AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Thread: 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro Or 140 2wd?

1st Gear

Status

2.0 TDI 170 Quattro Or 140 2wd?

Looking at A3 2.0 tdi Black Editions I always thought I'd look for a140bhp two wheel drive, until a dealer sent me info for a 170bhp Quattro, on top of his I repaired a dent for a guy with an A4 Quattro who sang its praises. So should I entertain 170 bhp and/or Quattro and what are the VED and insurance implications in comparison?
    Ask admin to advertise here

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Owned a 170 2wd a few years back. Found the torque was too much for the manual box, was constantly changing gears. Would look at the DSG/S-Tronic if going that route again.

Have heard the 140 is more tunable, DPF can cause issues tuning the 170 unless you get it removed.

Neutral

Status
    The 170 Quattro is fantastic, a very capable machine. We have one and its a brilliant all rounder. Just check its suitable for what you need as its going to give you DPF issues if you only do short round town journeys, having said that remap it DPF delete giving bucket loads of torque!

Learn how to use the Quattro correctly and have faith in it as you need to keep on the power on smoothly and progressively to allow it to pull you out of the bends.

Hope this helps
    Past Motors
    Golf Tdi
    Fiesta Zetec S
    350z

Current Rides
    S3
    A3 TDI Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks guys, but what's DPF? :-)

5th Gear

Status
    Quattro if your tuning i have the 140 and it wheel spins in 1st and 2nd with 19" wheels
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Smillie13 On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer View Post
    Thanks guys, but what's DPF? :-)
    Diesel particulate filter (or DPF) is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine.

5th Gear

Status
    I'd go for the 170 Quattro if I was buying again, my remapped 2wd 140 struggles to put the power down.

1st Gear

Status
    Aah, some real division here separating the boy racers :lol:

I have no intention of tuning or remapping, so is 170 better than 140, and if i go for 140 should I go with or without Quattro?

4th Gear

Status
    I got the 170 2wd version and have no trouble putting the power down whilst running 205bhp and 320lbs ft torque. Power is controlled by your right foot. If i wanted too I could get the wheels spinning in 3rd and 4th depending on conditions i.e damp roads

i went 2wd as I wanted the extra boot space and better fuel economy. For my the majority driving the 'Quattro' system (its not permanent 4wd drive like the A4) is largely redundant so i didnt fancy lugging the extra weight around. If people want to argue about when it snows etc I fitted winter tyres to mine and NEVER got stuck once. A decent set of winter tyres is cheaper than maintaining the Quattro system IMO

go drive both versions and make your own mind up
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

4th Gear

Status
    From driving many many of each, I prefer the 2wd as it is quicker, more economical and easier on the clutch. A quattro does have its place though, and depending on the roads you drive on it maybe more suitable,

Rick
    Rhyso likes this.
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyso View Post
    I got the 170 2wd version and have no trouble putting the power down whilst running 205bhp and 320lbs ft torque. Power is controlled by your right foot. If i wanted too I could get the wheels spinning in 3rd and 4th depending on conditions i.e damp roads

i went 2wd as I wanted the extra boot space and better fuel economy. For my the majority driving the 'Quattro' system (its not permanent 4wd drive like the A4) is largely redundant so i didnt fancy lugging the extra weight around. If people want to argue about when it snows etc I fitted winter tyres to mine and NEVER got stuck once. A decent set of winter tyres is cheaper than maintaining the Quattro system IMO

go drive both versions and make your own mind up
    I agree. My current A3 is a 2.0TDI-170 2wd and I have no problem with getting the power down. It's all down to how you use your right foot. If you just push it to the floor the wheels will spin. If that's all you do you should learn to drive!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3