smoke!!!!

cal 7888

Reaction score
Hi guys, yet another thing! Had glow plugs put in it! But still lumpy start up from cold and also Smokey! On tick over doesn't smoke but when pulling away there is a grey/blue smoke! And also when boosting there is abit but not alot! Its a 2.0 tdi 140! I'm hoping its not injectors, but im kinda thinking it is... Can anyone shead some light on it?
Cheers

Nope completely standard! Also on start up its lump and almost on 3 cylinders! Also black and white/blue smoke on start up, but this is the only time its black! Just read another thread about the tandem pump, about the seal breaking down and mixing fuel and oil! Could this be a posibility? Going to take the fuel filter off tomoz and check the colour!
Cheers

I'm not really sure, only had mine 5 months so don't know a huge amount about them. Although they all smoke blue black and white, I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Diesels are known for just simply "working" they can sound like a bag of spanners when there is nothing wrong with them.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the oil level more than often and if it goes down pretty quickly there's a leak somewhere and it's mixing.

I also think there was an injector recall to, but don't know a huge amount.

Mine was quite rough until it was mapped where its now a lot smoother, puts out enough black smoke to fill a small room every time you boost though haha

I see! What's cold start up like on yours?? Is it lumpy? And looking at getting it mapped anyway, bit don't want to put the money in if the injectors are gone! :/

starts pretty much after the first crank, best starting car ive had. can sound like the cambelt is slipping somedays which is when it sounds like a bag of spanners but its fine once it warms a little more.

Try finding a dealer that does a 30 day money back guarantee and see if it makes any difference to it.

I think the plugs were genuine Audi but not sure! and yeeeh this almost sounds on 3, but after a second or two settles down! Just don't know where to look next... :/

if not mistaken blue smoke = turbo change..., if you think its injectors which mean the car will be running lean therefore... but you have stated that it starts up fine .. just clean them injectors using an ultrasonic cleaner mate they would turn as good as new just get some new seals before you go one and check other sings... try putting it on VCDS

Blue smoke = burning oil.

However, diesel has a lot of oil in it anyway.

It certainly does not mean turbo change, there is many things that could be causing oil burning even things like worn piston rings. You only really need to worry when it's drinking excessive oil and you have plumes of blue smoke out the back instead of black

From cold its starts lumpy and not very good also quite abit of smoke (all colours)! But when warm it starts on the button! Its not plumes of smoke the smoke isn't a strong blue colour like a whitey bluey colour! Only smokes when turbo kicks in but if you rev up and hold at a constant rpm the smoke comes as it revs up and goes when held on constant! I'm running some injector cleaner through it atm and seeing how it goes! The turbo is noisey and even in previous garage visits this has been noted! I'm going to keep an eye on the oil level aswell!
Cheers for the advice

say what now? how do you do this? im interested

just buy an ultrasonic clearn they are like 30-60 pounds put some water and additives leave it for 30 mins and take them out all the 8L boys do it including myself when i serviced the 8P last friday...

@smurfworth : as for the blue smoke on a 'petrol' would mean ur turbo is knackered so excuse me if i thought it be the same.. check seals possibly too

Does this work on the 8p though? Because they had dodgey injectors anyway didn't they? Its a big job to get them out aswell! :/

just clean them injectors using an ultrasonic cleaner mate they would turn as good as new just get some new seals before you go one and check other sings

Rather a big job on the 140 BKD engine... You'll also need the correct tool to re-seat the injectors and DTI gauge to reset the injectors once back in place... I wouldn't advise it unless you know what your doing

Yes its a big job! Haha has anyone done this to the 8p and had good results, or is this just a 8l thing that might work on an 8p? Don't wanna do it if its not gona change anything! :/ I have to say its getting better with the injector cleaner! Hopefully will cure it! Just odd how it only smokes when the turbos boosting! And only at the start of the spool not right the way through!

Have you scanned your car with VCDS? Has it ever gone into limp mode? What sort of noise your turbo is making?

I have done it to my 8p2 with a bwa engine code also carbon clean the inlet its not that big of a job its riht there but as mentioned u need the right tools ... to date i have no issue and thankfully no errors on vcds or the sort can even do it to the fpr

Been advised to fit a temperature sensor! And to be honest all the symptoms add up to it! If it was a dodgey injector it would go into limp mode straight away! Which it hasn't... I will clean the inlet thanks for the advice! Every little helps! Haha and the turbo is just more noisey than I would have thought it to be! On run down its loud and in the service history, over the the last 2 years this has been noted! Thanks

Been advised to fit a temperature sensor! And to be honest all the symptoms add up to it! If it was a dodgey injector it would go into limp mode straight away! Which it hasn't... I will clean the inlet thanks for the advice! Every little helps! Haha and the turbo is just more noisey than I would have thought it to be! On run down its loud and in the service history, over the the last 2 years this has been noted! Thanks

everyone should clean there inlet at least every year once as it will cause sludge build up inside the engine... im sure we all know what happens next.... it will also cause random judder as if u have a dodgy coil/ spark

I used to have this problem, I had a bent conrod and car was pretty much on 3 cylinders

I have done it to my 8p2 with a bwa engine code also carbon clean the inlet its not that big of a job its riht there but as mentioned u need the right tools ... to date i have no issue and thankfully no errors on vcds or the sort can even do it to the fpr

Not familiar with that engine code, it is petrol I take it?

Op is asking about the 2.0tdi BKD engine. The injectors are inside the rocker cover, they are PD injectors and increase the pressures to thousands of psi by an extra fuel rocker layout and fuel is supplied in head. They are not as simple as petrol injectors and are more involved to remove and replace!

The injectors aren't that hard to change once you've got the rocker cover off, there's a single bolt holding them in! It's a little bit diddly & new seals must be fitted every time you remove/replace the injector unit.

Things to do:

1. Get the car on VCDS to check the torsion value & adjust the cams as required (search the forum for how)
2. Clean the injectors with Diesel Purge (again, search the forum) it works 100x better than in-tank additives.
3. Check your oil level & what spec oil you're running.
4. Check the oil breather (PCV) located in the cam cover, if this blocks the engine produces too muck crankcase pressure which in turn forces the turbo seals to leak oil into the exhaust (hence the blue/white smoke. If it is blocked you can't replace the breather it's a whole new cam cover required - crap VAG design!

Apparantly it can be the air flow sensor aswell still gona clean the inlet!