unsure which A3 to buy?

sean.smithy

Reaction score
I know its a while away but over the next year or so im saving up for an A3 :)

My budget will be between 6-7k id imagine, im completely new to Audi's as come next year i would have only been driving 3 years and currently owning a clio i wouldnt know whats best.

When the time comes id be 20 so i hope insurance wouldnt be a problem.

Just wondering whether to get a 2.0 TDI 170 or if i can find one a 2.0 TFSI, i like the s-line editions of them both.

But for you experienced Audi owners, for my price range what a3 would you suggest?

Many Thanks
Sean :)

the insurance significantly goes down at 21 and 25 im pretty sure. for example my old focus st170, was 3300 when i was 20 to insure and it went to 1700 when i was 22, with only 1more year no claims.
(the 2.0 tfsi cheapest quote is 950/year atm, which i think is great news tbh!)

But in terms of A3, im looking at the 2.0 tfsi, just because i want an S3 and thats out of my price range lol! but depends how often you enjoy visiting the petrol station to get diesel or petrol i guess.

Im unsure on the tuning potential of the diesel 170's, other than the remap what else can you do to get more power? maybe someone can enlighten me.

JJ.

it's just with my price range I'd be looking at 170 tdi or tfsi the mileage would be high, I'd be lucky to find a low ish mileage one?

Tfsi if you want performance, try and get one with Quattro jf your thinking of upping the power! and don't do many miles, but the Tdi is cracking engine, fantastic with a map! Again if you map I'd suggest Quattro to handle the torque, especially in the wet!

I do many miles tbh, I do a 300 mile round trip to England and back quite often so I think the tdi is my best bet, I'd like the 170 bhp one but if I have to settle with the 140 I will, is there much difference? can I get a good tdi in my price range?

The 170PD Tdi with a map, dpf delete, full miltek and possibly injectors...you could easily achieve 250+ and loads of torque! I had the 140 Tdi before my tfsi, and I thought it was a brilliant engine!

I do many miles tbh, I do a 300 mile round trip to England and back quite often so I think the tdi is my best bet, I'd like the 170 bhp one but if I have to settle with the 140 I will, is there much difference? can I get a good tdi in my price range?

There's not a great amount of difference between the 140 and 170, you'll get pretty similar power gains from a
Remap. And improved mpg. Should be able to find one in your price range! Maybe 56p plate with 60-80k on the clock

okay that's brilliant :)! what one would you suggest to go for? 140 or 170? if I can afford the 170 when the time comes would it be worth buying that one or still stick with the 140?

I have a 140 and I'm happy with it, wish I went for a Quattro now though. Getting it mapped soon too. Guessing a 170 would go like stink after a map.

If you can find one, go for the Quattro, makes a world of difference

Yeah im going for quattro for the tfsi. In my 170bhp focus i cudnt even keep power down all the time at low speeds nevermind something faster, and thats not even going into if its wet.

jJ.

Quattro if your going for a 170. My mapped 140 struggles to put the power down if its "slightly" damp.

okay :) I shall be constantly saving and saving :p determined to have an audi and be part of this forum too :)! i shall see what is around at the time when it comes to buy it but thank you all :) you have helped, going to get a tdi next year, just have to wait and see which one :p

ive been looking at s-line quattros in my price range and the mileage seems really high :/ looking around 120k on the clock, some with more :/ is this a bad thing? would it effect the future modifications that id like to do to it? like a remap and stuff?