V6 Cam Locking Tool

autolatry

Reaction score
Does anyone know the dimensions of the cam locking tool for the 3.2 V6?
It seems daft paying £100 for a tool I'm (hopefully) will only use once and there is a company that will water jet me 2 out for a reach round and a love bite.

Take you are away to do the chains £££ I have seen the cams being locked up with flat bar it doesn't look like a bad job I have the guide for it think its 16 hours though

Yeah head gasket and chains. I've put 15 hours in already and I'm only just ready to take the head off - when I get the cam locking plates . I know the plate is 6mm thick but il probably end up buying one as I'm very nervous about getting the timing set correctly.

So as soon as I get the tool, the heads going to come off, whilst its getting pressure tested and skimmed il drop the gearbox, have an anxiety attack and then try put it all back together.

Its worth noting though, from the inspection I have done of the chain rails, they are knackered. The top one has a very deep groove in it from where the chain has worn it away. The cars done 100k.

Very brave or a mechanic I was considering doing my chains myself but the update cured my rough running but I asked the mechanic about the chains he said they change both cam adjusters,intermediate gears,all guides tensioners and I assume they change the vvt assembly with the top tensioner not sure about the oil pump though he said 1.5 k on parts ouch

I'm no mechanic but it's just a case of disassemble and reassemble when it comes down to it. Although its taking me so long I may forget how it goes back together lol.

I'm just changing the chains and tensioners and gaskets, no sprockets orcam adjusters . getting parts from these chaps.

EuropeanPerformanceProducts - Timing Chain Kit - Audi A3 8P1 3.2l V6 Quattro - Engine Code: BDB, BMJ, BUB AZS001V6

Im going to get the ecu update when I've done all this, it's made a big difference to yours then has it?

It would be interesting to see photos of your existing guides to gauge wear on these parts I have come across a site with a guy that had 3.2 engine failure due to a soft intermediate gears it was American site it stated that the gear had not been hardened when made not sure if it was widespread or not though might be worth inspecting though as you have put a lot of hours in