RNSE 2010 reverse camera help please

rikbbb

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2010 RNSE (glossy screen surround, media button and chrome knobs) and I'm looking to fit a reversing camera. The problem I have is enabling the auto switch function when you put the car into reverse gear. I've done hours of hunting on forums but can only find info on the mk1 RNSE. Any one managed to get this working? Any help would be appreciated.

I've got it on mine and it works, but its not great. The CANBUS auto switch will flick to the camera when reverse is selected and will stay for a second then will momentarily flick to the previous screen, then back to the camera. Very annoying.

Relatively easy to wire in. I ran a wire from the Reverse Feed in the Central Electrics board to the RFSL of the RNS-E and connected my interface reverse +12 feed to this wire.

To sum it up, it is possible, but the auto-switch has a glitch which annoys the life out of me.

Hey what is the model number of the RNS-E? Also are you using the kufatec IMA?

I have been trying to figure out a way to get this working on a 193G versrion RNS-E but no luck yet...

Really want this to work flawlessly if I'm gonna invest the time and money in it. It's a G version RNSE. Was looking at a multimedia adaptor on eBay to send the camera signal in on the TV channel.

My method works on all MK2 193 RNS-E's.

i've taken a video of mine to show the flicker. I'll upload once Im back from Uni.

My interface is an AV adapter that runs through the TV channel like you said.

Oh that is awesome news that you guys got it working at least. Do you have a link to the adapter you are talking about? rikbbb, what adapter are you using at the moment? everything works fine except auto switching in reverse?

My method works on all MK2 193 RNS-E's.

i've taken a video of mine to show the flicker. I'll upload once Im back from Uni.

My interface is an AV adapter that runs through the TV channel like you said.

How did you wire the reverse signal into the RNSE and what coding did you use?

Oh that is awesome news that you guys got it working at least. Do you have a link to the adapter you are talking about? rikbbb, what adapter are you using at the moment? everything works fine except auto switching in reverse?

I haven't bought an adaptor yet as I want to make sure it's going to work first. The adaptor I'm looking at;
NEW! Plug&Play AV multimedia interface - RNS-E TV DVD - AUDI A3 A4 A6 | eBay

Just plug the camera into this interface and then plug into the back of the RNSE. Should work fine by selecting the TV on the RNSE but I want to have it so the RNSE automatically switches to the camera when put into reverse.

How did you wire the reverse signal into the RNSE and what coding did you use?

I mentioned above about the wiring mate:

Relatively easy to wire in. I ran a wire from the Reverse Feed in the Central Electrics board to the RFSL of the RNS-E and connected my interface reverse +12 feed to this wire.

Off the top of my head (did this retrofit last year) the coding was only to code the RNS-E for the TV and code in the adaptation channels that it has a Rear View Camera and thats it.

Uploading video to YouTube now so you can see the screen flicker. I assume that the only way this would be fixed would be if a software patch was released, which won't happen any time soon.

Here's the video of the flickering:

Ignore my commentary :D

Also, I'm still yet to determine whether the distortion at the top of the screen is due to the camera or the interface. Could be the interface with it being a cheap one, so be aware of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the video of the flickering:

Ignore my commentary :D

Also, I'm still yet to determine whether the distortion at the top of the screen is due to the camera or the interface. Could be the interface with it being a cheap one, so be aware of this.

I've read somewhere that if the picture signal is lost to the RNSE that it will automatically switch off from the TV input. Could be that as your camera and interface start up that they temporarily lose signal? You usually get this at home as you turn your TV on to HDMI or something and the picture flickers for a couple of seconds. Maybe worth trying wiring the camera and interface into an ignition feed instead so they are already powered up ready to go when the RNSE switches over to the TV input. You could run a cable straight off the battery as a test whilst it sits on your drive before running all the wiring.

Just a thought. May not change anything, but worth a try?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read somewhere that if the picture signal is lost to the RNSE that it will automatically switch off from the TV input. Could be that as your camera and interface start up that they temporarily lose signal? You usually get this at home as you turn your TV on to HDMI or something and the picture flickers for a couple of seconds. Maybe worth trying wiring the camera and interface into an ignition feed instead so they are already powered up ready to go when the RNSE switches over to the TV input. You could run a cable straight off the battery as a test whilst it sits on your drive before running all the wiring.

Just a thought. May not change anything, but worth a try?

Yeah, that would be worth a shot actually.

The reverse feed (which sends +12v down the line when reverse is selected) is connected to the RFSL on the back of the RNS-E and I've connected the camera +12v to this too, so by changing the camera +12v to a seperate ignition feed, this may solve the issue.

I was always under the impression that the flickering was due to the canbus checking system. ie, the rns-e picks up that it's in reverse then stays a couple of seconds, flicks back, but then releases reverse is still selected and goes back over.

I'll keep you updated.

Ok, i just installed a 8J0-035-193D in my '03 Allroad and I have gone through the VAG coding, and since I had a first gen RNS-E already the wiring and Kufatec were already there.

