AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

Falken FK453 vs. Kumho KU39

Any thoughts?

I'm not in a financial position to replace the PS3's for another set of PS3's.. max. budget is £400 for the complete set which are due for replacing now.

Falkens are coming in at £408 fitted at my local trusted tyre centre and Kumho's are about the same..

They are going on my TDi 170.

Cheers

Lee

2. # ADS
    ADS

Enthusiast

Status
    Good Year Eagle F1 Asy 2 should be very close to your budget.
    VCDS USER

1st Gear

Status
    £126 a corner for those.. I asked for those and PS3's first..

1st Gear

Status
    If I only needed two tyres it wouldn't be an issue but down to 1mm on rear and 2mm on fronts.. so need all 4

5th Gear

Status
    I HAD 4 f1 a2 fitted for 470
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

1st Gear

Status
    I'm sure I could find those as a set of 4 for £470 as well.. but still £70 more than I am willing to pay.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee540 View Post
    I'm sure I could find those as a set of 4 for £470 as well.. but still £70 more than I am willing to pay.
    \

But they will last that extra 70quid believe me Falkens are fairly soft compound and on my previous car they worn out in less than 10k. However I like to drive quite hard but after having had F1 A2 for over 4 months and 4ks they look like new no significant wear on them which is amazing not to mention superior grip dry & wet.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Have a look at Avon ZZ3's. Have them fitted to my S3 and have had no probs with them whatsoever. Camskill have them on offer just now for £68 per corner. I know Ash bought a set off my recommendation and he loves em.

Mine have been on for approx 10 months (10k miles) and the car has just been serviced and I have 5mm of tread all round. I know people rant on about never buy middle of the road tyres but I have tried Contis and other op brands....IMO the Avons are far better and half the price. If you want better Avons go for the ZZ5 which is the newer version.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have only read good reviews about the 453 so it seems like they have improved the previous 452 which is what I have been using on the BMW for a couple of years. The the only downside I have come across is the lifespan, you won't see more than 15k out of them. From looking at Camskill it seems like the prices have gone up, £170 for a rear set so I might look at alternatives.
    A3 2.0T Quattro S Line - BMW 320Cd M Sport

S3 (8P)

Status
    Used ZZ3s many moons ago on a Civic Type R and they were spot on.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Tay
    2nd Gear

Status
    Brodster, how long did your ZZ3's last? Has anyone ran the Avon ZZ5 tires and got any opinions on them? I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Tay View Post
    Brodster, how long did your ZZ3's last? Has anyone ran the Avon ZZ5 tires and got any opinions on them? I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP.
    My 19" ZZ3's are still fitted mate.....as I said it was serviced yesterday and the Audi garage measured the tread depth @ 5mm all round and theyve been on for 10k miles.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

1st Gear

Status
    Well..

Went completely different direction.. my tyre place had ordered in a set of Bridgestone RE050A for a customer who didn't turn up and I could have them for the same price at the Falken.. so I did.

1st Gear

Status
    I always had 452s then 453s on my golf (6 years worth) and thought they were spot on. Had falken ziex on my s3 when I got it. Absolute pants!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by _Zerocool_ View Post
    I always had 452s then 453s on my golf (6 years worth) and thought they were spot on. Had falken ziex on my s3 when I got it. Absolute pants!
    See that's oposite to what i have found, odd isn't it.

The ziex are the premium model/make/brand in the range

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by _Zerocool_ View Post
    That's good to hear. My local tyre place suggests I fit a set of these to replace my Avon winters, but they don't do 18's in a Y speed rating and I'm basically sold on a set of Avons anyway (cheers Brodster and Ash).
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    See that's oposite to what i have found, odd isn't it.

The ziex are the premium model/make/brand in the range
    To elaborate on pants... They are pants in the snow, like slicks. So they've recently really annoyed me. I think I'm getting some road noise/wurring from the back ones at about 80mph too. My confidence in them is a bit knocked. Other than that they're ok but won't be getting falkens again. Prob contis next.

3rd Gear

Status
    What about :
    Uniroyal Tyres / Car / Uniroyal RainSport2 Uniroyal RainSport 2 - Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40R18

all i have heard is good reports from people on the vag scene and plenty on the jap scene with Evo's etc

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

Neutral

Status
    I know plenty of guys on BMW forum running KU39s on track days, 452s were better than the 453s imo.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spixel View Post
    I know plenty of guys on BMW forum running KU39s on track days, 452s were better than the 453s imo.

_G_
    4th Gear

Status
    Id say uniroyal rs2 as well. Ran those for 4 years on a golf gti and they were very good but settled on the goodyear f1 a2 which as said is worth the extra. Amazing tyre!

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil76 View Post
    What about :
    Uniroyal Tyres / Car / Uniroyal RainSport2 Uniroyal RainSport 2 - Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40R18

all i have heard is good reports from people on the vag scene and plenty on the jap scene with Evo's etc
    Like _G_ I ran a set of these on a GTI and I couldn't fault them one bit. I had a bit of stretch going on at the rear with 225/40/18's on a 9J rim without any issues.
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

1st Gear

Status
    There was a mix up with suppliers so my car is now fitted with Bridgestone Potenza S001 at no additional cost.. same price as FK453's..

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee540 View Post
    There was a mix up with suppliers so my car is now fitted with Bridgestone Potenza S001 at no additional cost.. same price as FK453's..
    Waw! Lucky, very lucky! Could do with some of that luck coming my way.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm having a hard look at the ZZ3's or the Uniroyal's for my fronts next month off the back of the recommendations here, cheers gents.

2nd Gear

Status
    Falks 453 on my s3 half a year now, good grip dry n wet. Still a lot of tread but I seen many people say they are softer quality but almost half price as f1s(in some places) etc and not much difference in performance (as can relate to because I bought car 2nd hand with f1s had to change tyres as some how 2 ended up with screws perfectly in middle of them hmmm) wanted 452s but were discontinued

1st Gear

Status
    I can't fault the Bridgestones.. very happy with them

Enthusiast

Status
    Fitted two Good Year Eagle F1 Asy 2 R17/225/45 for £193 minus £4 cashback minus nearly 600 Tesco clubcard points.
    VCDS USER