Monster MotorsportBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brodster

Thread: Remap ?? Help please

Neutral

Status

Remap ?? Help please

Hello

so you guys declare remap to insurance ??
    Audi a3 t fsi sportback

and does insurance can find out and what happen if you have an accident
    also about alloys do you have to tell the insurance

thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Technically you should tell your insurance company, but...............most don't!

Bird is the Word!

Status

Re: Remap ?? Help please

As said you should, alloys too if they're not standard.

With a remap you can justify it by saying its just software, can't be detected etc.

Big boys game, big boys rules. If you are found to have it undeclared be prepared for invalidated insurance. There are plenty of good companies (check out some forum sponsors) who will insure remaps for relatively small amounts. Worth it for peace of mind
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit

2nd Gear

Status
    No i havent

5th Gear

Status
    You should declare all mods. It's foolish not too. If you can't afford the premium increase then don't do it.

If you kill a child and you need your legal expenses cover then imagine how you would feel when they wriggle out and you aren't covered?

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    Being up front and declaring the modifications is the right choice. You might be surprised many insurers are remap friendly and the premium increases are modest. You will have peace of mind that you are covered should the worst happen.

Remaps are quite easy to detect if you know where to look on the ecu and I'd imagine most insurance assessors are well aware of this. Don't risk your whole car, or more, for the sake of a few ££ extra insurance cost would be my advice.

V8 - only sound a man needs

Status
    Declare all mods, including decals and even what you think is the slightest mod.

go with a mod freindly insurance company like greenlight and it won't cost all that much more.

Neutral

Status
    Lol I pay already 1270£ a year
    im new driver in the uk as I hold mortician driving license for 11 years
    Even the alloys you have to declare ?

1st Gear

Status
    Not declaring mods has landed quite a few folks in a bit of a pickle.. when I say pickle I mean £x million in damages that the insurance company fought for and won.. They lost everthing including their house.

So it may make sense to ensure you are properly covered.
    Last edited by box500; 29th March 2013 at 21:25.

Neutral

Status
    Alloys wheel need to be declared as well ???
    and what I'd the remap just for the fuel !???

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tanjawi View Post
    Alloys wheel need to be declared as well ???
    and what I'd the remap just for the fuel !???
    Any modification has to be declared..

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    With a remap you can justify it by saying its just software, can't be detected etc.
    Right I keep repeating this statement over and over again to the point where the majority should know by now that remaps are definately detectable. There are many tuning companies online who state that their remaps are "undetectable" and this simply isn't true. While it may not be physically apparent it is relatively easy to find out by comparing the contents of the ECU with a standard one, by verifying the checksum (a value calculated against the contents of the ECU), and by taking the vehicle for a test drive and taking some logs of the data provided by the ECU. Remapping is NOT undetectable, and don't let anyone tell you different.
    NKenny likes this.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Right I keep repeating this statement over and over again to the point where the majority should know by now that remaps are definately detectable. There are many tuning companies online who state that their remaps are "undetectable" and this simply isn't true. While it may not be physically apparent it is relatively easy to find out by comparing the contents of the ECU with a standard one, by verifying the checksum (a value calculated against the contents of the ECU), and by taking the vehicle for a test drive and taking some logs of the data provided by the ECU. Remapping is NOT undetectable, and don't let anyone tell you different.

^^^THIS^^^ with bells on.

The forensic investigators I have seen in action simply compare the memory "bit by bit" of the production ECU to what is on the "suspect" car.. took 30 mins IIRC.

Bird is the Word!

Status

Re: Remap ?? Help please

Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that, I was obviously unclear with my statement. I know its not undetectable but there are those who believe it is, my point of declaring it is still valid
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit