WHAT PETROL SHALL I REALLY USE

K.A

Reaction score
To ALL the S3 OWNERS

i was just wondering, do i really have to use shell v power fuel or isit okay if i use normal unleaded fuel.....and what types of fuel are there that can be used in the 8P S3?

Thanks in advance guys and girls

i dont live near a shell garage so i just make do with the tesco 99 stuff :/ runs fine, my mate had a s3 ran it on normal tesco fuel said it didnt run as good.

It's always best to run V-power/Tesco 99, they're both as good as each other in the real world.

95 won't harm it if you need to put in half a tank say to keep you going until you can get some proper jungle juice

I have had my s3 for a few years now and have always used 99 or v power. Ran it once on half a tank on 95 and it didn't feel right

When you mean by it runs good with 98....do you mean it gives the power it states and good mpg?

Ive always been really interested in this topic myself, and I have tried to do as much research as possible on other forums and reading reviews by magazines, tuning companies etc.

In the S3 I would advise only using premium unleaded. 95 will not 'harm' the engine, but higher octane petrols can undergo higher compression without combusting and prevent against pre-ignition, nocking etc.

The fuels also have shown to give around 5% power gains over 95 octane.

The best two fuels currently would appear to be Shell V-power and Tesco momentum-99

The differences between the two have been debated, with some truth and some fabrication, but the jist seems to be

Tesco is 99 octane, but it is made up to this octane with additives including iso-propyl alcohol, bio-ethanols, iso-butyl alcohol, meaning few regard it as a 'true' 99 octane fuel.

Shell V-Power is a 'true' 98 octane petrol, but also contains specifically developed engine cleaning/protection additives, which may reduce/clean carbon build-ups etc and minimise energy wastage.

From my own experience, I put V-power in for 6 months, then last week I tried a full tank of Momentum 99, and with any mental over-exadurations, the low down torque seemed to be reduced, there was less poppy burble from the exhaust, and the car didn't seem too happy when starting and idling from cold in the morning.

So I have gone back to V-power. Also the shell points reward card gives you better money back rewards than supermarkets etc

CAn anyone list me any top fuels to be used on s3?

Cheers

NOw this is what am talking about thanks for the great info i really appreciate it. I am looking to buy a audi s3 and just collecting infos on maintaining and running the car to its best. So i don't end up paying for any weird knock and clunks.

Okay so anything thats better than the normal fuel is the one to use...i guess il just be using the shell V-Power..thanks Ben top lad

Reactions: Ben S3 8P3
CAn anyone list me any top fuels to be used on s3?

Cheers

I think it's already been done in the thread.

The two best current fuels in RON terms are Shell V-Power,and Momentum 99.

BP Ultimate 98 is a reasonable alternative if you have to.

Stay clear of supermarket 95RON if you possibly can.

The comment about Momentum 99 not being regarded as a "true" 99RON fuel is a bit of misnomer,as all fuels have additives of various sorts,including ethanol,benzene and various others,and I don't think that anyone would argue the RON equivalents of the sort of race fuels used in F1 in the 80s...much of that was nearly neat toluene.

Reactions: veeeight and K.A
any high octane fuel, I use Tesco Momentum 99 - its fine. If you use lower octane fuel the engine will see knock and will self adjust the ignition timing to prevent pre-ignition resulting in a slight loss in engine power

Reactions: K.A
I only really use Sainsburys Super Unleaded which is 97 RON and a dam site cheaper than V Power etc. My S3 has had a healthy appetite for it since new last September and it has run absolutely fine!! My only advise is whatever fuel you decide to use is to stick to it as the ECU will learn and adapt to it and you'll get constant performance and MPG.

Reactions: K.A
Just joined and catching up on some main posts regarding S3 and this was my first personal quest ...what petrol
Wasn't the answer I wanted oh well happy motoring more money to shell ..damn!!