loud bang and no power

mickb

Reaction score
recently had clutch fly wheel slave cylinder and cambelt changed.
Today there was a loud bang and lots of smoke from exhaust as i changed from 1st to 2nd gear now it sounds like a tank and has no power.
any suggestions

Sounds like the turbos gone, could be wrong. Although the fact u had ur cambelt changed could suggest that it may have been done wrong, full throttle from first to second with dodgy timing may have caused something to go wrong in a big way.
The "tank" sound is how the car sounds with no boost pressure, i've experienced this plenty of times when my car had EGR probs, it had minimal power, enough to drive it somewhere but couldn't do no more than about 40-50.
Plooms of white smoke from the exhaust is normally what u'll find when the turbo finally gives in.

Its best to get it checked out, My turbo just blew and i have an automatic so could not stall the car. Its scary!! Mine put out a literally cloud of grey/white smoke for miles high until engine finally turned off.

black smoke not white
sunday driving style not giving it any beans

Check your boost pipes as one could of been taken off when work was carried out and not clip together properly

Id say your boost pipes have blown off.
Happened to me, had new pipes and the turbo reconditioned to fix it.

If it's not a boost pipe then it may be the turbo. I'm less familiar with these but in an old car I had I got a loud bang with similar results - turbo housing had cracked between the exducer and wastegate port.

I agree with Max above normally black smoke is over fuelling caused by the ecu and other components recognising there is too much air so its starts chucking fuel in to compensate it over boosting,turbo light grey white smoke and depending on how the turbo has gone but a good symptom is it chucking out the light coloured smoke on tick over and it clearing when you rev it until revs drop down to tick over again.
Check the boost hoses properly all of them give them a tug both ends to make sure they are not pulling out of what they are housed in,as sometimes the metal clips break but not fully so underload the pipes are pulling apart

all sorted now
thanks for the reply`s
i took the guard off underneath the engine to find a bit of oil on the front nearside of the guard the pipe above had come out of it`s mounting i think the circlip wasnt fitted correctly
thanks
Mick

Audi a3 2.0 tdi - driving 30-35 mph when I heard a loud bang noise then lost all power - black smoke when rev
any suggestions

Audi a3 2.0 tdi - driving 30-35 mph when I heard a loud bang noise then lost all power - black smoke when rev
any suggestions
D015ADFB C356 41E8 A61E E361CCC0ECD6