Badger5EM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jb0o

Thread: RNSE 2010 reverse camera help please

Reverse Gear

Status

RNSE 2010 reverse camera help please

Hi,

I have a 2010 RNSE (glossy screen surround, media button and chrome knobs) and I'm looking to fit a reversing camera. The problem I have is enabling the auto switch function when you put the car into reverse gear. I've done hours of hunting on forums but can only find info on the mk1 RNSE. Any one managed to get this working? Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    I've got it on mine and it works, but its not great. The CANBUS auto switch will flick to the camera when reverse is selected and will stay for a second then will momentarily flick to the previous screen, then back to the camera. Very annoying.

Relatively easy to wire in. I ran a wire from the Reverse Feed in the Central Electrics board to the RFSL of the RNS-E and connected my interface reverse +12 feed to this wire.

To sum it up, it is possible, but the auto-switch has a glitch which annoys the life out of me.

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hey what is the model number of the RNS-E? Also are you using the kufatec IMA?

I have been trying to figure out a way to get this working on a 193G versrion RNS-E but no luck yet...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Really want this to work flawlessly if I'm gonna invest the time and money in it. It's a G version RNSE. Was looking at a multimedia adaptor on eBay to send the camera signal in on the TV channel.

Status
    My method works on all MK2 193 RNS-E's.

i've taken a video of mine to show the flicker. I'll upload once Im back from Uni.

My interface is an AV adapter that runs through the TV channel like you said.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Oh that is awesome news that you guys got it working at least. Do you have a link to the adapter you are talking about? rikbbb, what adapter are you using at the moment? everything works fine except auto switching in reverse?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jb0o View Post
    My method works on all MK2 193 RNS-E's.

i've taken a video of mine to show the flicker. I'll upload once Im back from Uni.

My interface is an AV adapter that runs through the TV channel like you said.
    How did you wire the reverse signal into the RNSE and what coding did you use?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by David A3T View Post
    Oh that is awesome news that you guys got it working at least. Do you have a link to the adapter you are talking about? rikbbb, what adapter are you using at the moment? everything works fine except auto switching in reverse?
    I haven't bought an adaptor yet as I want to make sure it's going to work first. The adaptor I'm looking at;
    NEW! Plug&Play AV multimedia interface - RNS-E TV DVD - AUDI A3 A4 A6 | eBay

Just plug the camera into this interface and then plug into the back of the RNSE. Should work fine by selecting the TV on the RNSE but I want to have it so the RNSE automatically switches to the camera when put into reverse.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rikbbb View Post
    How did you wire the reverse signal into the RNSE and what coding did you use?
    I mentioned above about the wiring mate:

Relatively easy to wire in. I ran a wire from the Reverse Feed in the Central Electrics board to the RFSL of the RNS-E and connected my interface reverse +12 feed to this wire.

Off the top of my head (did this retrofit last year) the coding was only to code the RNS-E for the TV and code in the adaptation channels that it has a Rear View Camera and thats it.

Uploading video to YouTube now so you can see the screen flicker. I assume that the only way this would be fixed would be if a software patch was released, which won't happen any time soon.

Status
    Here's the video of the flickering:

Ignore my commentary :D

Also, I'm still yet to determine whether the distortion at the top of the screen is due to the camera or the interface. Could be the interface with it being a cheap one, so be aware of this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Here's the video of the flickering:

Ignore my commentary :D

Also, I'm still yet to determine whether the distortion at the top of the screen is due to the camera or the interface. Could be the interface with it being a cheap one, so be aware of this.
    I've read somewhere that if the picture signal is lost to the RNSE that it will automatically switch off from the TV input. Could be that as your camera and interface start up that they temporarily lose signal? You usually get this at home as you turn your TV on to HDMI or something and the picture flickers for a couple of seconds. Maybe worth trying wiring the camera and interface into an ignition feed instead so they are already powered up ready to go when the RNSE switches over to the TV input. You could run a cable straight off the battery as a test whilst it sits on your drive before running all the wiring.

