s3 vs evo x

SparkyMcA

Reaction score
how would a remapped s3 compare to a evo x 360 or even 300 was looking thru there forums and were basically saying theres no way an s3 beats an evo x few guys had s3 and said the same when moved on to evo, what do use think?

cheers

Depends on the spec of the evo and the spec of the S3! The evo will be quicker through the bends due to better 4wd system and yaw control, etc, but a stage 2+ S3 will eat up a 300 off the lights.

I know which car i would rather have and live with, i also know which brand of car my misses prefers!! Ha ha :)

A Remapped S3 would have a 300 like sweets from a baby.

Now the 360 on the other hand would need quite a large amount of power from the S3, Probably in the 330 - 40 region.

As above, S3 is the better all rounder... Not made out of plastic, nor council estate material.

Reactions: whale
I've come from an Evo background. Fantastic cars!! As much as I like the S3, it's never going to be in the same league as an Evo in terms of outright performance, but then an Evo is fundamentally I bean can on wheels so has zero to little comfort.

That Evo 7 Looks like an RS which is only 260 odd break which explains the incredibly even match up...

Guys .... I'm a massive s3 fan but against an evo x ! They are lighter, faster, better 4wd, better handling and are awesome to chuck around. A seriously modded s3 running stage 2+ maybe a s tronic variant would stand a chance in a drag or straight line .

I would never own a evo x over an s3 but performance wise there is no competition as standard vehicles go.

Sean

Reactions: aar007
Ive just came from an evo 5, and just recentley bought my s3, as much as i like the s3, its a totally different car to the evo, i can use the s3 everyday where as i wouldnt want to use the evo everyday, the s3 isnt slow but its not evo fast, i'd say its about standard evo 7/8/9 performance, the 4/5/6's will be quicker due to less weight, the evo is alot better in the corners and provides lots of confidence, in the s3 i dont feel as confident in the corners, the evo is so easily tuned mine was 425 and still on the standard engine, i can comment on a tuned s3 as i have no experience of them, Yet :)

That Evo 7 Looks like an RS which is only 260 odd break which explains the incredibly even match up...

Even the rs evo's came with the same power (276bhp) that 7 isnt an rs as its got colour coded door mirror and handles, and if it was an rs the light weight of the rs version would of helped against the s3 and pulled away,

the evo with 260bhp was an evo 8 and had a tiny spoiler on the boot as opposed to the usual big wing style,

Reactions: aar007
Its a matter of comparing like with like.

If you match the cars on weight and bhp,they will run similarly,although I would expect the Evo to have some advantages from its different 4WD system.

Guys
I currently have a 9 360 MR and like phil sparky as said they really are a great car. I hardly use mine as I dont like using it for knocking about thats why I am thinking of getting shut for a S3. I had one about 4 years ago and the S3 really is a great all rounder.

Phil sparky I think i recognise your name from the MLR

Anyone interested in a mint evo with low miles?????

I'm also an ex Evo IX MR FQ360 owner, this one to be precise:

IMG_3428.jpg

I think the standard Evo X vs the S3 would be quite a close battle:

Evo X 300 189 bhp/ton (300bhp/1560kg, 0-60 4.7s), S3 181 bhp/ton (1455kg/261bhp, 0-62 5.6s) according to evo magazine figures.

If this was an S3 S-tronic vs a manual Evo X the S3 would likely be much closer. I say this because the S-tronic box works some serious magic. My MR360 (266bhp/ton standard, official 0-60 3.9s, 290bhp/ton modified) was tuned to 400bhp and I still only ever saw best 0-60 launch of a 4.1s and 0-100 in 10.1s. The manual Evo needs almost perfect conditions and brutal lack of clutch life regard to achieve its optimum launch. Contrast this with the RS3 which official stats say 0-62 in 4.6s yet on the same stretch of road and Performance Box that measured the Evo's stats it's best 0-60 is 4.1s and 0-100 in 9.9s. The RS3 can do this consistently all day long via launch control. A stage II+ S-tronic S3 running similar 340ish BHP to the RS3 should therefore be a match for the manual Evo 360.

Oh and by the way I'm not claiming superiority for either car, I've loved owning both. The Evo for all it's raw fire breathing oversteer biased AWD madness (despite the image and appetite for super plus and new A048 tyres every 3000 miles), the RS3 for it's understated image, utter grip and go (despite the somewhat negative press reviews!). The Evo X disappointed me and I didn't buy one as a result. Horses for courses and all that, as an ownership proposition I'd take the S3.

Work with both cars, and from a performance point of view, the Evo is much much quicker than the average S3. But, for a daily drive, the S3 is much much nicer.

If you want to compete on straight line speed to an Evo, you need an S4 really.

Rick

Work with both cars, and from a performance point of view, the Evo is much much quicker than the average S3. But, for a daily drive, the S3 is much much nicer.

If you want to compete on straight line speed to an Evo, you need an S4 really.

Rick

On a humorous note....you don't need an S4......you need my S3!

Seriously though ,you're right,and an average S3 is too heavy and too soft.

MBk
What number was yours???? Mine is 164 and it's identical to that. Nice cars
How do you find servicing/running costs compared to the evo???