8P3 side mirrors

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking for a pair of side mirrors for my A3. I know that for 8P3 there are two types, the big dumbo ones and some smaller, better looking ones.

How can I tell them apart on eBay?
I keep asking the sellers but they either don't know or they don't want to tell, hoping for me to buy them anyway.

Thank you!

I took my brushed aluminium effect dumbos covers off of my car and replaced
them with same size OE covers but in colour matched plastic.
I know they are the same size but somehow they don't look as big in black...
Do the prefacelift mirrors fit either car then?

Just checked and the dumbo size mirrors part number starts with 8T
That should help you be sure. 8T = bigger
Hunting around on ebay I'd say ones with an 8E prefix are what you are after.
Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
The thing is that I can't figure out from the pictures which one is it. When a seller eventually answers, all he says is that they are from a face-lift A3...
This one, for example, is the dumbo one or the smaller?

Last edited:
Hi there Johnny, not sure if you've managed to sort your problem out yet, but here's my input.
I bought an 09 plate Black Edition A3 a number of weeks ago, and the previous owner had replaced the two passenger side doors after a bump. Unfortunately on the drive back home I noticed that the wing mirrors were different (Annoying as hell!) So I've got one small, and one big =( I'm just saving up the pennies to get it replaced. Anyway, I've just been outside to have a look at them for you, and on the Smaller mirror, the indicator strip runs completely around to the front of the mirror, whereas on the Dumbo mirror, it has a short break / gap, before it reaches the front, if that makes any sense to you at all lol.

I've taken a couple of photos for you to make things a little clearer =) The Smaller mirror is first, hopefully you can see the difference in indicators that I mentioned =)

IMG 20130416 130521

IMG 20130416 130546

Hope that helps,
Christopher

Reactions: Ironborn
Hi there Johnny, not sure if you've managed to sort your problem out yet, but here's my input.
I bought an 09 plate Black Edition A3 a number of weeks ago, and the previous owner had replaced the two passenger side doors after a bump. Unfortunately on the drive back home I noticed that the wing mirrors were different (Annoying as hell!) So I've got one small, and one big =( I'm just saving up the pennies to get it replaced. Anyway, I've just been outside to have a look at them for you, and on the Smaller mirror, the indicator strip runs completely around to the front of the mirror, whereas on the Dumbo mirror, it has a short break / gap, before it reaches the front, if that makes any sense to you at all lol.

I've taken a couple of photos for you to make things a little clearer =) The Smaller mirror is first, hopefully you can see the difference in indicators that I mentioned =)

View attachment 14263

View attachment 14262

Hope that helps,
Christopher

Lol, I think the difference is more noticeable when S3 brushed aluminum are fitted

I see there is also a groove around the smaller one, which is more visible than other things.