Swapping alloys, keeping tyres...

mookster

Reaction score
Website
skewer.co.uk
Okay.

I've got the s line 5 spoke alloys on my motor and am aiming to change them later in the year. However, I've currently got a couple of knackered tyres which need replacing to get through MOT next month but I'm loath to spend out on some decent tyres to only use them for a couple of months.

So, the plan is to get new wheels in the same size as the current ones and then swap the tyres over. Tyre size is 225/40/18, but despite searching I can't find the width of the s line alloys mentioned anywhere. Guessing they'll either be 7.5 or 8 width, just wanted to confirm the size so that I can ensure I get new alloys that'll fit the same. Was also wondering if anyone knows the offset aswell, that way I can then work out what I need for best 'arch fill' purposes :)

as_new_02.jpg

As far as im aware they are 7.5 like Jay has said, and do you not have anybody with a spare set of wheels which you could lend?

I mean why narrow your selection on new wheels, due to the inconveniance of having low tread on your current tyres...

Just a thought (Y)

Turbo jay > Thanks mate, appreciate it :)

Jonathaan > I hear what you're saying and it's a consideration. Looking at options on wheels I'm happy to stick with 18"s and wouldn't want to go much wider anyway due to increased rolling resistance. I've just had a pair of Hankook Ventus V12 Evos put on and they're slightly wider than the Pirelli Rosos that were on originally, they'll easily fit an 8j rim without a great deal of stretch.

So, chances are I'll plump for BBS CH in 18x8 with offset of around ET45, and drop it a bit while I'm at it :)