Could somebody please clue me in as to how to get the reverse camera to come up on the new RNS-E?? I'll deal with the VIM later..
P

Ok found it (adaptation channel)..Now I need to find out why the map/gps is'nt updating the position??

P

Last edited:
i have the same problem, i can get the cam to show up when it is in tv mode, but nthing comes up when you put it in reverse, tried lambo mode and everything, i have connected a wire to the rfsl too but still nothing

really annoying m now

Hello to all,
I have a similar problem with my RNS-E Led 193B HW:02 SW:220. Also I checked RNS-E label and I can see pin RFSL in C2.
My RNS-E Led is coded with 0215756.
With my old rns-e (192A) my RVC was working just fine with Kufatec IMA and I got camera and auto switch every time I enter in reverse gear.

Yesterday I installed my new RNS-E Led, just plug&play, code it whit VAG and in channel 004 I enter 1.
As soon I entered 1, my rns-e screen goes blank, but unit keep it running, because I can listen radio, and I got rear camera with auto switch, but nothing more on screen.
If I entered 3, my unit has normal screen but I don't get auto switch for rear camera. With code 3, I must press MEDIA button to have camera.

With vag I can see an error in Navigation 37:

1 Fault Found:
03157 - Functionality limited due to Communications Disruption
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 57
Mileage: 105534 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2013.12.14
Time: 14:16:06

Freeze Frame:
Bin. Bits: 00001000 00000000
Bin. Bits: 00000000 00000000

Anyone knows a solution for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Finally I got my RVC working with auto-switch when engage reversing. For that, I got a new RNS-E part number 8P0-035-193-J, with HW06 and software SW0700.
I never heard nothing about this "new" SW 0700. Anyone knows anything about this version?

Any updates on this?

I have glossy RNSE 193G version and am trying to avoid buying an expensive R8 module.

Is it possible to use a kufatec adapter for the latest rnse?

Cheers

Hi sir:
Do you have solve the problem as below that i have same problem with you on my RNS-E 193G?

I installed my new RNS-E Led, just plug&play, code it whit VAG and in channel 004 I enter 1.
As soon I entered 1, my rns-e screen goes blank, but unit keep it running, because I can listen radio, and I got rear camera with auto switch, but nothing more on screen.
If I entered 3, my unit has normal screen but I don't get auto switch for rear camera. With code 3, I must press MEDIA button to have camera.

Nope I still haven't got this to work-this is very frustrating indeed.

What box are you trying this with? I'm trying with the kufatec IMA interface but I don't think they are compatible with the latest RNSE's

Can I upgrade the firmware 650 for auto switch setup when I shift into reverse gear ?

I think this depends on what version of rnse you have.

If up you have the 193 with glossy black surround I think SW220 is the latest version out there-correct me if I'm wrong! So I'm not sure if the reverse cam boxes actually work with the latest rnse...

So here is the update from me now with this mod-still not got it working and it's really infuriating!

So what I get now is when I code adaption Channel 04 to 1 I get the reverse cam auto switch feed working but I can't do anything on the rnse in this mode with ignition turned on..

When I select reverse I get the auto switch reverse feed:

And when I turn the ignition off I go back to the main screen:

And when I turn the igition on again without selecting reverse I get this screen again:

And what is so frustrating is that when I'm in this screen I can't press any button on the rnse to make it go to nav or radio etc...

Surely someone must know what I'm doing wrong here.. I have been trying to get this working properly for over 6 months now and still haven't got it solved:(((((

Please someone advise me how to solve this to save my sanity....

Thanks

This is mod is absolutely killing me now-a whole day of trying different codes and I still haven't got it to work!!

I'm act silly thinking of throwing the stupid latest edition rnse in the bin and buying a better aftermarket unit so I can have my RVC working!!!

Surely someone has got this working with the latest rnse-please enlighten me...

Hi I got solution for your rear view camera when you into reverse gear that can't do anything.
Your device not rear view IC of RNS-E in your back rear PCBA board,so it's function not enable it for rear view .
Please check your pin c2 that mark N.C on your label.
That's not IC in your board if your mark N.C.
I'll try to get new PCBA board to solve this issue.

Hi I got solution for your rear view camera when you into reverse gear that can't do anything.
Your device not rear view IC of RNS-E in your back rear PCBA board,so it's function not enable it for rear view .
Please check your pin c2 that mark N.C on your label.
That's not IC in your board if your mark N.C.
I'll try to get new PCBA board to solve this issue.

Sorry you lost me there-what is pcba board?

You must be disassemble your Back cover from your RNS-E then you'll see the PCBA board that miss the Video IC in there
You can use link to know

So how do I know wether I need to upgrade my chipboard?

I don't think my problem is with the auto switching-my problem is that the boxes I have tried-kufatec and dietz - are not compatible with my RNSE (glossy surround)

Think the only option I have is to buy the expensive R8 reverse cam module for it to work.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

If you can find the IC chip that you can know it function for VIDEO auto switch control because the pin c2 is wiring to the chip in PCBA layout.
You can take off your back PCBA board to check.Can you sent the R8 module for me to reference it .
I just think camera is not possible to control in RNS-E system.
It's possible control by chip in RNS-E chip