A3 3dr and baby seats?

TimG

Reaction score
So with our little one on the way in June, I've been out buying baby seats and travel systems! First time I have had to research this type of vehicle! Anyway ended up with a Maxi Cosi cabriofix with the Familyfix base, which Im really happy with. The problem is now my car :(

Having the Isofix base permanantly in the car helps avoid seatbelt fiddling which is a good start. The seat itself does fit through the door opening with the seats slid forward, but only with some very creative maneuvering which Im not sure baby is going to appreciate if in the seat! Unfortunately the seat wont quite fit through the gap upright, mainly due to the handle :( Handle down is just about doable, but its gonna be pretty hairy clambering throught the hole with a little one in the seat!

Has anyone else had any experience with this? As far as I can see, Im left with taking the baby out the seat every time we want to put the seat in and out the car (so it can go on the travel system pushchair) leave the seat in the car all the time and wake the baby to remove him, or buy a 5 door!

Anyone want to px me a sportback or A4 avant!!!!

Ha Ha, yes 3door cars are pain with baby seats, not too good on yer back as well. You'll have to suffer or change to a 5 door car. Babies are expensive to bring up, don't yer know.
Long ago I had 3 little 'uns and a Ford Anglia with a small rear bench seat, I could wedge all 3 kids in there so they didn't slide about. All in the days before seat belts and baby seats become compulsory.
These days I have to consider grandchildren in my car and a 5 door is compulsory for me.

That's what I'm gonna have to deal with soon too...
-Subscribed-

I managed the same, but through an even smaller 206 GTi front seat to back seat gap. You soon become an expert at positioning the baby seat perfectly to fit through the gap you have without dropping baby on his/her bonce.

I had the exact same car seat/isofix combination as you, was easy in my old 55 Polo but a little harder in the 3 door S3.
It is do-able as long as your careful :) but even the mrs could do it with a bit of practise in a tight car park.
If i remember correctly you can get a little more clearance depending on how high the front seat is.

Just stick them in the boot, can't hear them cry then with the radio on.