Is my MPG display accurate?!

Graham89

Derv Perv
Reaction score
After a recent trip to Belgium on Sunday i ended up driving back to Calais at 62mph cruise control the whole way.

I flicked through the computer to see I was averaging 65 mpg. I know it's good on fuel but really? Doesn't sound right to me.
This was not the instant one either.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364548405490738
Car is 2.0 TDI 140k miles. BKD

Brim it, reset the mileage, drive around until you need to refill, note the miles covered, refill and note the amount you put in - then you can work out your real mpg.

Trip computers are usually in the ball park but none of us will be able to tell you if it's right or not.

The calculated method stated is more realistic. You only need to do a few tanks worth comparing each with the fuel computer to get the idea. On the six VAG cars I've had, the computer has always read higher by up to 5mpg in the 50 to 60mpg region.

You should also use computer 2, not 1 for comparing with the calculated method.

Do you know how many miles you actually (eg from maps, google earth) travelled? If you compare with your trip computer, you may find the reading is higher than actual. Its common for the odometer/trip to read slightly higher than reality resulting in higher indicated mpg and likewise speed. My daily round trip to work appears to be nearly one mile shorter in my current car compared to the previous (both VAG).