S3 parking sensors

DCS

Reaction score
Hi all,

In my last post I mentioned that I was thinking of getting parking sensors retrofitted to my 2010 S3, but it's all gone pear-shaped! I drove some 200 miles to test drive the car, and when I got to the dealers it didn't have any parking sensors, which was disappointing as the spec said that it did. I pointed this out to the salesman and told him I wanted him to take the price of fitting the sensors off the purchase price. He took £250 off, claiming this was what they would be (parts and labour).

I've just got off the phone to another dealer, my local one, and they said it would be £550 all in! I initially thought they were quoting for both front and rear parking sensors but the dealer said Audi didn't fit front parking sensors to the S3. Is this right? I was sure they did.

Anyway, £550 sounds ridiculous to me, but is this just stealers being stealers or this is about right for rear sensors only? I'm certain people on here do it; could anyone PM me an idea of the price? I'm near Gloucester.

Cheers!

£550 sounds a hell of a lot.. but sounds about right for the OEM sensors, fitted by a dealership.

You definitely want to make sure they're talking about the OEM sensors though as Audi actually fit retrofit Cobra sensors too, which look like this:

IMG_2569-1_zps3398540e.jpg

Obviously totally different to OEM!

You can get flush parking sensors for around £199 fitted. Aftermarket but look completely OEM and for more than half the price Audi quoted you.

They look like this:

IMG_3436_zpsbdc887aa.jpg

Reactions: DCS
Hey Dude.

The price they are quoting is for their retrofit kit. Not the normal looking ones. Wicked666 on here had some problems with his Audi dealer about this. They are large and look horrible!!

Apart from going down the genuine parts route which again is quite costly you can go for Cobra Sensors... They look and work like the real deal and quite a few members on here have had them fitted to their vehicles...

Here are two examples of some sensors we did the other week:

IMG_0461w_zps4af34284.jpg

--

IMG_7208w_zps9b45d1d3.jpg

--

As you can see these use a special tool to cut the hole which pulls the paint through to give you that nice bevelled edge...

Check them out on our site if you're keen!!

Last edited:
Reactions: DCS
Haha, its all good Tim.

Good to see we both agree on the Cobra Flush sensors. No question about it if choosing an aftermarket option. Love the cutting tool as well <3

That looks like a great option. Imho, looks like factory fit.

OEM sensors can't be retrofitted into an ordinary bumper. Because, when I had an A3 Sportback I bought 2 OEM S3 bumpers front and back, and the back bumper came with factory pre drilled holes for parking aid sensors. The reason why someone can't retrofit genuine OEM sensors are the sensor holders, they come prefitted into a bumper. And they can't be bought afterwards. YOu can buy everything OEM, the sensors, the module, the cables, everything.. except the sensor holders. You have to buy a complete bumper that is designed for parking aid assistance. My mechanic searched in ETKA, and said that the sensor holder isn't stated as a part, it doesn't have a part number, and therefore can't be bought afterwards. Maybe the sensor holders from some other aftermarket system would hold the OEM sensors, but it just doesn't pays off, buying a complete aftermarket system just for using the holders. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OEM sensors can't be retrofitted into an ordinary bumper. Because, when I had an A3 Sportback I bought 2 OEM S3 bumpers front and back, and the back bumper came with factory pre drilled holes for parking aid sensors. The reason why someone can't retrofit genuine OEM sensors are the sensor holders, they come prefitted into a bumper. And they can't be bought afterwards. YOu can buy everything OEM, the sensors, the module, the cables, everything.. except the sensor holders. You have to buy a complete bumper that is designed for parking aid assistance. My mechanic searched in ETKA, and said that the sensor holder isn't stated as a part, it doesn't have a part number, and therefore can't be bought afterwards. Maybe the sensor holders from some other aftermarket system would hold the OEM sensors, but it just doesn't pays off, buying a complete aftermarket system just for using the holders. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't manage to take a picture of the bumper that i bought with factory fitted sensors but i remember seeing the sensors clipped into a holder that was stuck on the inside of the bumper.I believe they are these holders ones that "KPEX" is selling on ebay.

4 x PDC Halter Halterung für AUDI VW SEAT SKODA Sensor VA VI A3 Neu | eBay

You can see the clips on the sensors where they fit into these holders/brackets:

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/automaras/0002/DSCF8615.jpg

Reactions: s3facelift09
I didn't manage to take a picture of the bumper that i bought with factory fitted sensors but i remember seeing the sensors clipped into a holder that was stuck on the inside of the bumper.I believe they are these holders ones that "KPEX" is selling on ebay.

