Summer performance tyres

Ben S3 8P3

Reaction score
What are peoples tyre of choice for the S3 and RS3?

I was wanting some Pilot Super Sports, but I don't think you can get them in the 225/40/18/92 spec :(

What are peoples tyre of choice for the S3 and RS3?I was wanting some Pilot Super Sports, but I don't think you can get them in the 225/40/18/92 spec :(
You can get them in 225x40x18,but not 92 spec as far as I can remember.
The other choices are down to the usuals like F1's,Conti 5's,PS3s,and so on,unless you want a real dry weather tyre like Toyo R1Rs or R888s.

All round good tyre = Conti 5, PS3

Summer tyre = Any Toyo Assymetric as the compound is softer. R888's if you live next door to silverstone and have 9 million quid to spend on tyres.

Directional treaded tyres I find are constantly pulling one way or the other. so make sure you don't choose a tyre just becuase it looks "good".
:)

The Kumho Ecsta V700 tyres that come standard on the Cooper S GP look amazing and are apparently a really sticky soft compound. But I don't want a track tyre really. http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/images/kumho_ecstaV700.jpg

What are meant to be optimised for performance, PS2 or PS3? The Super Sport has been given number 1 summer tyre on tyrereviews.co.uk. Could the 88 load tyres be used on the S3 ?

All round good tyre = Conti 5, PS3Summer tyre = Any Toyo Assymetric as the compound is softer. R888's if you live next door to silverstone and have 9 million quid to spend on tyres.Directional treaded tyres I find are constantly pulling one way or the other. so make sure you don't choose a tyre just becuase it looks "good". :)
Very good advice.....there are plenty of tread patterns that "look" good,but don't deliver in grip terms,but I have to say that price and wear aside,I am amazed by the grip levels even in sub-optimal conditions on the R888s.

Way better than the R1Rs under the same conditions apart from standing water.

Does anyone know what the minimum load rating you can use on an S3 is? i.e can you use 88Y? Not sure where you could find the information

There are a few really good tyres in that dimension, for example;

> Dunlop Sport Maxx RT
> Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
> Bridgestone Potenza S001
> Michelin Pilot Sport 3
> Vredestein Ultrac Vorti

Michelin Pilot Super Sport are announced in 225 40R 18 92Y, but not yet available...

There are a few really good tyres in that dimension, for example; Michelin Pilot Super Sport are announced in 225 40R 18 92Y, but not yet available...
When it does become available,I may well get a set for my everyday tyres(although probably in 245s to fit the current rims),as this seems to be the best all-rounder at the moment.

Very good advice.....there are plenty of tread patterns that "look" good,but don't deliver in grip terms,but I have to say that price and wear aside,I am amazed by the grip levels even in sub-optimal conditions on the R888s.

Way better than the R1Rs under the same conditions apart from standing water.

Im sure they are ok in dampish conditions...but initial price is fairly large and they have about half the tread depth of most new tyres don't they?

In reality in my eyes, only FWD 360bhp+ and 4WD cars upwards of that (like yours), really need those sort of tyres.

I have Michelin PS3s and very happy with them!

I've just bought a set of PS3's from ATS last week, that are 225/40/18 ZR 92y.
Cracking set of tyres, also they are doing 30% off at the moment and if you buy 4 you get a £50 fuel card from Michelin.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: Ben S3 8P3
Im sure they are ok in dampish conditions...but initial price is fairly large and they have about half the tread depth of most new tyres don't they?

In reality in my eyes, only FWD 360bhp+ and 4WD cars upwards of that (like yours), really need those sort of tyres.

The tread depth is reasonable enough but on all other counts I agree.

I bought them and the wider rims as I was running out of dry road grip on the 225s.

