Difference Between FSI and TFSI

K.A

Reaction score
If you want to know the difference between these two types of engines then read this link: FSI vs TFSI

The basic differences is on the cam follower, HPFP and other internal problems that an Fsi has which has been improved on the TFSI engines.

And the lack of a turbo might be a major point lol?

Reactions: ninjakid, wuta3, sliced and 2 others
FSI - Fuel Stratified Injection
TFSI - Turbo Fuel Stratified Injection.

Lol i wanted to come out with the smart comment !

Reactions: Sayam and nothingness
Add any differences guys i know i missed bits out but my main concern is the changing cam followers and HPFP which is a problem in the fsi

Our S4 is a TFSI (3.0T) - not a turbo in sight!

Our S4 is a TFSI (3.0T) - not a turbo in sight!

Correct you are however the 3.0 tfsi fitted to the s4 is actually supercharged..... Thought you may have noticed this by the power deliver????

The TFSI engine as quiet correctly was pointed out by AidenUk stands for Turbo Fuel Stratified Injection however this is not a literal interpretation of the system as it actually denotes that the engine has forced aspiration!

Brought to you by the power of wikipedia :)

Reactions: wuta3
Am fully aware it is supercharged, still not a Turbo!!! Hence TFSI does not mean the engine will have a turbo!

TFSI costs more because its in an Audi!?!

The Golf R and de Scirocco R, said TSI but they arent... it is simple to see, the filter in the TSI is at the top. The 2.0TSI with K04 doesn't exist its is TFSI.

The engines are 100% diferents, the TSI have timming chain and the TFSI have standar Timming belt, the cilinder heads and the blocks are diferentes.

The 3.0T (Supercharger) it not turbo, its TFSI (in have two HPFP).

The Golf R and de Scirocco R, said TSI but they arent... it is simple to see, the filter in the TSI is at the top. The 2.0TSI with K04 doesn't exist its is TFSI.

I think it does exist. VW call it a TSI and it's got a K04 turbo, so to me that says it exists.

Isn't TSI and TFSI just what VW/Audi decided to name them.... similar to s-tronic (Audi) and DSG (VW).... or quattro (in an A3) and 4motion (VW)

The cars the have 2.0T with K04 are Golr/Scirocco R, Leon Cupra and S3, all are TFSI.

The Engine its not TSI... Seach it, The engines are diferents.

Golf R "tsi" Engine... but is not.

Volkswagen golf r prueba p2 5

Audi S3 Engine (the same than the Golf R)

Image50263 bthumbnail

And this is a TSI engine

http://www.goapr.com/includes/img/icons/20tsi-gen1.png

Only the NEW S3 Have 2.0TSI Engine but i dont now it is the same engine with K04...

It is the same with de BMW *35i Engine... first are N54 (Twin Turbo) then the engine are N55 (Only one turbo) and in the Engine cover say "Twin Power Turbo) LOL

I haven't read all of this but TFSI keeps the full acronym, without any stratified charge.

The turbo engine are built for torque/power. It loses the good stuff, but still very good engines. Any 'SSP' will explain the main differences between these. The block is treated differently. Pistons are completely different. There were lots of strengthening changes to cope with forced induction. :)

Can we not just call them 'fast' engines ?

Nope!

Because 'FSI' is gay. Boring MED9.5.10 aren't fun. I've not driven the 2.0 FSI yet, but I doubt I'll be impressed x

TSI is an evolution of TFSI

TFSI is engine EA113, TSI is engine EA888.

"This latest EA888 family of internal combustion engines is anticipated to be an eventual complete replacement of the EA113 range. It was wholly designed and developed by AUDI AG. The only common feature with its predecessors is the sharing of the same 88 millimetres (3.46 in) cylinder spacing - which keeps the engine length relatively short, meaning it can be installed either transversely or longitudinally. Grey cast iron (GJL 250) remains the choice material for the cylinder block and crankcase, due to its inherent good acoustic dampening properties. This all-new EA888 range is notable for utilising simplex roller chains to drive the two overhead camshafts, instead of the former engines' toothed-rubber timing belt. Like the final developments of the former EA113 engine generation, all EA888s only use the Audi-created Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI) direct injection. Furthermore, EA888 engines are also able utilise the Audi-developed 'valvelift' technology, which complements the existing variable valve timing. This new family of engines is scheduled to be universally available for all markets on five continents, within all marques of the Volkswagen Group. The former EA113 range still remains in production." -Wikipedia

EA113 has its dip stick in the middle in front of the cylinder block, EA888 dip stick is on the left hand side on the driver side of the engine bay. EA888 runs happily on 95 octane, will run on 91 octane. EA888 tends to start producing maximum torque anywhere from 100 rpm lower and max power 500 rpm lower. Slightly lower revs required to produce torque and power make it easier to get better fuel consumption.

EA888 more complex Engine Management unit makes it harder to put on a different mapping but result can be better because of more interpolated mapping points and better fuel system mentioned above.

Also EA888 (TSI engine) comes standard with a stronger block and Audi's equivalent of the HPF pump upgrade for 2.0t FSI engines.

Reactions: S3Alex
Thanks "TheSmileyOne" U are spot on.

Reactions: nothingness
Hi guys I just recently got Audi a3 2.0l fsi 53 plate . Does this have a panel filter or does it just use the cone???

FSI - Fuel Stratified Injection
TFSI - Turbo Fuel Stratified Injection.
I have the NA 2.0L FSI in a 2008 golf if I was to pull the turbo assembly from a GTI (same year) would this work and what else would have to be changed?
Cheers