AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrLapou

Thread: Continental Tyres perishing?

1st Gear

Status

Continental Tyres perishing?

I've just had my S3 in for a service and MOT. Everything was fine part from an advisory informing me both front tyres are perishing. Sure enough, when I took a look, there are cracks around the edge of the front tyres. These tyres were fitted by the Audi dealer I bought the car from about two years ago and have covered about 20k miles.

I'm a tad surprised that these branded tyres have gone south after two years. There is plenty of tred left and they look to be wearing evenly (dealer also did a 4 wheel alignment on the car). Any ideas what could've caused this? Haven't done any track days or anything on them. Just normal driving.
    '07 Phantom Black S3

Superchips Bluefin Stage 1
    TTRS FBMFSW
    MY11 Rear Lights
    Auto-lights/Auto-Wipers/Auto-dimming rear view mirror/CHLH retrofit

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Old rubber. Perhaps tyres have been in stock a few years before being installed on your car.
    Audi like other dealerships often use a third party to supply and install on-site.
    _G_ likes this.

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Old rubber. Perhaps tyres have been in stock a few years before being installed on your car.
    Audi like other dealerships often use a third party to supply and install on-site.
    +1 agreed... on top of this... rubber doesn't always survive harsh winters either. I've had conti's get through one winter and by the second they were showing signs of cracks... and having got through two winters they needed to be changed for the third!

2nd Gear

Status
    Two years and bad weather as stated.

1st Gear

Status
    As above - check the date codes on the tyres and report back. IIRC tyres should be changed after 5 years from manufacture date.

1st Gear

Status
    UV can also do damage to the sidewalls. Not that we get that much sun round these parts but parking in the shade would assist with tyre life. I also have some Autosmart vinyl shield that I put on the sidewalls when washing the car, seems to help a little bit aswell.

6th Gear

Status
    old rubber - check date stamp
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)