Volks AutosBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zak0123

Thread: TYRE CHOICE / WHEEL ROTATION QUESTIONS

2nd Gear

Status

TYRE CHOICE / WHEEL ROTATION QUESTIONS

Hi all

Just recently taken delivery of my A3 2.0TDI sportback s-line and have some questions........

1. I see in the handbook that Audi recommends wheel / tyre rotation - I have never been a fan of this, I would be interested in member's views

2. I will need to replace the tyres in a few months time - 225 40 ZR18 - what are your recommendations taking into account
    road-noise (most important / handling / wear rate. I have always had Dunlop Sport tyres on my other cars (three Mercs) and rate them highly, but have no knowledge of Audi.

Got my tyre selection down to two tyres - after a very long and helpful conversation with Dunlop / Goodyear technical department my choices are..........

1. Goodyear Efficient Grip 225 / 40 R18 92W - this tyre is their best for road noise, but looses a little bit of steering feed back, not a problem for my style of driving. The only downside is that it doesn't have rim protection

2.Dunlop SP Sport 01 225 / 40 ZR18 92W - Slightly more noise levels, but gives better steering feed back and has rim protection

Hardly any difference in cost / tyre wear so am leaning to the Goodyear purely from the internal / external noise level issues - any thoughts ?

I anticipate an annual mileage of around 6000 - 8000 miles

Thanks in advance

Malcolm
    Malcolm

Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line Sportback

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Update.........

Just had a phone call (literally) from Goodyear technical departmemt and they have advised me that as from April this year there will be available a newer version of the tyre mentioned above, in the sizes and spec I want - It's called................

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance and it comes WITH a rim protector and due to it's compound value runs slightly quieter than the Efficient Grip
    Malcolm

CEO

Status
    In terms of the best tyres (Grip, Wear and noise), top ones i found out are Michelin Super Sport or PS3 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. If you haven't already take a look at this post here

I'm going for the Eagle F1's in a few days time, as i have read really good reviews about them and literally as i drive sensibly i have read that they could last upto 25/30k miles.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Persian View Post
    In terms of the best tyres (Grip, Wear and noise), top ones i found out are Michelin Super Sport or PS3 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. If you haven't already take a look at this post here

I'm going for the Eagle F1's in a few days time, as i have read really good reviews about them and literally as i drive sensibly i have read that they could last upto 25/30k miles.
    Thanks for the link - makes interesting reading, my main concern is to buy a set of tyres that reduce the road noise the most
    Malcolm

Neutral

Status
    needed tyres for my 1.9 and with been a bit short of cash bought 4 225/45/17 maxxis maz1
    wife is playing merry hell over the road noise

Bazinga

Status

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Persian View Post

+1

I've had the Goodyear Eagle F1's put on last week, great tyre and great price !!!!
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

2nd Gear

Status
    Had the Goodyear Efficient Grip 225/40 R18 92W on my A3 about 2 weeks now. Very pleased!
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Veneeringman View Post
    +1

I've had the Goodyear Eagle F1's put on last week, great tyre and great price !!!!
    How is the road noise - what tyres did you have on before?
    Malcolm

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak0123 View Post
    Had the Goodyear Efficient Grip 225/40 R18 92W on my A3 about 2 weeks now. Very pleased!
    These are the tyres I am leaning towards, where did you get them from - How is the road noise compared to the old tyres you have just replaced (what were they?)
    Malcolm

5th Gear

Status
    Efficient Grip's
    I've got them on my car and they seems good overall plus low wear rate and noise.
    Last edited by MrLapou; 11th April 2013 at 09:59.

5th Gear

Status
    I've got those Dunlop sport tyres on the back of mine and my god are they noisy, got my Michelin pilot sport 3's on the front and they are probably 4x quieter, no road noise what so ever.

Pilot sport 3's best tyre I've ever had, go buy them now, don't bother with the rest.

Also camskill have an offer on where you buy 2 or more 17" Michelin tyres or above and you get a £50 fuel voucher free!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    I've got those Dunlop sport tyres on the back of mine and my god are they noisy, got my Michelin pilot sport 3's on the front and they are probably 4x quieter, no road noise what so ever.

Pilot sport 3's best tyre I've ever had, go buy them now, don't bother with the rest.

Also camskill have an offer on where you buy 2 or more 17" Michelin tyres or above and you get a £50 fuel voucher free!!

Thanks for the advise
    Malcolm

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by miw615 View Post
    Thanks for the advise
    Heres a link to the page if anyone else wants to know about the offer: Michelin Tyres - Free Fuel Gift Card Promotion Offer

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by miw615 View Post
    These are the tyres I am leaning towards, where did you get them from - How is the road noise compared to the old tyres you have just replaced (what were they?)
    Got them from blackcircles.com for £485 including delivery and fitting (+ some clubcard points GET IN). Had the standard S3 Bridgestone Potenza's on before and road noise and handling is definitely better!
    miw615 likes this.
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

Neutral

Status
    Have just ordered 4xGY Eagle F1 Asy2's from here www.lovetyres.com and really pleased with price..
    --M135i AW,Manual--

5th Gear

Status
    Those 18"?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ92 View Post
    Have just ordered 4xGY Eagle F1 Asy2's from here www.lovetyres.com and really pleased with price..

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Those 18"?
    Oh yes-225/40/18..
    --M135i AW,Manual--