· Change the spark plugs– Every 15,000-20,000miles
· Haldex oil (if just oil, then change every 20K) and filter– 40K miles
· DSG Oil & Filter–40,000miles
· Cam Follower (sits between the camshaft and the HPFP and transmits drive to the pump) – Check every 5-7K Miles and I
advise changing it for peace of mind can be costly if it wears out. Not sure whether this has been updated on the 2009-
2012 8P Audi S3.
1) Initial symptoms: Is my cam or fuel pump unit wearing out?
- Oil stank of petrol
- Car smelt of petrol when stood outside (worse than normal despite running a catch can)
- Idle very unstable (constantly hunting and blipping)
- Drop off of power at high rpm under heavy load
- Noticeable high frequency ticking sound at very high RPM
Further investigation noted:
- Cam lobe wear marks / scoring around the external barrel edge of the cam - (not the usual wear signs at the tip where it comes into contact with cams).
The Cam follower Info was Copied from Warren_ s3 ..with pictures and a follow guide of changing a cam. use this link the guy at the bottom replied on.