easy to change as its just located at the top of the engine with the air box? She described it being expensive due to labour costs as it is hard to get to - maybe she was thinking of something else? Currently the car drives fine but the engine does vibrate a bit more than expected during idle.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

cheers
seenan
The maf sensor is between your air box and engine it measures air entering the engine so the cars computer can calculate injection the preferred diagnostic tool is vcds/vag.com watch out for fakes though it covers audi,skoda,vw and seat and costs around £280 it is very usefull it's the next best thing to a dealer tool however you could just ask a local forum member to do a full scan of your car

MAF is very easy to replace. Costs around £80 from eurocarparts or audi.

Thanks guys, so do you think the £10 fault code reader from ebay is deff not worth getting? Do you think I should just put a message up in the general group asking if anyone nearby could do a fault code check on my a3?
If it is the MAF sensor that needs replacing - will that improve performance at all? or is it more so fuel economy?

I bought one of these - only reads the engine ECU and even then not all the modules. Also I've never seen a failed MAF show up with a specific fault code. Try cleaning your MAF sensor using Isopropyl Alcohol (from Maplins) first.

HTH

Sounds more like the EGR rather than the MAF.

The MAF is 2 clips to remove, has no butterfly flap and is located on pipe work at the top of the engine. Also with a dodgy MAF you get no power above a certain point, it also won't flash a light on the dash.

The EGR & shut down valve have a butterfly flap & are bolted to the EGR feed pipe, turbo pipe & intake manifold at the front of the car. This can be a pig to remove (often easier to remove the whole manifold) & work on. If this is faulty it will flash a light on the dash.

Have any of you guys had much experience with the "eliminate EGR" kits? Do they improve performance but sacrifice fuel economy? Will it make a difference to emmisions values for MOT? Hard to install?

Also anyone of you guys near tunbridge wells or in kent at all?