Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Remap options/question

I know this has been covered numerous times but could really do with some advice. I have an A3 2.0TFSI which will shortly have all the hardware requirements for a stage 2 remap. My issue is that I will be leaving the UK soon and heading somewhere that if I wanted any remapping done it would involve a very expensive trip on a boat. This obviously means I want to get the car remapped before I leave and was considering taking the Revo SPS, Superchips Bluefin route or something similar just in case I have any issues and want to flash it back.

Opinions/experience on which remaps are generally more reliable and cause less problems in the long run? Also any suggestions on the best way to tackle my situation? As I said, once I'm there I won't have access to any remap dealerships.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boycie

Status
    Revo remaped S3 here for 60k and no problems. Currently stage 2+ and I have the SPS to change it back and forth as I please.

Makes sense :P

1st Gear

Status
    Some people will say they had no troubles with a map, some people will say they have. It really depends on the car to be honest.

The general consensus on here seems to be Revo or Shark, both offer the SPS type systems.
    MY10 Ibis White S3 - Black Edition

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the responses guys. I had a Revo on my MK4 Golf and loved it! I have done a little more research and have decided to go for the Shark with the STS unit. Mainly due to the excellent reviews but also due to the fact I live in Guernsey at the moment and don't have time to come over to the mainland to get it mapped before I leave the UK.

Another quick question, would the Carbonio intake be a sufficient CAI for Stage 2?

1st Gear

Status
    You can run stage 2 on the standard intake so it would be fine but i'd recommend a decent intake like the revo/amd, etc to maximise gains.
    2010 TT RS - Sepang Blue - MRC 420BHP, 600NM

2010 Stage 2+ S-Tronic S3 BE SB in Ibis White!! ....... SOLD

Boycie

Status
    Revo here or ITG personally. I had the ITG and changed to the Revo unit based on better performance figures.

Neutral

Status
    Might have been better to ask that question before ordering the Carbonio haha, oh well I will give it a try. The car is being taken to a hotter climate where it's hot hot hot all year round so was worried about heat soak and wanted something that would draw cooler air from outside the engine bay. Ideally want to keep the car as quiet as possible so thought the Carbonio was the best choice. Thanks for all the help!

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Just to give you a heads up mate. Shark dealers no longer support the STS option. If you definately want a Shark STS unit then you will have to contact Shark HQ direct or get a dealer to set up the transaction.

Shark Performance - Self Tuning System
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/VCDS/Wagner

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Just to give you a heads up mate. Shark dealers no longer support the STS option. If you definately want a Shark STS unit then you will have to contact Shark HQ direct or get a dealer to set up the transaction.

Thanks for letting me know, there are no dealers on Guernsey so will have to contact them directly.

5th Gear

Status
    Carbonio looks pretty but doesn't really do an awful lot else to be honest.
    As the filter sits in the engine cover you are still getting it warmed up nicely.
    I would just go for an intake and get the gains with stage 2. As above ITG are well proven and Shark notice gains over an Evoms when mapping a K04'd Octavia.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post

Hopefully I'm not hijacking your thread, apologies if so but this may be relevant to you. I spoke to Shark last week and they told me they don't usually remap on the rolling road & I'd have to pay another £70/80 if I wanted a RR run.

I come from the RTech school of remapping where you thoroughly check through a car before doing anything to it - does anyone have any experience with Shark and how thorough they are before a map? I've got a sneaking suspicion I can hear a boost leak.

How about Revo? I hear AMD are pretty thorough?
    MY10 Ibis White S3 - Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    That depends on the dealer, but the HQ guys know what they are doing.
    I personally can spot a dying MAF or boost leak pretty quickly - i write the software and know exactly how the car shouuld react. If there is any doubt, it's pressure tested. Different cars are likely to have different issues too. An RS4 suffers from multiple boost leaks, a TFSI from N80's, DV's and PCV. A PD is more likely to have an injector issue etc etc.

RIck
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ive have been looking at this myself and was going the Revo route at a local dealer. Thing is they on have a 2wd RR so would not be able to do a before and after check. Plrice is 499 + VAT.

I have now spoken to MRC ( they have done some work on my previous RS4 ) Spoke to Doug ( the main man )and he explained that with them the Car goes on the dyno first for a health check and readings, the map is then done (custom) and then back on the dyno. All for 550 including VAT.

So booking it in next week.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy07 View Post
    Ive have been looking at this myself and was going the Revo route at a local dealer. Thing is they on have a 2wd RR so would not be able to do a before and after check. Plrice is 499 + VAT.

I have now spoken to MRC ( they have done some work on my previous RS4 ) Spoke to Doug ( the main man )and he explained that with them the Car goes on the dyno first for a health check and readings, the map is then done (custom) and then back on the dyno. All for 550 including VAT.

So booking it in next week.
    Sounds like a very decent deal! I wish I could do the same, unfortunately there isn't even a rolling road over here. It's like living in the stone age when it comes to tuning. My options are either to fork out on a ferry ticket then drive up to the nearest 4wd RR and remap dealership or get my local garage to give the engine a once over before I install the map myself with the STS.

Is it an S3 that you have?