Continental Tyres perishing?

ADi Nuff Valves

Reaction score
Website
www.moodysky.co.uk
I've just had my S3 in for a service and MOT. Everything was fine part from an advisory informing me both front tyres are perishing. Sure enough, when I took a look, there are cracks around the edge of the front tyres. These tyres were fitted by the Audi dealer I bought the car from about two years ago and have covered about 20k miles.

I'm a tad surprised that these branded tyres have gone south after two years. There is plenty of tred left and they look to be wearing evenly (dealer also did a 4 wheel alignment on the car). Any ideas what could've caused this? Haven't done any track days or anything on them. Just normal driving.

Old rubber. Perhaps tyres have been in stock a few years before being installed on your car.
Audi like other dealerships often use a third party to supply and install on-site.

Reactions: _G_
Old rubber. Perhaps tyres have been in stock a few years before being installed on your car.
Audi like other dealerships often use a third party to supply and install on-site.

+1 agreed... on top of this... rubber doesn't always survive harsh winters either. I've had conti's get through one winter and by the second they were showing signs of cracks... and having got through two winters they needed to be changed for the third!

As above - check the date codes on the tyres and report back. IIRC tyres should be changed after 5 years from manufacture date.

UV can also do damage to the sidewalls. Not that we get that much sun round these parts but parking in the shade would assist with tyre life. I also have some Autosmart vinyl shield that I put on the sidewalls when washing the car, seems to help a little bit aswell.