Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By max69vk

Thread: Vibrating idle?

1st Gear

Status

Vibrating idle?

My a3 2.0 tdi when sat on tickover the car shakes, i have added a can of bg244 fuel cleaner along with a full tank and the engine seems smoother and it had a cambelt yesterday! (Used te lolypop tools) to time it up! The vibrating goes when i put it in gear and feel for the bite abit! I read the codes yeaterday and it said glow plug 3 curcit problem cleared the code and read it again today and it says glow plug 2 problem? Wondering if its either the dmf or maybe the injector loom? Any ideas? Car dosnt do it cold i dont think!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Enthusiast

Status
    Might be the injector looms. VAG released a revised one at some point.
    VCDS USER

Reverse Gear

Status
    Im having the same problem. Intermitant. Garage said today that no obvious faults with it. Dies it disapate when you turn your ac on?

1st Gear

Status
    No! I have tried the ac! It has no effect on the vibration! Is the new loom diffrent to the one on the car now then? As im looking at a few on ebay! (New)

1st Gear

Status
    The car seems to run fine from cold if i just let it tick over! If i drive and stop while its still cold its like its missing on a cylinder untill i rev the engine! Once the engine is warm it runs fine other than the vibration which is allways there hot or cold!

4th Gear

Status
    They haven't set the torsion value correctly when doing the cambelt.
    The front cam needs to be finely adjusted using VCDS then the rear cam needs to be manually adjusted to the same position to match. This will be your issue.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

4th Gear

Status
    Forgot to say this will be your issue if its only occurred after the cambelt.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

1st Gear

Status
    The issue has allways been there since i got it! Thought the cambelt would sort it! Is the witing loom for the injectors the same as on the 170 bhp as my 140 bhp?

Reverse Gear

Status
    My started after cambelt change!! Good on ya max. Any idea the prices involved in sorting it? I imagine audi would be best to do it as it was an independant that buggrd it up in the first place.

4th Gear

Status
    Ade, the wiring loom is the same on a 140 & the 170. You can pick them up for around £60-70 on a well known auction site for a genuine part.

Ben, find yourself someone local with VCDS using the forum map, its literally 3 bolts to loosen on each cam to adjust things.

1st Gear

Status
    I shal be ordering a ser of glow plugs and the injector harnis today to see if that currs my problem! Fingers crossed!

Neutral

Status
    Mine is off to Audi today for this problem looking at. Will report back with what they find. Normally try diagnose things myself but to be honest I thought there's many things it could be and don't currently have time to check myself.

1st Gear

Status
    maybe the timing?

1st Gear

Status
    Okay today i fit the new loom and new glow plugs and the problem is still there!, my vcds turned up today and i just lowerd the revs to aroun 800 rpm an it was abit better but was still there! The torsion value is 0.6
    so i have no idea! Im guessing the injectors are at fault! Anybody have any advise?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade6 View Post
    Okay today i fit the new loom and new glow plugs and the problem is still there!, my vcds turned up today and i just lowerd the revs to aroun 800 rpm an it was abit better but was still there! The torsion value is 0.6
    so i have no idea! Im guessing the injectors are at fault! Anybody have any advise?
    As I say my car was going to Audi today for the exact same issue.
    I drove a couple of miles with the Audi workshop bloke with me and he felt the judder at idle (it's generally when it's warmed up I notice). I also had it in for seeing why the gear stick moves when I take my foot off the gas.

Anyways - they said on the phone there's nothing they can find needs doing or that's at fault and that it won't run like a new car.

I appreciate it won't run like a new car but I've been in other cars with same engine and this doesn't happen so :/ Not sure what to do now. It's just annoying - little things like this annoy me :P

Enthusiast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
    As I say my car was going to Audi today for the exact same issue.
    I drove a couple of miles with the Audi workshop bloke with me and he felt the judder at idle (it's generally when it's warmed up I notice). I also had it in for seeing why the gear stick moves when I take my foot off the gas.

Anyways - they said on the phone there's nothing they can find needs doing or that's at fault and that it won't run like a new car.

I appreciate it won't run like a new car but I've been in other cars with same engine and this doesn't happen so :/ Not sure what to do now. It's just annoying - little things like this annoy me :P
    My gear stick does the same thing. It's been doing it for a while. Maybe gearbox mounts are old?
    VCDS USER

6th Gear

Status
    800 rpm isn't that abit low ? I thought 840 was standard ?
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SAiLO View Post
    My gear stick does the same thing. It's been doing it for a while. Maybe gearbox mounts are old?
    Yeah they did say they were cracking a bit but not to bother changing them yet. Not like a stealer to discourage you :P

4th Gear

Status
    If you get the torsion & cam position right you can run the RPM really low, I've got mine at 780rpm & had it a 740rpm before where it was totally silent & vibration free!

Do a search for torsion value in Google & you'll get all the info you'll ever need on to to set it. Make sure you use VCDS to check it (adjust the front cam) & then set the rear to match (by sight). Aim to get the value to 0.
    tdi-man likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I set the rmp to 700 to see what it was like and just made it quieter! Ive noticed that ny oil if filling up with i think is diesel! I think im going to try injector seals or tandem pump! It dosnt smoke when i start it! Only in verry cold mornings!

6th Gear

Status
    OMG turned my idle down to 800 and went on a run until warm and sharking at idle seams to have stopped. always check that your timing is bang on first .
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

1st Gear

Status
    Had a play with the torsion value today and got it to 0.0 and then tweaked the exhaust cam and the car seems to idle a million timea better! Is there any way to get the rear cam 100% by using vcds as a guide?

6th Gear

Status
    u have to set flywheel to drop dead centre then adjust front cam and pin it then ajust rear cam until u can pin it

1st Gear

Status
    I done the cambelt last week! I used the lolypop locking tool kit! And locked the crank in place ect! But it hunted just the same! I adjusted the torsion value to 0.0 but i just moved the rear cam untill i had it running better! But is there a wAy i can check it on vcds like the torsion value?

6th Gear

Status
    no I don't think so manual adjustment only

1st Gear

Status
    Well i have the rpm set at 800 and it seems good! What consumption are you getting from your car?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade6 View Post
    I set the rmp to 700 to see what it was like and just made it quieter! Ive noticed that ny oil if filling up with i think is diesel! I think im going to try injector seals or tandem pump! It dosnt smoke when i start it! Only in verry cold mornings!
    700 is so low I got to 777rpm any lower car would jolt 700 should be silent and smooth 777 for me was ok but pulling away was having to give it more revs and when cold was not great. your injectors or something must be good to run that low.

tdi-man
    is that set when you replace the flywheel or set from factory?

1st Gear

Status
    I had a play with my vcds last night and i have set my rpm to 800 im sure it says actual rpm is 720! But my spedo is sits on the line before the 1! Which i think is 800!

6th Gear

Status
    to set timing correctly and I have seen it done this way you set the flywheel to top centre by looking threw inspection hole once that is bang on adjust front cam and pin then adjust rear cam and pin .