Just a thought. May not change anything, but worth a try?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rikbbb View Post
    I've read somewhere that if the picture signal is lost to the RNSE that it will automatically switch off from the TV input. Could be that as your camera and interface start up that they temporarily lose signal? You usually get this at home as you turn your TV on to HDMI or something and the picture flickers for a couple of seconds. Maybe worth trying wiring the camera and interface into an ignition feed instead so they are already powered up ready to go when the RNSE switches over to the TV input. You could run a cable straight off the battery as a test whilst it sits on your drive before running all the wiring.

Just a thought. May not change anything, but worth a try?
    Yeah, that would be worth a shot actually.

The reverse feed (which sends +12v down the line when reverse is selected) is connected to the RFSL on the back of the RNS-E and I've connected the camera +12v to this too, so by changing the camera +12v to a seperate ignition feed, this may solve the issue.

I was always under the impression that the flickering was due to the canbus checking system. ie, the rns-e picks up that it's in reverse then stays a couple of seconds, flicks back, but then releases reverse is still selected and goes back over.

I'll keep you updated.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'll keep you updated.
    Any update on this?

Status
    Sorry mate, haven't had a chance to change the wiring yet! Got an assignment in on Monday so I'll be sure to sort it on Tuesday
    David A3T likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Any update on this yet?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok, i just installed a 8J0-035-193D in my '03 Allroad and I have gone through the VAG coding, and since I had a first gen RNS-E already the wiring and Kufatec were already there.

Could somebody please clue me in as to how to get the reverse camera to come up on the new RNS-E?? I'll deal with the VIM later..
    P

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok found it (adaptation channel)..Now I need to find out why the map/gps is'nt updating the position??

P
    Last edited by penogg; 5th November 2013 at 02:15.

Reverse Gear

Status
    i have the same problem, i can get the cam to show up when it is in tv mode, but nthing comes up when you put it in reverse, tried lambo mode and everything, i have connected a wire to the rfsl too but still nothing

really annoying m now

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hello to all,
    I have a similar problem with my RNS-E Led 193B HW:02 SW:220. Also I checked RNS-E label and I can see pin RFSL in C2.
    My RNS-E Led is coded with 0215756.
    With my old rns-e (192A) my RVC was working just fine with Kufatec IMA and I got camera and auto switch every time I enter in reverse gear.

Yesterday I installed my new RNS-E Led, just plug&play, code it whit VAG and in channel 004 I enter 1.
    As soon I entered 1, my rns-e screen goes blank, but unit keep it running, because I can listen radio, and I got rear camera with auto switch, but nothing more on screen.
    If I entered 3, my unit has normal screen but I don't get auto switch for rear camera. With code 3, I must press MEDIA button to have camera.

With vag I can see an error in Navigation 37:

1 Fault Found:
    03157 - Functionality limited due to Communications Disruption
    000 - -
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100000
    Fault Priority: 6
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 57
    Mileage: 105534 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2013.12.14
    Time: 14:16:06

Freeze Frame:
    Bin. Bits: 00001000 00000000
    Bin. Bits: 00000000 00000000

Anyone knows a solution for this issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Audi A3 8P (MY2006) 2.0 TDi, Sport
    EU RNS-E 8P0 035 193 J - (HW06, SW700, Coded: 0215756) no SDS
    BT 8P0 862 335 N - Coded: 11402 & Lumia 925 - MFSW Coded: 0004012
    IMA Plus, Rear View Camera (Rear camera with auto switch)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Finally I got my RVC working with auto-switch when engage reversing. For that, I got a new RNS-E part number 8P0-035-193-J, with HW06 and software SW0700.
    I never heard nothing about this "new" SW 0700. Anyone knows anything about this version?

6+1 Gears

Status
    Never heard of J either. I thought that H was the last version...
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    Never heard of J either. I thought that H was the last version...
    That was my idea also, H the last version.... but my unit is an "J" with SW 0700 ?! Very strange