Chris NottJMB Retrofits

Thread: S3 Tyre wear

Reverse Gear

Status

S3 Tyre wear

I was washing the S3 today and noticed the front tyres are scrubbed out on the inside edge. I was reading that camber can cause this, without knowing how much camber a S3 runs vs a standard A3, I was wondering is it normal?? or does it look like it needs a wheel alignment There is only about 3mm from the bump to the top of the wheel, so I'm guessing it's time for new tyres anyway. Is it something I could have done to prevent it? the tyres are the original potenza RE0504 with 21,000 km on them.

image-1.jpg image.jpg

Foy replacements I was thinking of getting continental sport contact 5 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, What do you guys recommend?

Cheers

Dean.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi Heaven

Status
    The bridgestones do wear their inside edges but it's normally made worse by the tyres not being ran at the correct pressures.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

4th Gear

Status
    Running conti 5s atm. Love them. Would recommend these to anyone
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

Reverse Gear

Status
    i am about to change my tyres too and was thinking sport contact 5 but there is a merc version . does any one who the diffrence ? and would the merc ones be ok on my s3 or just get the normall ones?

2nd Gear

Status
    I would get a lazer alignment done. That inside wear to the camber does not look normal
    Ice Silver Audi S3 (8P3) https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.n.long

Bazinga

Status

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ben S3 8P3 View Post
    I would get a lazer alignment done. That inside wear to the camber does not look normal
    +1

i had mine aligned yesterday and it was slightly out ! This is on a 2011 car as well. Also changed over the winter tyres to Goodyear Eagle F1 so all good now.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidhu88 View Post
    Running conti 5s atm. Love them. Would recommend these to anyone
    Ive had these on for 6k now. Very good tyre indeed, seem to handle 340bhp fine, unless really provoked ofcourse....
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Alignment is a persistent problem on Quattros.

I've had this with an A3 3.2,A4 3.0TDi Quattro,and the current S3.

Have the thing put through a 4WD alignment,and also the change to either F1 Assys or Contis should make a huge difference in handling.

Here's what mine looked like before ....

And after....

This is before the latest round of mods,and you won't get any camber adjustment on the S3 in stock form.

Status
    Makes me laugh every time you post that picture of your alignment Alex!

It must have been crabbing like a treat!

2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Makes me laugh every time you post that picture of your alignment Alex!

It must have been crabbing like a treat!

It was trying to turn corners,and honestly,you can feel that.

It's always been a problem with the Quattros,and the alignment never seems to last more than maybe 4-6 months,so I get it checked when I swap from winter to summer setups on the car.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    i am about to change my tyres too and was thinking sport contact 5 but there is a merc version . does any one who the diffrence ? and would the merc ones be ok on my s3 or just get the normall ones?
    Im running the MO's on mine, i researched into it and theres no difference at all. Its just a way of getting owners of particular brands of cars to buy particular tyres which may be more expensive because theyre supposedly for one make of vehicle. Weirdly the MO's were cheaper than the normal conti5s and AO conti5s. Ive had no problems with mine whatsoever. It does say MO in quite small letters on the tyre wall tho so just bare that in mind
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidhu88 View Post
    Im running the MO's on mine, i researched into it and theres no difference at all. Its just a way of getting owners of particular brands of cars to buy particular tyres which may be more expensive because theyre supposedly for one make of vehicle. Weirdly the MO's were cheaper than the normal conti5s and AO conti5s. Ive had no problems with mine whatsoever. It does say MO in quite small letters on the tyre wall tho so just bare that in mind
    Mine also MO, but you can get the Audi ones fairly easily as it turns out, i was just impatient.

People will no doubt start saying these can cause insurance issues in an event of a crash etc, and to be fair, it may!

But hell, if they start crying about it, then 'Sir Conti himself'will have a phone call asking for the actual difference between the 2.

His reply will no doubt be, one has MO on it. that's it.

3rd Gear

Status
    Had the same issues on my A3 TDI & My S3.
    Once the tyres get REALLY worn they were consistant with the tyre in the first post. My A3 tdi was lowered & re-aligned & the S3 had alignment done but still wore the tyres out in that manner on the front & backs.

2nd Gear

Status
    CSC3 on my S3 have worn in the same way on the fronts.
    Probably about 20k kms, the front in side edges are down to the wear indicators.

Mine are also 'MO'.

I'll most likely be replacing with CSC5 when I change up shortly.
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

BUILD THREAD