Window Tinting - Is this a modification on the insurance?

MattyW19

Reaction score
Hi

I've recently changed my insurance provider, and i've just had an email through saying that the car's windows are tinted - They want to add another £200 onto the premium.

They were actually done in the factory at Audi, does this still class them as a modification on the insurance?

i think its still classed as a mod even from factory
but someone with more in the know will be along to answer.
or call the insurance and tell them there factory fitted.

Just say thats how you bought it they cant do anything about it same with rims say thats how you bought it, my uncle crashed his car and the insurance said its not written in the spec with 20" wheels he just said thats how i bought it and they were fine with it most insurers are i guess but £200 extra is a bit too much on insurance

That's some good info tdi
Insurance dont stand for it was there when I bought it.
So if I buy a car with remap wheels coils don't declare them and say they were on when I bought it ill get away with it ?
I doubt it very much

I was hammered by my insurance when I changed it mid term for my car as it had tinted windows.
It cost me an extra £150 for the remaining 6 months of the policy.

My dad was also in an accident he had 22" wheels on his 4x4 porsche cayenne the i surance payed out fine not sure how the insurance companies work out but if in doubt you should pay the extra £200 to be safe but it is still shocking £200 for some black windows instead of clear

You have to declare optional extra wheels as it isn't a "standard" part so yes..

Yeah it's a modification to the car, doesn't matter if a private company or the manufacturer did it....The insurance cover your car from standard spec they can't mind read every cars factory added extras. tbh I wouldn't tell them and if u did get in a mess just rip them off... But that's up to u.

You can't rip the tints off its embedded in the glass not stuck on. I'd argue with the insurance that its Audi's own rear windows tint done on the assembly line as an option. Also tell them it's privacy glass to help protect rear contents from potential thieves looking in to see what you might have. Therefore if anything they should be decreasing your premium as you paid more to have that feature.

With my insurance company as long as it was fitted from factory it's fine, so my privacy glass is covered :)

You insure the model of car, so they can't charge extra money if the 'extras' are standard for that model, only if you specify extra 'extras'.

If you buy a 2nd-hand car, how is Joe Soap supposed to know what was on it from the factory?

A modification only has to be declared if it deviates away from the factory standard or "factory option" specification as shown on the purchase invoice from new. If you do not have the invoice, the manufacturer or DVLA can confirm the original new spec for which a fee may be charged.

if you have factory fitted privacy glass it is not a modification.
Any upgrade that is applied to your car after delivery i.e alloys (even OEM), window film, towbar, body kit, paint colour, light upgrades, performance enhancing mechanicals, incl brakes, engine and exhaust all are considered "risk" modifications and should be declared to your insurer.

How do they know its tinted ? You told them ?

Its a dodgy area. I read years ago about a mini, which a woman bought new from a dealer. This dealer fitted some alloys to try and shift the car. When crashed, insurance argued they werent the alloys it should of had, despite being fitted without her even knowing.

Conversely, how is the owner of a used car to know if rear glass came like that, or has been modified.
But, that doesnt mean you can get away with driving an S3 engined 1.4 and claiming you didnt know :)

Its your call at the end of the day. If it was bought from new like it, you have a good chance of arguing it. Some models, or editions come with privacy glass.

gonna have to retract what i said above, i just renewed my car insurance with swift cover and they state

[h=3]Modifications[/h]
  1. You accept that if your car has been modified to enhance its performance in any way, we will not insure it.
  2. If your car has been modified in any way from the manufacturer's standard specification (excluding manufacturer's options fitted at the time of original purchase), you can confirm that you have read the modification screen and have checked that these modifications are acceptable to us.
So i highlighted the important bit in bold. But insurance companies can vary so check the T&C.

Also tints and be wripped off if added after factory. But tru cant be undone if done in factory as its another glass all together

Cheers for all the replies guys! They're all very helpful!

We phoned them today, and lady couldn't get her head round it. All she kept saying was 'have you paid extra' so I said ofcourse we paid extra, but it's a factory fitted option not a modification. She still couldn't hack it.

Were being called by the team on Tuesday who will be looking into it for me. Is there anything I can quote which is law or rules which insurers have to follow?

Thanks guys

A modification only has to be declared if it deviates away from the factory standard or "factory option" specification as shown on the purchase invoice from new. If you do not have the invoice, the manufacturer or DVLA can confirm the original new spec for which a fee may be charged.

if you have factory fitted privacy glass it is not a modification.
Any upgrade that is applied to your car after delivery i.e alloys (even OEM), window film, towbar, body kit, paint colour, light upgrades, performance enhancing mechanicals, incl brakes, engine and exhaust all are considered "risk" modifications and should be declared to your insurer.

^^ This, ignorance in the eyes of the law is not an excuse. All you do is provide an opt out clause for the insurers, and you end up with nowt.

Always declare.

Kevin

^^ This, ignorance in the eyes of the law is not an excuse. All you do is provide an opt out clause for the insurers, and you end up with nowt.

Always declare.

Kevin

Not sure from your post but are you insinuating that my reply is ignorant of the motor insurers code regarding declaration of modifications?

Nah, I read it that he's agreeing with your post, then going on to say that pleading ignorance with the insurer will get you nowhere.

but it's a factory fitted option not a modification. She still couldn't hack it.

did you tell them about your other extras "Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals"?