Falken FK453 vs. Kumho KU39

Lee540

Reaction score
Any thoughts?

I'm not in a financial position to replace the PS3's for another set of PS3's.. max. budget is £400 for the complete set which are due for replacing now.

Falkens are coming in at £408 fitted at my local trusted tyre centre and Kumho's are about the same..

They are going on my TDi 170.

Cheers

Lee

Good Year Eagle F1 Asy 2 should be very close to your budget.

£126 a corner for those.. I asked for those and PS3's first..

If I only needed two tyres it wouldn't be an issue but down to 1mm on rear and 2mm on fronts.. so need all 4

I'm sure I could find those as a set of 4 for £470 as well.. but still £70 more than I am willing to pay.

I'm sure I could find those as a set of 4 for £470 as well.. but still £70 more than I am willing to pay.
\

But they will last that extra 70quid believe me Falkens are fairly soft compound and on my previous car they worn out in less than 10k. However I like to drive quite hard but after having had F1 A2 for over 4 months and 4ks they look like new no significant wear on them which is amazing not to mention superior grip dry & wet.

Have a look at Avon ZZ3's. Have them fitted to my S3 and have had no probs with them whatsoever. Camskill have them on offer just now for £68 per corner. I know Ash bought a set off my recommendation and he loves em.

Mine have been on for approx 10 months (10k miles) and the car has just been serviced and I have 5mm of tread all round. I know people rant on about never buy middle of the road tyres but I have tried Contis and other op brands....IMO the Avons are far better and half the price. If you want better Avons go for the ZZ5 which is the newer version.

I have only read good reviews about the 453 so it seems like they have improved the previous 452 which is what I have been using on the BMW for a couple of years. The the only downside I have come across is the lifespan, you won't see more than 15k out of them. From looking at Camskill it seems like the prices have gone up, £170 for a rear set so I might look at alternatives.

Used ZZ3s many moons ago on a Civic Type R and they were spot on.

Brodster, how long did your ZZ3's last? Has anyone ran the Avon ZZ5 tires and got any opinions on them? I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP.

Brodster, how long did your ZZ3's last? Has anyone ran the Avon ZZ5 tires and got any opinions on them? I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP.

My 19" ZZ3's are still fitted mate.....as I said it was serviced yesterday and the Audi garage measured the tread depth @ 5mm all round and theyve been on for 10k miles.

Well..

Went completely different direction.. my tyre place had ordered in a set of Bridgestone RE050A for a customer who didn't turn up and I could have them for the same price at the Falken.. so I did.

:)

I always had 452s then 453s on my golf (6 years worth) and thought they were spot on. Had falken ziex on my s3 when I got it. Absolute pants!

I always had 452s then 453s on my golf (6 years worth) and thought they were spot on. Had falken ziex on my s3 when I got it. Absolute pants!

See that's oposite to what i have found, odd isn't it.

The ziex are the premium model/make/brand in the range

That's good to hear. My local tyre place suggests I fit a set of these to replace my Avon winters, but they don't do 18's in a Y speed rating and I'm basically sold on a set of Avons anyway (cheers Brodster and Ash:laugh:).

See that's oposite to what i have found, odd isn't it.

The ziex are the premium model/make/brand in the range

To elaborate on pants... They are pants in the snow, like slicks. So they've recently really annoyed me. I think I'm getting some road noise/wurring from the back ones at about 80mph too. My confidence in them is a bit knocked. Other than that they're ok but won't be getting falkens again. Prob contis next.

Id say uniroyal rs2 as well. Ran those for 4 years on a golf gti and they were very good but settled on the goodyear f1 a2 which as said is worth the extra. Amazing tyre!

There was a mix up with suppliers so my car is now fitted with Bridgestone Potenza S001 at no additional cost.. same price as FK453's..

There was a mix up with suppliers so my car is now fitted with Bridgestone Potenza S001 at no additional cost.. same price as FK453's..

Waw! Lucky, very lucky! Could do with some of that luck coming my way.

I'm having a hard look at the ZZ3's or the Uniroyal's for my fronts next month off the back of the recommendations here, cheers gents.

Falks 453 on my s3 half a year now, good grip dry n wet. Still a lot of tread but I seen many people say they are softer quality but almost half price as f1s(in some places) etc and not much difference in performance (as can relate to because I bought car 2nd hand with f1s had to change tyres as some how 2 ended up with screws perfectly in middle of them hmmm) wanted 452s but were discontinued :(

I can't fault the Bridgestones.. very happy with them

Fitted two Good Year Eagle F1 Asy 2 R17/225/45 for £193 minus £4 cashback minus nearly 600 Tesco clubcard points.