Replaced coolant header tank, Coolant Warning still displaying on DIS

dk1234

Reaction score
I've been getting a coolant warning on my DIS for a while, I thought that the problem was the sensors located inside the coolant bottle (coolant level sensor). I bought a new coolant bottle and replaced the old one today, I topped up the coolant and went above the max mark by accident, thinking that it was going to go down. After replacing the coolant tank I started the car up and straight away I heard the beeps and the "Coolant" warning message flashing on the DIS, the temperature stays on zero on the temperature gauge, and the fan in the front with the engine near the radiator comes on at full blast. I drove the car just round the block to see if it might settle, but it hasn't yet.

So, the sensors in the coolant tank wasn't causing the problem what else could it be?

I spent most of the day trying to research another problem and this and have came up with it could maybe be the "Coolant Temperature Sensor" (CTS) or maybe the Thermostat, these are guesses though. anyone have an idea of what one is more likely to be the cause of the problem?

I also have another problem that I don't know if it's related or not, but is to do with my demister and fans are not working either. Do you think the problems could be related or are likely to be seperate?
Thanks for any help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I just thought I'll add a link to the other thread I made about my other problem incase anybody wants more info about that or can help with that problem. thanks

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...49-front-windscreen-demister-not-working.html

I had same problem after water pump change.

Took it straight back to Audi and was told that this is a common problem and they put a £13 cap on it along with a new min/max sticker higher up the tank lol. Now there is more coolant in there it no longer comes on.

I had same problem a few weeks back, on cold start up I kept getting the coolant flashing up on dis and I had no leaks an the coolant level was between the min and max, so I remembered someone saying on a previous thread that lightly scrapping a screw driver up and down the two metal prongs inside the coolant tank sometimes works, so I tried that first and it worked no more flashing up on dis. Give it a try it might work for you.

Thanks for the replies. Turbo Jay I tried that with my old coolant tank, but I just replaced it yesterday with a new one that I bought from Audi so I don't think that will cure the problem for me unfortunetly :(

before I replaced the coolant tank I noticed that my coolant had gone down from before, there may be a leak as I noticed a small puddle under my car earlier today.

I need a full service does anyone think that a serive might sort out the coolant warning problem? if I have a leak I guess that#s sort of seperate, but do you guys know how much a garage will charge to pressure test the coolant system for leaks? The thing is I aint got a regular garage that I go to

DK, best thing you can do right now is to look carefully around the radiator, particularly in the corners. Also check all of the coolant pipes and clamps. For the Coolant error messages, suggest you ask around for a forum member who could scan with VCDS and see what comes up. With the fans coming on at full blast, it may well indicate a temp sensor failure, and if so it can be fixed easily. Not likely to be a thermostat problem. Good luck.

I bought a coolant temperature sensor for £8 and may have a go at fitting it in.(just time, as I got couple of assignments in for next week) . Hopefully the engine cover won't be too hard to take off. Think I just need to disconnect a few things first and then pull it up.

Where's the best place to ask about if a member can help me with a scan with there the VCDS as I imagine I will have a few codes/errors.

Would my car beable to pass an MOT with the "coolant" warning coming up? OI read something about if warning lights are on you can fail the MOT. Will it effect the emissions test?

Hi guys, I still have the problem

before I took it for MOT I filled up the coolant and the "coolant warning" message didn't come up, I mentioned that I thought I might have a coolant leak they said that they would have a look. They called me to say it was the water flange & seals for it that needed replacing, cost £75 and I got a few other things done coming up to £270 altogether.

The coolant don't seem to be leaking anymore, however I'm still getting the "Coolant Warning" on the DIS. Somtimes it will go away when I turn the car off and on again and work as normal with the temperture gauge going to 90. Does anybody know how many CTS there are in my car? 2.0 fsi 54 plate. I've read that there are 2 in some A3's and 1 in some. I've looked at some guides but for the A3's with 2 CTS locations and mainly showing the one on the right hand side of the engine (if standing in front of the car) mine don't seem to have that one, so I'm think my car might have one CTS which I've read is somewhere at the back of the engine.

