Wheels and weights

coreythorny

Reaction score
I've spent all day looking up wheels and weights and god knows what.
I cannot come to any decisions to general conclusions.

I still really like OEM style wheels, I know it's taboo but it would be replicas.

I have these standard S3 wheels are the minute:

d9581b29fd70626e6534731031700045_zpsfabbbfb2.jpg

IIRC these are ET54, 18x7.5j and weigh ~15.4kg each without tyres.

I like RS6 reps and Rotor reps but I presume they'll weigh more than mine now!
If I change the alloys I want to go for something which will actually aid in performance as the theory is 1kg or rotational mass makes for effectively 10kg of onboard weight.

I have looked at Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 which 18x8j ET45 weigh 9.0kg each without tyres.

What I'd like is something upto/around £700 for four alloys, 18" or 19", no tyres) which weigh similar of as close to the 1.2s but retain OEM looks.

Any information is appreciated. I think I read someone's BBS reps weighed 18kg each for 19x8.5j!

thanks for any information.

I'm running TSW Nurburgrings, 18x8.0, and they weigh ~8.4 kg each without tyres. :thumbup:

I'm running TSW Nurburgrings, 18x8.0, and they weigh ~8.4 kg each without tyres. :thumbup:

nice never thought TSW made lightweight thaats sure got my attention :) i was going for Team dynamics pro race 1.2 anthracite 18 *9's

I remember a set of TSW Imolas on my 205 years ago; Lightweight they were not!
There is a guy over on Edition selling a set of TD ProRace 1.2s very cheap at the moment. Can't remember the size I'm afraid but they are the right fitment. Maybe worth a PM? Need a refurb (paint) but that's nothing...
I have to admit I think the original alloys you have look fab on these. Good luck! If you can spend a bit more, Speedline Turinis or Comp MO18 are also very light.

Sorry for buming an old thred, is the OEM pre-facelift wheels actualy weights 15.4 KG? can someone conrim that?

..... :) i was going for Team dynamics pro race 1.2 anthracite 18 *9's

This is what I use on mine.

They're about 10-11kgs each.

I remember a set of TSW Imolas on my 205 years ago; Lightweight they were not!
There is a guy over on Edition selling a set of TD ProRace 1.2s very cheap at the moment. Can't remember the size I'm afraid but they are the right fitment. Maybe worth a PM? Need a refurb (paint) but that's nothing...
I have to admit I think the original alloys you have look fab on these. Good luck! If you can spend a bit more, Speedline Turinis or Comp MO18 are also very light.

TSW NURBURGRING

for 18 x 8 they are light in comparison to other brands 8.4kgs /18.6lbs

Nurburgring Alloy wheels in matte gunmetal, gunmetal w/ mirror cut face, and matte bronze by TSW | www.TSW.com

OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERA 18 x 8
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...se&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Weight

TEAM DYNAMICS PRO RACE 1.2

18x8.0e23-45mm4 & 5 stud98mm120mm9.0kgs

Wheel Range

so basically the TSW 'are' the lightest !

wow...tsw got my atention now!! how strong are they?

wow...tsw got my atention now!! how strong are they?

ill let you know mate.. i bought some from the US i should be getting them in 2 -3 weeks mind you waited a while.. i paid 1200USD with shipping too for 18 x8 et45...

it states on their site that they are rotary forge mate... so im assuming they are good .. as OZ racing use the same technique..

right mate... they are called 'LIGHT' weight wheels for a reason pretty straight forward the lighter the car the faster its power/weight ratio is.. basically removing 1lb of rotational weight is equivalent to removing 3 lbs of static eight so if the difference is larger.. i.e. OEM crappy wheels that it will almost certainly affect acceleration...the heavier the car the more the suspension needs to work...i.e. dampen the forces.. so the heavier it is the more strain on the suspension... as for suspension when i say that i mean everything.. as it seems you don't get the gist of it.. its wheels/handling 101 :p

lightweight aerodynamic wheels cool brakes better.. less rotational weight... means the suspension and hub last longer :)

right mate... they are called 'LIGHT' weight wheels for a reason pretty straight forward the lighter the car the faster its power/weight ratio is.. basically removing 1lb of rotational weight is equivalent to removing 3 lbs of static eight so if the difference is larger.. i.e. OEM crappy wheels that it will almost certainly affect acceleration...the heavier the car the more the suspension needs to work...i.e. dampen the forces.. so the heavier it is the more strain on the suspension... as for suspension when i say that i mean everything.. as it seems you don't get the gist of it.. its wheels/handling 101 :p

lightweight aerodynamic wheels cool brakes better.. less rotational weight... means the suspension and hub last longer :)

I understand the point of reducing overall weight (in terms of acceleration), but didn't really get how it affects cornering/suspension as technically it's not under load.

But I do appreciate that if you're cornering the trailing wheels will provide additional weight (ie. pulling on the car/suspension components on that side).

Didn't realise that 1lb on an unsprung wheel would equate to 3lbs of sprung weight, so that's helpful to know.

I understand the point of reducing overall weight (in terms of acceleration), but didn't really get how it affects cornering/suspension as technically it's not under load.

But I do appreciate that if you're cornering the trailing wheels will provide additional weight (ie. pulling on the car/suspension components on that side).

Didn't realise that 1lb on an unsprung wheel would equate to 3lbs of sprung weight, so that's helpful to know.

you're very welcome.. i guess thats the idea of a forum anyway :D .. i learn everyday on here