Windscreen wipers 2004 a3

Dandavies

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone can help me.

windscreen wipers were working fine on Wednesday night.
came to go to work Friday went to turn them on and nothing at all.

The back wiper works ok and the front washers still squirt.

i have checked every fuse in the car and they are all ok.
The only thing I haven't checked is relays because I don't no what is what. Under the bonnet next to the battery there is 3 relays with the fuses and don't no what they do.

There is also some relays behind the fuses in the car?

If anyone can help I would be much appreciated I don't want to buy a new motor if there is something else.

Thanks Dan.

I have Xenons yes but what has that to do with windscreen wipers?

I think he means, do you have HID kits installed? Some kits have been known to blow the wiper motor and thus stop your wipers from working.

i have a hid kit on my car yes sorry, but its been on since i got the car at christmas funny how they stop working now or does it take time?

i have a hid kit on my car yes sorry, but its been on since i got the car at christmas funny how they stop working now or does it take time?

Can do it at any time - sounds like you've been lucky up to now ! High frequency voltage spikes on start up kill the motor. There are HID kits out there that profess not to kill the motor but depends whether you are prepared to risk it. New motor is about £300 fitted I believe (but not sure ! )

My advice is replace HID's with halogen ( or fit OEM ) and then replace wiper motor. If you try and replace wiper motor first then it will most likely go again !

Have you got self-levelling sensors and headlamp washers ? These should be installed to stop dazzling oncoming drivers and are (slowly) becoming a requirement for MOT.

Original Equipment Manufacturer. Or, in laymans terms about £1000 +

Sounds like the guy that had the car before you did it on the cheap and not properly !

There was a thread recently about a company that can fix the wiper motors for u when they do stop working in such an event. Cant remember the name of them sorry

Ok thanks no problem I've put normal bulbs back in now and going to the garage for them to fix it. What's the best bulbs to put in then that are bright and won't affect the wipers in the future.

Ok thanks no problem I've put normal bulbs back in now and going to the garage for them to fix it. What's the best bulbs to put in then that are bright and won't affect the wipers in the future.

Osrams or Philips are good

Hi Dandavies,

Your wiper motor was broken because of your aftermatket HID.

The are 2 solutions:
- New Wiper Motor £300
- Fix your broken wiper motor £45
(there is a company that repair the wiper motor)

If you seach in the forums you will see that there is some special HID for Audi A3.
This HID will avoid the wiper motor problem.