Desperate times; car unusable :(

mookster

Reaction score
Website
skewer.co.uk
Got an issue with car at present - 54 plate 3.2 quattro 3 door manual. Was driving home the other evening and when I got to a roundabout near home and was slowing to filter into traffic the ESP warning light came on, stayed on, and the car stalled. Managed to limp it home the last few hundred yards but it wouldn't idle at all.

Tried it a few more times since and same thing every time, the ESP light wont go out and the car wont idle at all. When I give it some throttle to try and keep it going it's very intermitent and usually just stalls after a while.

I tried pulling the ESP fuse but that made no difference, other than flagging a brake problem aswell.

I've not got access to VCDS so can't pull off any codes at present, and not in a position to drive the car anywhere for diagnosis. The ABS light doesn't come on so I don't think it's an ABS sensor, wondering what other controllers/sensors it may be. Has anyone had anything similar occur and have any ideas what I need to do. I'm guessing for a start I'm going to have to get it towed to my nearest dealer :unsure:

Any advice, tips, ways to get round it so I can actually drive the car somewhere, etc. would be appreciated - it's a bit too cold and windy to be going everywhere on my pushbike :blush:

​Have a look on the vcds map and see if someone is close to you and could do a scan for you. :) x

Have a look at VCDS members map. Someone near you might be willing to help.

Big thanks to chris.vincent3 today who popped up to take a look at the motor.

On first scan there were some old MAF sensor errors aswell as the following;

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-A.lbl
Part No: 1K0 907 379 E
Component: ESP ALLRAD MK60 0104
Coding: 0021128
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 346159C75732E3B8F54

1 Fault Found:
00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
008 - Implausible Signal

We tried clearing it and it did go away, but after a drive round the block it came back. This time however the problem of stalling didn't come back. Wondering whether the old MAF errors together with the above had caused the stalling. The MAF errors didn't come back after clearing so they look okay.

Anyhow, we did an ABS test and that ran through clean so it doesn't look like as problem with the ABS itself, just part of the ESP set-up. Despite the above error coming back, the ESP warning symbol didn't light up again, so at least that it something.

Next plan of action it to get it in the air, whip off the wheels and give everything a good clean, hopefully it's nothing more than a bad connection.

Has anyone else suffered from the above error?

Big thanks to chris.vincent3 today who popped up to take a look at the motor.

On first scan there were some old MAF sensor errors aswell as the following;

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-A.lbl
Part No: 1K0 907 379 E
Component: ESP ALLRAD MK60 0104
Coding: 0021128
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 346159C75732E3B8F54

1 Fault Found:
00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
008 - Implausible Signal

We tried clearing it and it did go away, but after a drive round the block it came back. This time however the problem of stalling didn't come back. Wondering whether the old MAF errors together with the above had caused the stalling. The MAF errors didn't come back after clearing so they look okay.

Anyhow, we did an ABS test and that ran through clean so it doesn't look like as problem with the ABS itself, just part of the ESP set-up. Despite the above error coming back, the ESP warning symbol didn't light up again, so at least that it something.

Next plan of action it to get it in the air, whip off the wheels and give everything a good clean, hopefully it's nothing more than a bad connection.

Has anyone else suffered from the above error?

Could it just be your maf that's faulty my 3.2 threw up the abs/ ESP fault when I disconnected it to see I my car would idle better however I did not have vcds at the time .

I am going to give the MAF a decent clean while I'm at it too. Thing was the MAF errors were very old and went away after being cleared without coming back, whereas the ABS error came back. Still, wont hurt to clean it up while I'm at it :)

sometimes after clearing a maf code they come back after a good few miles
the problem you was haveing sounds like a bad maf

Your welcome mate!

If you have no luck with cleaning connectors then it looks like it could be the MAF itself, if its anything like previous cars I've owned with MAF problems they deteriorate over time so could be the start of what your experiencing.

I replaced the MAF on mine. It was £90 odd. A Bosch one. They took my old one in that px thing they do.

TBH if it had maf errors it maybe time for a new, can only help, they don't recommend cleaning them tbh as it has been known to affect the readings.