Remap ?? Help please

tanjawi

Reaction score
Hello

so you guys declare remap to insurance ??
Audi a3 t fsi sportback

and does insurance can find out and what happen if you have an accident
also about alloys do you have to tell the insurance

thanks in advance

Technically you should tell your insurance company, but...............most don't!

As said you should, alloys too if they're not standard.

With a remap you can justify it by saying its just software, can't be detected etc.

Big boys game, big boys rules. If you are found to have it undeclared be prepared for invalidated insurance. There are plenty of good companies (check out some forum sponsors) who will insure remaps for relatively small amounts. Worth it for peace of mind

You should declare all mods. It's foolish not too. If you can't afford the premium increase then don't do it.

If you kill a child and you need your legal expenses cover then imagine how you would feel when they wriggle out and you aren't covered?

Being up front and declaring the modifications is the right choice. You might be surprised many insurers are remap friendly and the premium increases are modest. You will have peace of mind that you are covered should the worst happen.

Remaps are quite easy to detect if you know where to look on the ecu and I'd imagine most insurance assessors are well aware of this. Don't risk your whole car, or more, for the sake of a few ££ extra insurance cost would be my advice.

Declare all mods, including decals and even what you think is the slightest mod.

go with a mod freindly insurance company like greenlight and it won't cost all that much more.

Lol I pay already 1270£ a year
im new driver in the uk as I hold mortician driving license for 11 years
Even the alloys you have to declare ?

Not declaring mods has landed quite a few folks in a bit of a pickle.. when I say pickle I mean £x million in damages that the insurance company fought for and won.. They lost everthing including their house.

So it may make sense to ensure you are properly covered.

Last edited:
Alloys wheel need to be declared as well ???
and what I'd the remap just for the fuel !???

With a remap you can justify it by saying its just software, can't be detected etc.

Right I keep repeating this statement over and over again to the point where the majority should know by now that remaps are definately detectable. There are many tuning companies online who state that their remaps are "undetectable" and this simply isn't true. While it may not be physically apparent it is relatively easy to find out by comparing the contents of the ECU with a standard one, by verifying the checksum (a value calculated against the contents of the ECU), and by taking the vehicle for a test drive and taking some logs of the data provided by the ECU. Remapping is NOT undetectable, and don't let anyone tell you different.

Reactions: NKenny
Right I keep repeating this statement over and over again to the point where the majority should know by now that remaps are definately detectable. There are many tuning companies online who state that their remaps are "undetectable" and this simply isn't true. While it may not be physically apparent it is relatively easy to find out by comparing the contents of the ECU with a standard one, by verifying the checksum (a value calculated against the contents of the ECU), and by taking the vehicle for a test drive and taking some logs of the data provided by the ECU. Remapping is NOT undetectable, and don't let anyone tell you different.

^^^THIS^^^ with bells on.

The forensic investigators I have seen in action simply compare the memory "bit by bit" of the production ECU to what is on the "suspect" car.. took 30 mins IIRC.

Thanks for clarifying that, I was obviously unclear with my statement. I know its not undetectable but there are those who believe it is, my point of declaring it is still valid