The Nigel NHN experience

Raincheck

Sucking diesel..!
Reaction score
Hi,

01.00 - Thursday 4th of April on my way to the Dublin port (02.15 - ferry Dublin - Holyhead )
05.30 - Arrived Holyhead and stopped by customs because I didnt pass the Radiation check (what the **** is this?) (European ports tighten safety checks for abnormal levels of radiation) should we be worried?
08.30 - Arrived at Salford where I would meet Nigel (NHN) to have the following fitted:
  • Supply/fit of latest genuine factory BT system
  • Supply/fit of mk2 rns-e satellite navigation
  • Supply/fit of radio antenna upgrade to work 100% with rns-e
  • Supply/fit of multifunction steering wheel, airbag & mfsw loom delivered
  • Supply/fit of new cloth armrest

IMG 3730IMG 3731

IMG 3726IMG 3733

IMG 3735IMG 3743

No wheelWheel

Before & after:
DashIMG 3805 DxO audi dash

Around 15.00 all was fitted and working I didn't realize that there was so much work involved!

Any one thinking about upgrading or replacing your head unit and or other mods Nigel NHN is your man.
He knows your Audi trough & trough and will be able to provide a solution for what ever you have in mind.

Thanks Nigel job well done and I am coming back for more..!

Raincheck.

Last edited:
Reactions: NHN
+1 to that, I believe straight after you, he then fit my RNS-E, totally professional service!

Nigel always has good thing said about him. LOL at picture 6 "ere, Hold this a sec"

Whats the bt kit like? does that do phone calls etc, music streaming? sorry if its a stupid question.

Aidy06,

No NHN isn't from Salford but it was the closest workshop location for me coming from Holyhead.

Ive had lots of work done by Nigel, always great service and very professional.

You can't get better than a NHN fitter! Heheh

Looks like top work again from Nigel and another very happy customer.

• Supply/fit of radio antenna upgrade to work 100% with rns-e.

Interested in what this is, thought the radio reception on my new S3 with RNS-E was pretty pants to be honest

[/LIST]
Interested in what this is, thought the radio reception on my new S3 with RNS-E was pretty pants to be honest

It's a new antenna that's fitted in the boot lid. I believe the facelift models that have had retro-fitted RNS-E need this.

It's not cheap to do though.

Mine is facelift. Jury is out on whether the RNS-E was retrofit

Have you got a shark fin on your roof?

Yes, have a shark fin. Is there any way to find factory spec from VIN like there is on a Porsche?

Sounds like it was fitted from standard.

In your service manual you will have a sticker with lots of 3 character codes. The sticker is also located in the spare wheel location.

Put the codes into this - PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

Thanks, I am getting this error on VCDS "Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier" which looks like it would be caused by the wrong type of antenna, especially according to this http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ting-symphony-ii-antenna-system-use-rnse.html

Edit: PRCode: 7Q0 = Without navigation device

So it must have been retro-fit, didn't see BOSE come up as an option. Hope it is not a case of BOSE covers on standard speakers!

Last edited:
I needed the antenna upgrade after RNSE retro.

Jonny (JMB Retrofits) sortted mine.
Parts are around £150-200 iirc.

Getting the tailgate interior trim off was fiddly without doing any damage. Needs coded after fitting antenna.
Can recommend Jonnys work if you are anywhere near the North East.

Thanks, I am getting this error on VCDS "Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier" which looks like it would be caused by the wrong type of antenna, especially according to this http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ting-symphony-ii-antenna-system-use-rnse.html

Edit: PRCode: 7Q0 = Without navigation device

So it must have been retro-fit, didn't see BOSE come up as an option. Hope it is not a case of BOSE covers on standard speakers!

Yeah probably a retro-fit. The shark fin is probably for the Bluetooth?

You should have a Bose sub behind your boot lining on the left hand side as you look in. You can take out one or two screws and pull the lining back to get your head in to see the branded Bose sub. There's probably an easier way to tell but I thought the same with mine so did this.

There is no mention of the Bluetooth on the options list either, or the AMI - looks like someone may have done a lot of retrofitting. Just hoping it is proper BOSE, else I'll have to have words with the dealer that sold it to me!!

Don't be worried about bits being retrofitted, the bits you've got are expensive. The ami alone is around £500 to get retrofitted.

I'm not worried they are retrofit - am worried they've not been done properly (like missing aerial setup on RNS-E) and not actually done (if I've got BOSE grills and not actually got BOSE!)

To be fair, most people don't bother with the antenna upgrade with rnse. It's expensive and if you don't listen to the radio much then why would you bother.

Am mostly now concerned I've been mis-sold (not knowingly) a car with BOSE and its actually a car with just BOSE speaker grills!

Get in the boot and check. It's a five min job

Reactions: elrao
Unfortunately the RNS-E doesn't say Bose when you start it.

Get in the boot and check. It's a five min job
Done - just needed 5 mins to get out to the car. Bose sub in there, so guess it is legit. However thinking the coding is off on the RNS-E, as it has the sound characteristic set to '5' (A3) - but think it needs to be 9 (Sound System) for BOSE?

Done - just needed 5 mins to get out to the car. Bose sub in there, so guess it is legit. However thinking the coding is off on the RNS-E, as it has the sound characteristic set to '5' (A3) - but think it needs to be 9 (Sound System) for BOSE?

It's possible that the Bose pin location hasn't been moved but i'm not an expert with this so someone else will need to confirm from what pin to the correct pin is right.

Bose pin hadn't been moved, so moved from pin 5 to 7 (grey wire in pin7 which I believe is one from the AUX input - I put in slot 5 as that was the only free slot available).

Have updated the coding for the navigation so it uses '9' for sound config and not 5. Also checked all the adaptation for the RNS-E, obviously came from a LHD car originally as it was set up all wrong!!

Wasn't sure whether the CAN gateway should have '47' enabled for sound system, as that is what I've got my sound settings set to?