I've just bought a set of PS3's from ATS last week, that are 225/40/18 ZR 92y.
Cracking set of tyres, also they are doing 30% off at the moment and if you buy 4 you get a £50 fuel card from Michelin.
Hope that helps.

wow this sounds cool 30% off ?
is it a special promotion , local ATS is not advertising this or on website ?

cheers

Ben,

what are you going to be doing with the car & tyres. If you're intending to track day wait it out for the Pilot Super Sports, they are incredible a real balance between the hardcore R888 / A048 and road tyre. Even after some hard lapping on my RS3 the tyre corners and tread blocks are fully intact. The MPSS also work perfectly on road in the wet and even snow with quattro. I've tried many tyres and the MPSS are exceptional.

As others have said sure R888/A048 if it's just for track work - they can be a big handful on a cold, wet day.

Conti 5P are great road tyres but useless on track and quickly rubbed out by lap foolery.

Given the price and performance MPSS are my advice to make the most of the S3.

wow this sounds cool 30% off ?
is it a special promotion , local ATS is not advertising this or on website ?

cheers

it's not a local thing as far as I know, it's an offer from Michelin through ATS.
I would assume it's nationwide, that was the only reason I went there.
Might be worth popping in and ask for the offer on Michelins, thats who the fuel card comes from as well, had to send reciept away.
Hope you get sorted.

Ben,

what are you going to be doing with the car & tyres. If you're intending to track day wait it out for the Pilot Super Sports, they are incredible a real balance between the hardcore R888 / A048 and road tyre. Even after some hard lapping on my RS3 the tyre corners and tread blocks are fully intact. The MPSS also work perfectly on road in the wet and even snow with quattro. I've tried many tyres and the MPSS are exceptional.

As others have said sure R888/A048 if it's just for track work - they can be a big handful on a cold, wet day.

Conti 5P are great road tyres but useless on track and quickly rubbed out by lap foolery.

Given the price and performance MPSS are my advice to make the most of the S3.

For now it will just be road driving, as I don't currently have a budget for track days with tyres and brakes.

But lets say It sees a fair amount of hard use on country roads.

I emailed michelin today and they said they tyres will be available around September time.

But then if I wait that long, summer will be over :(

So not sure what to do.

Im not desperate for tyres, but would have liked some stickier rubber for summer, and my conti sport 3's are a bit cracked/scrubbed round the edges

Ok as it's road use Conti 5P's are great tyres, as are Bridgestone Potenza 050A's (current hot hatch lap record tyre on the Megane RS265 Trophy) - these I can tell you are great tyres from personal experience, they hook up so well with the limited slip diff, the downside is they realistically last about 9k on road miles with spirited driving.

Many also speak highly of the latest Goodyear Eagle F1's or the latest version of the P Zero though I have no direct experience of those myself.

Ok as it's road use Conti 5P's are great tyres, as are Bridgestone Potenza 050A's (current hot hatch lap record tyre on the Megane RS265 Trophy) - these I can tell you are great tyres from personal experience, they hook up so well with the limited slip diff, the downside is they realistically last about 9k on road miles with spirited driving.Many also speak highly of the latest Goodyear Eagle F1's or the latest version of the P Zero though I have no direct experience of those myself.
It's interesting seeing different people's views on the RE050s...
Personally,I hated them with a venegance,and found the grip overall was pretty limited,and wet weather grip was frankly little better than the R888s I have now,but the one thing they did have was longevity....the damn things just kept going.
Agreed on the F1's though!

For road use all the tyres previously suggested are good, preferably;

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Bridgestone Potenza S001
Michelin Pilot Sport 3

and also the Conti SportContact 5 if it's available in that dimension (didn't see it yesterday)

Here is a test of the Sport Maxx RT that we did, might help you!

It's interesting seeing different people's views on the RE050s...
Personally,I hated them with a venegance,and found the grip overall was pretty limited,and wet weather grip was frankly little better than the R888s I have now,but the one thing they did have was longevity....the damn things just kept going.
Agreed on the F1's though!

Ive gone through 4 sets of the RE050a's all on 8P's (come on new cars, or used to)

Wouldnt ever have them again if I had a choice, horrific in the wet, hard compound and therefore noisy.