4 x PDC Halter Halterung für AUDI VW SEAT SKODA Sensor VA VI A3 Neu | eBay

You can see the clips on the sensors where they fit into these holders/brackets:

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/automaras/0002/DSCF8615.jpg

A little update on the subject, when you enter these part numbers of the PDC holders from the ebay ad in ETKA, ETKA says part number does not exist..
I've seen it with my own eyes at the Audi dealers official ETKA, when they open up the back bumper with all the parts of it, when they click on the holders, they get a message, something like this, no part number, use number 12, and number 12 is back bumper with I presume pre installed pdc holders..

Last edited:
Is the cutting tool included with the cobra flush fit sensors?

No I'm afraid the cutter is not included with the kit. Being truthful, it's seen as a professional fit system and as such they aren't included.

I couldn't find the hole cutter on your site, do you sell these?

They're not online but can be purchased if you feel confident enough to fit the parking system.

Okay, what's the part number of the holders, and where can it be bought?

I didn't say I have used/not used brackets, I merely advised the oem systems can be fitted, however, someone already provided a link to purchase these from.

Again though, I have fitted oem system with/without brackets, so again as I advised, oem systems can be fitted to non pdc bumpers with or without adding brackets.

Infact here's an OPS system I did today (using brackets I supplied on non pdc bumpers already fitted)

20130428_170348.jpg

20130428_170355.jpg

20130428_170324.jpg

20130428_170318.jpg

20130428_170313.jpg

I find the best cutters to use are conecutters, also known as step cutters, they can cut various sensor hole sizes, provide a bevelled edge, brilliant drill bits to have in a tool box, used for years in Telecoms & IT fitting cable systems in trunking, metal or plastic & now Automotive Systems for pdc & other fits.

Yes I did, but you did say no rush as wanted to do in the new year & I have other PM's before you to answer too.

My A3 didn't come with sensors but I wanted them and asked audi to do it, turns out my dad knew the guy that normally does it for a long long time! Got it for £100 for OEM rear sensors!

Reactions: JD007F and Phil-1
It was from the Liverpool Audi but I'm not sure of the guys company who fitted it. But I think we were originally quoted a much higher price which we were still happy with but when we started typing the persons number into the phone it came up with the guys name

Is that the OEM aftermarket sensors that stick out a bit or the proper OEM flush sensors?
Not a fan of the first ones and would rather do without :)

That's the aftermarket oem sensors he had fitted I suspect, not factory pdc, audi doesnt retrofit the factory ones, however I do :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RobbieWebs, Cruiser89 and Phil-1
Reactions: NHN
Hmm I thought they were OEM but I think probably have the cobra kit whoops haha. Either way it doesn't really bother me and I'm extremely satisfied with them, they work just fine and are colour coded with the car, I'll get a pic now :)

7ixUYkg.jpg

a1ymKTW.jpg

NWmXiK2.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with them m8, very OEM looking ;)
I'd be happy with them for 100 squid ;)
The tailpipes stick out a fair bit on the 8v I see :)

Reactions: Buneet
I'm wondering if you can mate the cobra flush sensors to the Audi PDC unit to give the optical display on the RNSE? Has anyone attempted this?

No as cobra doesn't connect to the cars network & therefore cant send data, also pdc uses a separate control module which cobra would not.

I didn't say I have used/not used brackets, I merely advised the oem systems can be fitted, however, someone already provided a link to purchase these from.

Again though, I have fitted oem system with/without brackets, so again as I advised, oem systems can be fitted to non pdc bumpers with or without adding brackets.

Infact here's an OPS system I did today (using brackets I supplied on non pdc bumpers already fitted)

20130428_170348.jpg

20130428_170355.jpg

20130428_170324.jpg

20130428_170318.jpg

20130428_170313.jpg

I find the best cutters to use are conecutters, also known as step cutters, they can cut various sensor hole sizes, provide a bevelled edge, brilliant drill bits to have in a tool box, used for years in Telecoms & IT fitting cable systems in trunking, metal or plastic & now Automotive Systems for pdc & other fits.

Theses look awesome!! is it worth getting just the rear ones done as I have no parking sensors or would you guys say go for front and rear as I have an rnse in the car and its on a 2011 a3

Cheers