DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER!!

miw615

Reaction score
I have a 2010 A3 2.0TDI S-Line sportback - a simple question, does my car have this particulate filter, how can I tell. Bit concerned as just read in What Car that if you don't drive that far from home you should "self-clean" the filter by driving faster than 40mph for 15-20 minutes :gaehn:

I understand the theory, but what a design fault, do BMW, Merc have these filters fitted, what's the cost of replacement?

Cheers

Yes I'm sure u have dpf. From my understanding it stops the soot from coming out the back like diesels used to.Short runs mean that it doesn't get a chance to clear it out. No biggy tho if the light comes on the dash u take the car out for a blast:)
Dont ignore the light when it comes on tho as u can damage it which it would need replaced at a cost. Feel free to correct me :)

DPF Technology < Owners area < Audi UK

Cheers Robbie - any idea of cost? I read somewhere that the car's engine can be re-mapped to delete DPF with the bonus of gaining more HP, but would this effect an MOT?

So do all diesels have this - is this the diesel equivilant of a catalic converter on a petrol car? My Merc has done 96,000 on it's orginal exhaust / cat and no problems!

The DPF is the worst invention ever to be introduced into diesels. Ignore the lights and it can be very costly indeed when things start to fail. Best thing to do is get the DPF deleted and the ECU mapped so that you dont get any EML. There are afew companies that now do DPF deletes including myself. It is quite expensive but alot cheaper compared to replacing the DPF filter and associated components.

The DPF is the worst invention ever to be introduced into diesels. Ignore the lights and it can be very costly indeed when things start to fail. Best thing to do is get the DPF deleted and the ECU mapped so that you dont get any EML. There are afew companies that now do DPF deletes including myself. It is quite expensive but alot cheaper compared to replacing the DPF filter and associated components.

Does this effect the MOT - how does it impact on the engine etc?

Having the DPF removed will not mean the car will fail an MOT. It can only fail the smoke test IF its that bad. It makes the engine run alot better especially if you get the EGR delete done aswell. The engine basically breathes alot easier as there is no restriction because the DPF has been removed. I recommend having both DPF AND EGR delete done.

I wouldn't worry about removing it until it starts to give you problems. Your car is a 2010 so it'll be a good while yet I would imagine.

VCDS can activate a forced regen If you ever get the light on and dont want to drive over 40mph for 15 mins :D

I always thought the light came on to goad u to give it a welly out the road lol.
My mrs only does short runs when I'm away to work and she has never had the light on :)

My light DPF came on for the first time last week. 57 plate 2.0 170 122K. Quick blast up the dual carriageway cleared it. I try to do a motorway run once a week.

I have a 2010 A3 2.0TDI S-Line sportback - a simple question, does my car have this particulate filter, how can I tell. Bit concerned as just read in What Car that if you don't drive that far from home you should "self-clean" the filter by driving faster than 40mph for 15-20 minutes :gaehn:

I understand the theory, but what a design fault, do BMW, Merc have these filters fitted, what's the cost of replacement?

Cheers

If you don't drive far from home and don't regularly do over 40mph for decent times you shouldn't have bought a diesel. It's not a design fault you've simply bought the wrong car for the job.

Having the DPF removed will not mean the car will fail an MOT. It can only fail the smoke test IF its that bad. It makes the engine run alot better especially if you get the EGR delete done aswell. The engine basically breathes alot easier as there is no restriction because the DPF has been removed. I recommend having both DPF AND EGR delete done.

It will not fail an MOT - yet!! Almost certainly a test of the functioning of the DPF will be included at some time in the not to distant future - by EU directive. When it does any car that was Type Approved with a DPF will require one to pass the MOT.

Good business for those companies who do the removal - putting them back again!

It will not fail an MOT - yet!! Almost certainly a test of the functioning of the DPF will be included at some time in the not to distant future - by EU directive. When it does any car that was Type Approved with a DPF will require one to pass the MOT. Good business for those companies who do the removal - putting them back again!
And where did you hear that from then???? as when VOSA were asked about DPF's by Auto Express.......they themselves stated that they didnt foresee any problems with owners removing the DPF............It wouldn't result in an MOT failure, but would still be subjected to the MOT smoke test only. There have been many rumours.....(and thats all they are) about certain tests being introduced and nothing has been set in concrete yet.......and wont be for the foreseeable future. Im not saying that nothing is going to happen but when MOT regs are changed the people in the know get a massive heads up on it so it can be discussed and for instructions and tooling etc etc to be made ready and distributed. My contacts haven't heard anything yet and I ask alot of questions about DPF's.......so that I can put my customers minds at ease.