gear boxes

lankyandy

Reaction score
iv just had my 2.0tdi quattro remapped and am very happy with the results but i am finding the gearing annoying now.the problem is that 3rd runs out at 60mph and i get ther very quickly so always end up changing to 4th during the over taking which isnt ideal.i was wondering if anyone has had ther gear box changed with completely new ratios or by altering the final drive and wot the results are.idealy i wouold like third to go to about 75-80mph and it deffinatly has the grunt to pull this now. any help on who to contact or any experiances greatly appreciated

Accept the fact that your gears are now one up from where they used to be. Diesels show this up much more as the torque is delivered much lower in the rev range.

I found my DSG performed much better when I was testing a Steinbauer tuning box which gave about 300lb ft. I'm just waiting for the Revo software to make it even better.

Try short shifting, it makes better use of the torque available.

I've never come across anyone fannying about with final drive or gear ratios, sounds like it could be very costly, especially on a quattro.

As MikeP says,altering things like this in a car is nigh on impossible (without spending silly money anyway).

On a bike,you just buy a different size sprocket,but no such luck with cars.

Presumably the DSG equipped cars just change that bit quicker?

I do know how painful it is to having to keep changing gear all the time because the power keeps coming in waves almost faster than you can keep up.

The gear ratios are,apparently,lower in DSG cars.

Why,I don't really know,other than Audi wanting to push the DSG as a 'performance' gearbox so they've lowered the ratios in the search for a better 0-60 time.

Unfortunately,short gearing on an engine with a limited rev range doesn't really go and with the DSG I find my car is constantly changing gear,which becomes tiresome.

Having driven a manual 2.0tdi,I found the actual gearing much better,even if it's just for the fact that you can hold onto a gear as low or as high as you want,without the gearbox 'taking over'.