Anyone got any guides or pics of how to get to the CTS that is at the back of the engine and apparently somewhere around the top left. Does anything need to be removed and is it an easy or hard job to do?

I've been getting the coolant warning light come up on every clod start for the last few weeks despite the level looking fine.

One more thing that might be more serious is it seems to take 20-25 minutes to get up 90 degrees which it never seemed to do before

I can run a VCDS, anything to check or look out for?

cheers

Ok, I think I have found where the CTS is, not 100% sure but I think it is it. Standing in front of the engine facing the car. I put my phone down the gap between the engine and the battery and filmed it, alot of pipes and stuff are in the way. I took some screen shots from the video that I recorded. I'm not sure if I would be able to do it without moving anything as it's quite tight / to get my one hand down there. Do you think it's possible to do it without removing anything?

I was thinking maybe the battery and the battery holder could be removed and that should give me loads more space, but are there drawbacks with this? I can imagine that I will atleast need the code for my radio? anything else? Is the battery holder easy to remove, I know the battery will be straight forward not sure about the holder (if I even need to remove them).

These pics are from near the back of the engine bay, facing towards the right hand side of the engine.

ctspicture4.jpg

ctspicture3.jpg

ctspicture2.jpg

ctspicture1.jpg

Attachments

• CTSpicture4.jpg
    CTSpicture4.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 513
I'm hoping to attempt this today or tomorrow, I would appreciate some feedback or any tips you guys can give.

what car/engine do you have?
On mine i can take the airbox out of the way and move the battery cover to gain lots of access to the area above the gearbox

Reactions: dk1234
I've got a 2.0 fsi 54 plate. Here's a pic of my engine, is the airbox that big box in front of the battery?

img20130414153219.jpg

Thanks, Sorry to ask this but how do you remove it? is there any guides? I've looked in the Haynes manual and I can't find anything by the name of air box. I can see that they have labeled it as "air cleaner housing" in section 1A.4 of the manual but I cannot find any instructions of how it is dismantled.

on mine i have a few screws that need to be undone to get to the air filter, then there are some more screws and rubber bungs under the filter that are holding the box in place which when yanked upwards lets the box come out. you also have to move the pipe out the way but that is apparent when you get there.

spend 3 minutes looking at the box and you will figure out how to get it out

I just went and got the proper CTS from Audi rather then risk the ebay one I bought.

Can I take the battery holder/case out, whilst leaving the air filter box untouched? I had a look and it sort of looks like the bottom of the battery holder goes underneath the air filter box.

I think taking out the air filer box won't get me to the location that I want but taking out the battery and the battery holder/case should do.

How long can my battery be deconnected before it loses it's memory?

will be much easier to take airbox off. I did a diy for the 2.0T a few months back. try searching for it

Cheers, thanks for the help I'll do that.

I've been doing some more research and now I'm starting to get worried about if that is the coolant temperature sensor or if it's something else.

i found this information from a ElsaWin guide for the CTS for my car 2.0 fsi.

Coolant temperature sender -G62-
The coolant temperature sender -G62- is located at the coolant connection on the cylinder head (left-side).
–Carefully unlock and unplug 2-pin connector -arrow-.

tapatalk1369139139397.jpg

The pictures that I took a few posts above are from the right hand side of the engine if you are facing the car (pics taken from between the engine and car battery). The bit I bolded above and the picture confuses me and makes me think that maybe I'm going after the wrong thing, maybe that thing I took a picture off is a sensor for somthing else, any ideas? If it's not the sensor than I won't bother wasting my time taking of the air box and battery holder only to find out it's the wrong thing.

Do you think that diagram and my pictures match up ? I really want to get this sorted but I want to know how to di it myself incase it ever happens again.