Clutch noise/ brake pad warning light

cammy104

Reaction score
had my 57 plate 1.9tdi now just over a year in the past 6 months or so iv heard a vibrating/knocking noise coming from the cluth when its in nutral but once your put the clutvh down it would go. my dad thinks its the clutch bearing but it had no affect on the car driving it was just annoying really when idle. recently its started getting louder and it happens when the clutch is in nutral and when its pushed down. you can play about with the clutch pedel and it will go but soon enough the noise is back. want to know what my options are really at dealing with this problem

also the brake pad light came on a few weeks ago had a look at the pads and the back ones were low so go them replaced thinking that was the problem but i noticed the rear didnt have a senor on to tell the car they where low so i pressume it must be the front with a faulty sensor because the fronts are like new. anyone else had this problem with a faulty sensor?

any help would be much appreciated

I'd say your rattle sounds like a possible DMF. Or indeed possibly a clutch release bearing. I have no idea regarding your brakes tho as I haven't got round to mine yet

Edit: does the noise go when AC is on/off?

I agree it sounds like your flywheel or clutch release as for your pad warning light you should have continuity through the sensor if not and the pads have more than 25% thickness left you could probably just crimp the wires together on the sensor side that's if it's a 2 wire sensor.

So what options have I got on fixing the clutch problem then?

By the time you get the gearbox out to do the clutch bearing it is probably worth just doing the flywheel and clutch if your are going to spend that sort of cash that is if you plan to keep the car .

So what options have I got on fixing the clutch problem then?
options vary depending on history of when things were last changed .I just had the clutch,bearing, dual mass flywheel and slave cylinder changed for nearly £700 inc labour (AUDI DEALERS CHARGE ABOUT£1400 FOR THE SAME)